• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR or OKW - won a trip and it looks like these are my options...

txaggiemomof3

Mouseketeer
I recently won a trip through the WDW Christmas Day Parade Sweepstakes. DVC was the sponsor so our trip included 5 night accomodations at a studio in SSR. Because we are a family of 5, we were told we could not stay in the studio and they changed our prize to 3 nights in a one bedroom villa at AKV (to keep within our prize value since the AKV 1 bdrm. was more expensive). We won the trip in January but we were just turned over to a Disney planner a few weeks ago. Of course, now there is no availability at AKV for when we want to go (June). There was very little availability for AKV, period, which was a little disheartening to hear. I was just told today that we can stay at SSR in a one bedroom villa but we have to provide bedding for the 5th person in our party. I'm not thrilled with that but we would manage. There is availability at SSR in June so I told the planner to book those dates. I really wanted to stay at AKV, esp. since we lost two nights of our trip supposedly b/c that was the only resort that would accomodate 5 in a one bedroom. I did ask the Disney planner about availability at other DVC resorts now that they have told us we can stay in any one bedroom villa. I'm waiting to hear back from her (she has to call DVC member services, then get back to me). From reading the DVC boards, I'm guessing only SSR and OKW will have availabilty this close to June.

So with all of that out of the way, my question is, does anyone have any feedback regarding SSR vs. OKW one bedroom villas? I'm wondering if I should request OKW over SSR. Are the amenities better at one over the other? I have three kids - 12, 9 and 6. We have been to Disney twice in the past few years. Both times we stayed at POR. We are looking for something different! We have booked a room at the Yacht Club for the first three days of our trip and then will switch over to the free portion of our trip at a DVC resort. I'm wondering if I should ask about waitlisting or if that is even an option since this was part of a promotional contest.

I'm thrilled to have won this but have never stressed so much about a trip!

Thanks in advance!

If your only choices are OKW or SSR, I would take OKW in a heartbeat. The 1BR's are HUGE! There would be no problem putting a family of five in there, as long as they are allowing it. You could easily fit an aerobed in the living room with the sofa pulled out. You could probably even fit one in the master bedroom. I think the 1BR's at OKW are almost 1000 sq.ft. so, unless you are 5 adults, you should have plenty of room.

Congratulations on your win! :worship:

You might be able to put the six year old on the love seat at OKW with a lightweight sleeping bag and a chair against it to preven rolling off and the other two on the pull out sofa. I agree OKW is the way to go if you are given a choice.

I did notice that the OKW 1-bedrooms had more square footage. Thanks for the info! My 6 yr. old has been used to sleeping on a trundle at POR so he doesn't know any different :) I would probably like the extra room though. Can you request water view rooms at each? I know OKW is a little older than SSR but is it very noticeable? I had no idea OKW or SSR were even an option until today so I've got lots of research to do :) Thanks again for the feedback!

Since your youngest has comfortably slept on the POR trundle, I wonder if you'd be comfortable in a BWV studio with its little daybed. Just another options to consider. If you'd prefer the shorter stay with more space and privacy in a 1BR, never mind. :)

I wish we could stay in a studio but we can't as a family of 5. I would love to stay at BCV or BWV just b/c we will be at Yacht Club the beginning of that week and would like to stay in that area. Not holding my breath that they will have any availability though.

You can't really go wrong at either SSR or OKW, but we prefer SSR. Yes, the rooms are smaller, but we absolutely love SSR - the decor, Artists Palette and the Turf Club, the walk to DTD, High Rock Spring pool and the quiet pools....all give SSR the edge of OKW in my opinion.

Of course, others make the argument of OKW too!:goodvibes

Congrats on winning! Sorry you are stressed, but I bet that stress melts away once you are there.....Enjoy!:cool1:

I did notice that the OKW 1-bedrooms had more square footage. Thanks for the info! My 6 yr. old has been used to sleeping on a trundle at POR so he doesn't know any different :) I would probably like the extra room though. Can you request water view rooms at each? I know OKW is a little older than SSR but is it very noticeable? I had no idea OKW or SSR were even an option until today so I've got lots of research to do :) Thanks again for the feedback!

OKW does show it's age some but the size makes up for it IMO. The SSR 1bedrooms seem tiny in comparison.

I'm not sure if OKW has waterview category or not as it is a golf course resort. I'd ask for near Hospitality House myself, just to be close to the pool/boat to DTD/drink refill station/etc

Congrats on the win!:goodvibes

Congratulations on your win! I think you will find either SSR or OKW to be wonderful. We own at SSR, but enjoy staying at OKW just as much!

Here are 2 threads that might help you with information about the 2 DVC resorts. You should find lots of pictures throughout these threads too!

SSR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1329308

OKW: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1375743

Since your youngest has comfortably slept on the POR trundle, I wonder if you'd be comfortable in a BWV studio with its little daybed. Just another options to consider. If you'd prefer the shorter stay with more space and privacy in a 1BR, never mind. :)

That little "daybed" isn't big enough for a six year old. It's only crib sized.

At OKW you would have one king sized bed and one queen sized sleeper sofa. The cushions come off of the sleeper sofa (at some of the resorts, they don't come off), so you could make a small bed on the floor for the six year old. Or use the love seat which would be bigger than that BWV "daybed".

There are a lot of water views at OKW, Trumbo Canal and all the water traps on the golf course. My husband is one who always chooses to request a water view for us at OKW. The OKW one bedroom is much bigger than the SSR one bedroom (which is about the same size as all the other one bedrooms). They built OKW first, found out DVC was a gold mine and ran with it (downsizing the villas to make a little more cash).

What's nice about OKW is that you are never far from anything there. You can hop any bus from where you are to get over to the Hospitality House where Olivia's is located as well as the themed pool. Then you can either take the Internal Bus (or DTD bus) back to your area or walk over to Peninsular Road busstop and get a bus back to Miller's Road, South Point or Turtle Pond.

By the way, I'm also an Aggie - class of '78. Civil Engineering.

Hands down, OKW! The 6 year old can make a bed on the love seat (a real full sized love seat) while the other children can sleep on the pull out queen size sleep sofa. There is a LOT of room in an OKW 1 bedroom, so I would definitely choose that over any other DVC 1 bedroom.

Hands down, OKW! The 6 year old can make a bed on the love seat (a real full sized love seat) while the other children can sleep on the pull out queen size sleep sofa. There is a LOT of room in an OKW 1 bedroom, so I would definitely choose that over any other DVC 1 bedroom.

We're also a family of 5 and own at OKW. We're staying in a 1 bdrm in October and that's what we're planning on doing.

Another vote for OKW. Yes its a teeny bit dated but like others metioned, the size of the room more than makes up for it. The grounds are beautiful too. I will say though, the pools at the other resorts are MUCH better!

One more vote for OKW. The 1BR are very comfortable. And as someone else suggested, just ask for a water view.

Congrats on your win and enjoy your trip.

OKW. The rooms are so much bigger. When we get a 1 bedroom, we open the couch and can still fit a queen size aero bed and have plenty of room to walk around. Great porch with table and four chairs and ceiling fan. The main pool is great with a great slide. Good drinks at the bar and Olivia's is great for lunch or dinner. Hope you have a great trip. Congrats:banana:

OKW - all the way!!!! With 5 people you will enjoy the larger villa and full size W/D! The living room in OKW will accomadate a 5th person on the floor easily. At SSR it will be a tight fit. OKW may be a bit dated, but with 5 I'd go with larger size!

Hi there! Congrats on your win!!

I am officially the oddball on this thread I think. We prefer SSR over OKW, hands down. :thumbsup2

We are also a family of 5 (kids are 11,9 and 5) and have no problem with the size of the one bedroom at SSR. We bring an airbed for our youngest.

SSR is newer and in our opinion, it is a big plus over OKW. (Just our opinion of course...lots of different opinions on resorts)

Wherever you stay, Have a great trip!!:goodvibes

Thanks so much everyone! I'm still not sure what we will do although I think we will be happy with either choice. We are used to small rooms at POR so I think anything will seem huge to us :) I don't even know for sure that we can get in there but will ask about it tomorrow. Should also find out if anything else is available and if I can be waitlisted. We are excited about the trip - it's just been a rollercoaster ride getting everything ironed out with Disney. Can't wait to go again though!!!

Deb&Bill - Gig'em! :thumbsup2 Nice to see some fellow Aggies on the DIS boards!

Hi, I would definately recommend ssr over okw...if you can ask to stay in congress park. Dont stress too much over where to stay, chances are you wont be in the room to much anyways and remember..no matter where you stay you are going to have a fabulous time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter