• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR trip report - Mar 23-27 2006

cjb-nc

Mouseketeer
SSR room 1145 - 1BR suite - second from the end of the building on the ground floor. Patio facing the Crab House ship in Downtown Disney. We requested a ground floor room for wheelchair access, but otherwise this is not a handicapped room. No problem there, that's what we wanted. (My wife is a cancer patient on heavy medication. She can walk, but tires quickly.)

We are Boardwalk owners, so this was our first stay in SSR, we made the rez on 3 weeks notice and took what we could get. Nice room as compared to Boardwalk. Same basic layout, except for the extra split in the bathroom for a private toilet room. That worked out nicely as this was our first trip sharing a bathroom with other family.

Parking was, well interesting. The place was pretty full, probably because of spring break season. There was 1, yes only 1, handicapped parking space in the lot, and that was for two big buildings. We had the space on Thursday and Friday. The rest of the weekend it was taken by other guests before we got to it. The morning we left, we had the normal spot right next to the handicapped one. We'd have used the ramp, but someone on staff decided to park one of those monstrous golf-cart-bus-things in the middle of it all morning, effectively blocking the access. I was not impressed.

Walking to Downtown Disney was pretty good, and convenient. The down side is after being in parks all day, you just don't want to walk any more than you have to. The Congress Park area is far from the boat launch... so much so that it was probably closer to walk to DTD than to the boat for DTD.

Friday night my Wife and Sis-in-Law decided to retire early, and I went out on my own to check out the property. It was 9ish at night and the weather all weekend was cool (65ish days, 50s night, windy). The pool was, of course, deserted. Open and pretty, but deserted. There was a crowd of folks in the hot tub, having a good time. The cafe/shop was open and doing a little business. I figured out, after a lot of walking and NO obvious directional signs, how to find the boat launch behind everything. It was deserted, barely lit, and only appeared to be open in that the gate was not closed and locked. I waited maybe 5 minutes for a boat, saw one go by without coming close, and gave up on it. I ended up driving over to DTD that night just to find something to do, SSR was too quiet for me. I suppose that's one of the big reasons we own Boardwalk.

We only managed to get to two of the parks with my wife tired and cold from the cooler weather. Handicap access to Epcot was a breeze. Plenty of spaces, easy access. No problem getting help on any of the few rides we took (including Soarin'). MGM was less impressive. Granted, it's a busy time of year, and we didn't arrive until nearly noon. The handicapped lot was full, so I dopped the ladies off and went back to normal parking. They keep the front few spaces nearest the trams for special access, so I was able to park the car right next to the tram for quicker pickup later. That was nice. Considering the crowd, they did what they could. Kudos.

All told, it was a nice trip, even with the few hiccups. (When is a trip to Disney a bad thing, anyway? :teeth: ) We'd stay at SSR again and be happy with it if it's all that was left open, but I doubt it would ever be our first choice. Just too quiet and remote for my taste. I wish the weather had cooperated and let us go swimming, the pool did look very nice.

Cheers!

cjb-nc said:
. . . We'd have used the ramp, but someone on staff decided to park one of those monstrous golf-cart-bus-things in the middle of it all morning, effectively blocking the access. I was not impressed.
. . .

Thank you for the trip report, I enjoyed reading it! I would send a comment to DVC about the parking issue in general and the "golg-cart-bus" parked on the ramp. That's just not right and a reminder to the staff might help the next guest trying to use the ramp.

Thanks again for the trip report!

Thanks for your trip report. I like your honesty on all good and not so good.

I hope your wife is feeling well and wish her the very best of health.

Good report. Yes the boat launch is pretty hard to find. We stumbled on it by accident while down there.

They do have boats that go to Riverside and FQ from DTD so maybe that was one of the boats you saw and why it didn't stop?

I have never taken the boat to DTD so I don't know.

CRSNDSNY said:
Thanks for your trip report. I like your honesty on all good and not so good.

I hope your wife is feeling well and wish her the very best of health.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read your report. As an SSR owner, I appreciate that you were so objective about the resort and kept a good attitude even when things didn't work out.

I'm totally with you on the sign issue, but I'm optimistic that it's one of those things that will evolve as the resort matures.

Shannon

Thanks for the report. SSR is my home resort and going there for the first time next March. All the best to you and your wife. :wave2:

Thank you for your trip report. I hope your dw is feeling better.

Thank you for your post and best wishes to you and your family.

We love SSR but the signage (to anywhere) can be greatly improved. When we were walking to DTD from Paddocks, there were almost NO signs to direct us and we had to kind of loop our way here and there to find it.

cobbler said:
Good report. Yes the boat launch is pretty hard to find. We stumbled on it by accident while down there.

They do have boats that go to Riverside and FQ from DTD so maybe that was one of the boats you saw and why it didn't stop?

I have never taken the boat to DTD so I don't know.

Very possible. The boat in question came from somewhere in that direction and was obviously cruising toward DTD. The maps or something told me the DTD boat ran every 30 minutes. I merely decided after 5 minutes at a deserted stop, that it wasn't worth finding out if they were right. That 5 minutes would have been better spent walking from the room directly to DTD anyway. You see the boats cruising the stops at Boardwalk stop all the time, so the quiet back there was unsettling. ;)

Hello

I was at SSR March 20th - the 31st - it was great - this was the first time my DH and I went without our son - so we had a Studio and it was in the second building in Congress Park - facing DTD. We really enjoyed it. I like the peacefulness at night and if it gets too quite it is a 10 min stroll to DTD for noise and excitement!

The other thing we enjoy as does our son - who btw turned 21 today - is we can resort hop - which is nice for dining - you can walk over to DTD and catch a bus to any of the Disney resorts and then coming home you take a bus from the resort to DTD! Which is great seeing they run the latest!

I am glad we waited to buy - as for Disney adults and for our son - this resort makes the most sense for us!

Next up we have to add to our 230 points!

Good report.

We also found the boat launch to be pretty useless for transportation purposes - just too long of a wait. But if you just feel like a boat ride and are not in a hurry - then we do that.

I love that SSR is a bit remote and quiet. We look for that in our vacation - after a day at the parks with all the people, it is nice to have that quiet time. To each his own.

We have our first vacation booked outside of our home resort (SSR) at BWV in October. I wanted to be close to Epcot for the food & wine festival - cant wait!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter