SSR vs. OKW

colleen costello

<font color=FF99FF>Is in a "just back from OKW and
Our guide called today and said we are "next" on the OKW add-on list. Meanwhile, Saratoga Springs will now be on sale so some decisions need to be made. OKW is a flat $84. SSR is $79 with the $10 discount but we'd need to add-on 100 points. You get the extra years plus the payment isn't due 'til April 1, 2004. Points would be "mine" in May 2004.

I am leaning toward Saratoga. Seems like a pretty good deal. We got similar at Beach Club, $10 off per point but didn't have to forfeit the first year's worth of points for it. I also like the "extra years." I am 38 and would love to be DEAD when my DVC is gone... :) We love OKW but I have never had a problem getting a room at 7 months; I call daily. Right now, the Saratoga add-on seems like a no-brainer... Is it? What do you all think?

I think I would be inclined to do the SSR for the extra years. At your age, it would be worth it. At mine....probably not, since I will be in my 90's when my first DVC runs out!

I also would be leaning towards buying at SSR. The main reason revolves around how OKW is usually pretty easy to get at 7 months or less. We absolutely love OKW, DH has no overwhelming desire to stay anywhere else. However, we bought VWL (that's what was available when we bought), and aren't in a hurry to try to change "homes". Why? We don't see a need for the 11 month window at OKW, but IF we ever want a change to go to VWL, we probably will need that 11 month. I foresee a similar situation with SSR, at least as compares to OKW. SSR is newer, and many people may want to go there in the first few years to try it out. You may need that 11 month window at SSR far more than you'd ever need it at OKW. I'd be interested to know what others think of our theory of not "needing" to own at OKW. Is my thinking flawed or OK?

I just talked to a guide about it. I think it's where I am leaning.

Reasons:

-2054 I'll be 77 at that point and mark my words I'll be at Disney for sure!
-10$ credit is nice, brings the cost down to $79 a point.
-Maintenance fees are $3.80/point
-Point Schedule will be 10% less than Beach Club, according to guide.
-It won't be done until May 04, and that doesn't matter to me, as we were not planning to use it until 05 anyway.

Cons:

-not "connected" to a park (oh well, make sure you have a car, or make sure you don't mind riding the bus).

Those are my thoughts.

I have a question though. In one of the previous posts, someone said that the deposit would not be due until April 04, is this true?

RW

SSR is $79 with the $10 discount but we'd need to add-on 100 points. You get the extra years plus the payment isn't due 'til April 1, 2004. Points would be "mine" in May 2004.
So how does this work? Do you get on a list now to buy in April 04? Do you have to give any money now as a downpayment? If you change your mind between now and April 04 is the deal still binding? Sorry for all the questions, but this deal sounds interesting. Thanks

Here's what I got from my guide. You put down $500 to "hold" your purchased points. Payment not due til March 31st 2004. You can start financing at this point if you like, or pay cash, whatever. Now you "get" the points in your account. You can't use them til the place opens, May 2004. This lets you take advantage of the "pre-opening sale" without having to commit a ton of money right now. I think this is it -- I was taking notes as she spoke and I think I got these main facts correct!

I think this is just like the "pre-sale" at Beach Club. The offer will "end" on opening day. They are offering "no penalty" to buy now. It was the same when we bought Beach Club "early." Couldn't use those points anywhere until the place physically opened on July 1, 2002. (So guess where I was headed on July 1st???) In return, you get a deal like Magical Beginnings but you get to keep the first year's points.

PS: As Lisa, our guide, told me all this, she kept saying "Now you probably know most of this..." I think it's funny that she says I know stuff before her, thanks to the DIS Boards! :)

Hello,

I enjoyed reading this string, as I am currently awaiting my contract from DVC (yipee!), but really worrying if I made the right choice (BC at 210 points, April Use Year). I am second guessing myself and thinking Saratoga or BW would be better.

I put my first post on these boards just a few minutes ago, asking for advice on which resort to choose. But I thought maybe it would be a good idea to ask you too, as it seems you know an awful lot about all this.

Thanks for your help.

ArRzrbk

Given those choices, SS is a no brainer. Still, you could go resale and save some money. If I wanted OKW points of 100 or more, I'd go resale.

I agree with Dean, if I wanted OKW, or less than 100 points I would look at a resale, preferably with banked points.
SSR is only a "bargain" (if it's saving you $5 per point ) as long as you actually want that number of points.

SSR is only a "bargain" (if it's saving you $5 per point ) as long as you actually want that number of points.
Depending on the ages of the buyers and if they will actually be young enough to use the extra years of the contract or if they have children that will use the extra years of the contract, then the SSR deal is worth a great deal more than a $5.00 per pt savings. Also if they prefer to stay at OKW they can always use the pts there, at least until 2042! OKW is almost always available with the exception of certain times for GVs, so I doubt this would be a problem.

In my opinion, SSR is a poor deal. It has the same tiny rooms as BWV and BCV without the premium location. Its the same location as OKW, yet it has tiny rooms and a higher point schedule. I can't see any advantadge to SSR over OKW.....except the later ending date. That is a big one, but I really have to believe that there will be some way to extend older memberships in the future.

If it didn't have those same tiny, cramped rooms as BWV, it would be a no-brainer.

I am in the process of joining DVC now (BCV, 210 Points, April Use Year, Magicial Beginnings), and I asked our guide about what they will do in 2042.

She said they are already thinking ahead, will always be adding new DVC spots, and will probably poll the members to gauge interest in continuing their memberships and do some kind of offering to them, if the interest is there.

ArRzrbk

Originally posted by ArRzrbk
I am in the process of joining DVC now (BCV, 210 Points, April Use Year, Magicial Beginnings), and I asked our guide about what they will do in 2042.

She said they are already thinking ahead, will always be adding new DVC spots, and will probably poll the members to gauge interest in continuing their memberships and do some kind of offering to them, if the interest is there.

ArRzrbk
LOL. When a salesman uses the word probably, you better run.

A one bedroom at OKW costs 18 points less per week than a one bedroom at SSR during January or February. The OKW room is much bigger and the site plan is more open.

Retired snowbirds are going to make it VERY difficult to reserve rooms at OKW during these months for people trying to use their 7 month windows. More and more babyboomers will be retiring over the next 5 or 10 years.

For anyone over the age of 50 I would strongly recommend a resale at OKW.

No new rooms are being added at OKW.

SSR costs 18 points more for a one bedroom for a week in winter than OKW does.

OKW rooms are much bigger and the grounds are more open and quiet.

MANY more DVC members will be retiring over the next 5 or 10 years, and spending weeks at a time in the resorts.

An 11 month window at OKW will become more valuable as senior citizens (Notorious planners) start to use OKW as a winter home.

I use OKW for a 26 day respite from Wisconsin weather each year. I would need to pay 74 extra points for 300 fewer square feet at SSR. Do you think I will?

Thanks, tvwalsh. You bring up a very good point for those of us over 50. We may start looking for that resale.

Originally posted by tvwalsh
SSR costs 18 points more for a one bedroom for a week in winter than OKW does.
OKW rooms are much bigger and the grounds are more open and quiet.
MANY more DVC members will be retiring over the next 5 or 10 years, and spending weeks at a time in the resorts.
An 11 month window at OKW will become more valuable as senior citizens (Notorious planners) start to use OKW as a winter home.
I use OKW for a 26 day respite from Wisconsin weather each year. I would need to pay 74 extra points for 300 fewer square feet at SSR. Do you think I will?

No, and me neither! We only stay at our two homes, OKW and BWV so we can stretch our points and stay weekends (we live in N. Illinois) But...

People bought BCV in a frenzy even though BWV with its standard view points was right across the bay, and all those BCV buyers weren't pool freaks, I'm sure. I think SSR will do fine.

colleen costello

i just read, you are #2 on OKW wAIT LIST?

wHAt use year?

how long, have you been on this waitlist??

Originally posted by tvwalsh
A one bedroom at OKW costs 18 points less per week than a one bedroom at SSR during January or February. The OKW room is much bigger and the site plan is more open.

Retired snowbirds are going to make it VERY difficult to reserve rooms at OKW during these months for people trying to use their 7 month windows. More and more babyboomers will be retiring over the next 5 or 10 years.

biglaugh.gif
............I agree with your thinking above tvwalsh............4 1/2 years to go for us.
biggthumpup.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter