SSR Review!Where is the magic? I could have had this view at home...

We have visited AKL many times and I am really looking forward to staying there! The size wasn't the main factor for not likeing SSR - as I said it just wansn't special - you could get that anywhere. Where else can you see animals from your room or near the pool arear etc.??

BWV is also another fave of ours and we are trying BCV in Oct!

Have a great day everyone!

If you are saying that AKL offers something that is hard to find elsewhere, I would agree. But then you mention BWV, which features things I can get for $100/night at the Jersey shore. The boardwalk theme is nothing that someone can't replicate rather easily, at a cheaper cost.

I still go back to my old refrain - if you took most Disney hotels and put them where SSR is located (not on monorail, near DD, near golf course, perceived "far way"), many people would not like them. Contemporary would be empty in that location. Same with Beach Club, Boardwalk, OKW, and more. Likewise, if you put SSR right on the monorail line next to Magic Kingdom, you'd suddenly have one of the most prized and revered resorts. That is the nature of the game...........My case in point is always AKL. Although the OP is a fan of AKL, it is clear that the AKL gets ripped on more than any resort not named SSR. And oddly enough, if it was in a better location (people perceive it as being FAR way, which really isn't the case), it would probably be considered the best Disney resort.

How great that there is variety enough for each type of family !!
Even ones with the same kind of 'demographics' have different favourites.

We usually have 3 to 4 teenagers with us. They do like BWV for the action, but their preference is definitely for SSR. If the adults feel like relaxing in the evening, then they head to DTD. They love the Community Hall. They spend pool time at Congress Park instead of the main pool. I thought they would like the Grandstand pool but they still prefer the Congress Park pool. Go figure...

If you are saying that AKL offers something that is hard to find elsewhere, I would agree. But then you mention BWV, which features things I can get for $100/night at the Jersey shore. The boardwalk theme is nothing that someone can't replicate rather easily, at a cheaper cost.

I still go back to my old refrain - if you took most Disney hotels and put them where SSR is located (not on monorail, near DD, near golf course, perceived "far way"), many people would not like them. Contemporary would be empty in that location. Same with Beach Club, Boardwalk, OKW, and more. Likewise, if you put SSR right on the monorail line next to Magic Kingdom, you'd suddenly have one of the most prized and revered resorts. That is the nature of the game...........My case in point is always AKL. Although the OP is a fan of AKL, it is clear that the AKL gets ripped on more than any resort not named SSR. And oddly enough, if it was in a better location (people perceive it as being FAR way, which really isn't the case), it would probably be considered the best Disney resort.

I would so agree with this. Imagine AKL on the monorail or with a boat to MK. People would totally change their opinions about it. I always find it hard to believe that people think 15 minutes is "far". My lord I sit in traffic for longer than that running to CVS. :rotfl2:

Rutgers1 - you kind of made my point for me! It is true you could put SSR where Contemporary was and it would be a hit – the monorail is what makes it special. SAB makes BC special. Walking to Epcot and MGM makes BCV and BWV special, the boat and theme at VWL makes that special etc. etc. IMO there are a lot of things they could have done to spice SSR up and make it a little more special. I think DTD itself could have made SSR special. If the Congress park section was the whole of SSR, close to DTD etc. then ya, that would have been great. We were in the very back of Grandstand near the golf course. To go to the pool, or DTD was a production. Like I said me and my DD had to take a bus 2 stops away for a playground.

Now we know right – no biggie I’m really glad some people enjoy SSR! I think my parents would love it!

We own at AKV (and LOVE it!) but we stayed at SSR in Jan and had a great time! I thought it was great :) Nice pool, nice fitness center, nice QS :)

Coming from Minnesota, SSR is paradise - whereas the VWL are nothing special to me. I can drive 1 hour north of Minneapolis and have a very similar experience. We love the fact that SSR is a little less Disney. I truly feel like I'm in my home away from home. To each their own, I guess. :) We head to SSR on Friday for a long weekend (can't wait!!) and then back again in Sept.

If you didn't like SSR I doubt you'll like AKV, there's nothing to do there other than look at animals, we're founding members at AKV and we're going to sell those points and get more SSR points, for us it makes sense, less annual dues and maintenance costs, and SSR is the only resort we like. We just spent 8 days at BWV 2 bedroom suite and that place needs a major overhaul and forget about the bus service it was horrible.

I agree with the bus service being horrible. I have not stayed at BWV, but I did stay at BCV. With these two resorts sharing transportation with D&S and having two stops at Y&B club it takes to long to get anywhere other than Epcot.

I admit: it lacks that "certain something" that other Disney themed resorts have. You don't feel transported to different time or place, and it certainly doesn't feel like a special "vacation home," the way the other resorts do. The rooms are not connected to the lobby of a hotel, so there's an entirely different energy to the place. You don't get the hustle and bustle of people coming and going, making plans for the day, gathering for dinner, etc. Much more low key. The theming around horse racing doesn't lend itself to Disney whimsy, either; the one big attempt at playfulness -- the hourly sounding of a racing trumpet -- feels like a lame effort to replicate the hourly geyser eruption at WL. And the rooms could be the rooms at any high-end chain hotel. Nice, but nothing special.

Some people (I'm among them) like aggressive theming. One of the things I like about Disney is how they can take me from Adventureland to Tomorrowland - make the transitions nearly seamless along the way. For people who really like theming, the more aggressively themed resorts speak to them. And theming is an individual thing - I've never been to upstate New York, I'm not familiar with the area through movies and pictures, I don't have a "Saratoga" in my imagination taking up space, so even if the theme is really well executed, I can't appreciate it. Contrast that to the Poly - I do have "South Seas Island" taking up room in my imagination - and the Poly pushes those buttons and transports me there.

The best resorts in DVC for theming - in my opinion, and the opinion of many, if that is important to you, are VAKL and VWL - those two resorts have the ability to transport you out of Florida and let your imagination take you somewhere different. They may not be a place you want to go, Yosemite and Africa aren't appealing to everyone, but they do that better than most resorts. Boardwalk and the BC do it less well (my personal experiences with boardwalks are Santa Cruz and Santa Monica in California, though - my New Jersey boardwalk experiences is all pictures in history books). To me BLT is a hotel decorated in a modern fashion - I don't feel transported by the decor (I like modern decor, but I don't like the color choices made at BLT). OKW takes me out of Florida to put me in Florida (which is appealing for people who enjoy Florida) and SSR doesn't really push any buttons, which I admit, may be my own failing in not being familiar with which buttons its supposed to push.

(I'm really very fond of the Poly and PO/POR as non DVC resorts because I think both places do a good job with this imaginary relocation - I'm less fond of the Grand Floridian - which puts me into a fancy Florida hotel....)

If you didn't like SSR I doubt you'll like AKV, there's nothing to do there other than look at animals, we're founding members at AKV and we're going to sell those points and get more SSR points, for us it makes sense, less annual dues and maintenance costs, and SSR is the only resort we like. We just spent 8 days at BWV 2 bedroom suite and that place needs a major overhaul and forget about the bus service it was horrible.

Guess it's all in your view - we own at both SSR and AKV. I hate, hate, HATE SSR and love, love, LOVE AKV. There was lots more going on than the animals, including kids crafts, games and storytelling to name a few things. The amenities (pool , food, etc) are much more accessible than at some of the areas of SSR, and the new AKV pool looks amazing.

We stayed at SSR for the first time on developer points in January. My DM and DSF really loved it. They weren't planning on doing the parks at all anyway, so they loved having DTD nearby and golf on the premise. They also appreciated the lack of extreme theming, as I think the DSF was dreading a too much Disney vacation. Honestly, I think they would happily stay there many times. Even so, my DM was excited to show DSF AKL when we went to Jiko for dinner. They were both wowed by it, in a way they weren't wowed by SSR, although they enjoyed SSR very much.

DH, DS, and I did the parks almost every day, and it was our first time together neither at an Epcot resort nor on the monorail. Yes, we were a little less than thrilled at having to take a bus everywhere. (So less than thrilled that we switched to taking our car for the last two days.) However, DH really appreciated the laid back condo feel of the resort, and also said he would gladly stay there again. I liked it well enough, as well, but I will probably try to book other resorts first and only book it if nothing else is available. We're hoping to try all the DVC resorts at some point, but, quite honestly, we'll also be happy enough if all we ever book is our two home resorts, AKV and BWV.

Anyway, SSR was fine, but I wasn't blown away, so I totally understand where the OP was coming from. We all liked it well enough that we have contemplating doing an add on there since the resale prices are so low, but the timing is all wrong for us right now. (We're waiting to adopt, and it is a slow and EXPENSIVE proposition...)

What I like about OKW and SSR is the ability to get away from all the Disney on my vacation. I love to go to the parks and water parks, but I still want to be able to be far from the crowds when I am tired of it all. Which is why OKW and SSR fills that need. BWV? Stayed there once and won't stay there again. Too many people. Too much going on. Too far to park. After a day in a theme park, I have no need for hustle and bustle. I like quiet.

But it's good that DVC has something for everyone.

OP, SSR has no need for spicing up. It's a special resort in it's own way. I like subtle.

We loved SSR. We had a DTD view so I felt like we were in Disney the whole time lol!!

Sorry you didn't like it OP.

What I like about OKW and SSR is the ability to get away from all the Disney on my vacation. I love to go to the parks and water parks, but I still want to be able to be far from the crowds when I am tired of it all. Which is why OKW and SSR fills that need. BWV? Stayed there once and won't stay there again. Too many people. Too much going on. Too far to park. After a day in a theme park, I have no need for hustle and bustle. I like quiet.

But it's good that DVC has something for everyone.

OP, SSR has no need for spicing up. It's a special resort in it's own way. I like subtle.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

They're all good its just SSR is our favorite, we like to be able to relax and then be able to walk to DTD and have some fun if we want, I haven't seen Kidani Village yet but I've heard the pool is really nice for the kids thats a plus with a 5 year old. BWV was good so isn't the BC you can't beat the location we just like DTD over the boardwalk, our next few trips will be BLT for Halloween and then a THV for spring vacation next year, we'd like to try them all but so far SSR has been our favorite.

Guess it's all in your view - we own at both SSR and AKV. I hate, hate, HATE SSR and love, love, LOVE AKV. There was lots more going on than the animals, including kids crafts, games and storytelling to name a few things. The amenities (pool , food, etc) are much more accessible than at some of the areas of SSR, and the new AKV pool looks amazing.

We did all that with my 5 year old, its more of when the sunsets there's not much to do for us big people,like maybe a margarita and some people watching. At DTD they are building some more outdoor restaurants and some dinner show restaurants which only makes the place more appealing to us.

Yes! When you enter the lobby, you have to dodge the "cologne girls" with the tester bottles! LOL :rotfl:

Our official title is "Fragrance Model!" I swear I don't do that while at Disney! :lmao: Actually, I don't spray anyone who doesn't ask for it!:rotfl:

:)
Look at it this way, if you need to escape the "Disney" theme
SSR has areas for it and if you need more "Disney" theme there's
Congress park views...oh, and lest us not forget that something
in between...the Tree House Villas! Those boats that cruise by
the THV are just enough Disney themed to remind you of
where you are!:banana:

Ok, I also felt the same way about SSR, and I finally figured out why!

Close your eyes. Imagine what Key West looks like (the real one, not the Disney one). Then imagine what Africa looks like. Then imagine what Yellowstone Park looks like.

You see images in your head, right?

Ok. Now close your eyes and imagine what Saratoga Springs, NY, looks like.

Come up empty? Me too!

The problem is, Saratoga Springs is just NOT iconic enough to build an entire themed resort around!

How many of you had to google Saratoga Springs when they announced it being built because you had NO idea what it was supposed to look like?

I think it's also why a lot of people LOVE the Polynesian because you have this romantic idea of what Hawaii should look like, and when you get there it's very similar to your imagination.:thumbsup2

Nobody fantasizes about the real Saratoga, I think...

We are with you on SSR...At Easter it was the only place available - so we stayed. I tried calling everyday for any other opening prior to our arrival. We had a ground floor studio in Congress Park, building 11. The view was fabulous - we overlooked the water to Downtown Disney. Okay! That was it! Great view! To me SSR is like an aprtment complex to squeeze as much Disney cash out of young families as possible. Sorry - that is MY opinion. There is not any magical warm fuzzy feeling at all. Every morning, we showered and bolted over to OKW where my sister and family were staying. At least at OKW there is so much lush vegetation and scenery. SSR - everything is spread out, the Artist's Palette is absolutely nothing to brag about - food like any other. The spa is not reasonable. I feel sorry for the people who have to use the busses, because they seem to be walking miles (smiles were not visible). The pool is so plain. There is nothing "wow" about it. In fact the main pool is so small in comparison to all of the "housing." To me DVC really missed on SSR!! It is pretty, the rooms are pretty, but honestly the convenience and magic are not there. Oh yeah, our teenagers did finally walk to Downtown on the last day. If you are looking simply for a place to stay without being entertained then SSR is your place. Disney needs to step up to us Baby Boomers and give us more entertainment for all of the money that we spend there. We bought in DVC for the "magic." There was great magic in the earlier years, but I have noticed that the larger DVC grows the smaller the "magic" seems to be. I have conveyed this to our sales guy to take to their meetings. I am expecting a lot from Kidani Village and the DVC claim that the pool area will blow away Storm Along Bay. Bay Lake Towers is not my cup of tea - I am not into the futuristic decor from a 1960's perspective. The model room was cold and not very Disney. Oh well, just my opinion....

Hi everyone!
Figured this being our first post,this thread was a great place to jump in.
My wife Deb and I bought into SSP back in 2003 and we have stayed there 3 times. I can see everyone's points on this post so here's ours.It is a wonderful place to stay being just adults.I can't comment on being with children because we go by ourselves!The nightlife being steps away is fantastic. The shopping being right there also is amazing.Golf right on your doorstep is a great feature and having the best spa of any disney resort is something not to be missed.I guess the size of it sort of makes it tough or uncomfortable for people with children.Although they need another restaurant.we find it a great place to stay.We have stayed at WL,CSR and AK and love them all for the bit of difference each place gives you. In fact just bought into AK and going for our first 2 week stay over thanksgiving this year.Splitting the time between both SSR and AK.I guess we just think that every disney place has its own " special" feel.:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter