• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR or AKV better for 1st time DVC purchaser?

peaches0313

DIS Veteran
We would more than likely prefer to stay at AKL and other resorts. Not interested in staying at SSR but the annual dues are lower. We would just hope to book at several different resorts at 7 months out (and sometimes at AKV). Is there a reason I'm overlooking to book at SSR instead if the price is better?? And, yes, I do realize we would not always be guaranteed to get our resort of choice at 7 months out. Thank you!

If you would want to use the AKV Concierge Level or Value accommodations, you would want to own AKV. Otherwise, besides peak times of the year (e.g., New Years), you shouldn't have too many issues getting AKV at the 7 month window, though, as you know, its not guaranteed.

I would buy SSR, learn about DVC, the pluses, minuses, availability, and most importantly, which resorts are your favorite. Later you can buy at your favorite resort once you realize that booking at 7 months may not always happen.

:earsboy: Bill

My personal recommendation is SSR if you're not mostly going to stay at AKL, and want their concierge or value rooms.

If you like Kidani your chances are better at 7 months. Jambo isn't the easiest to get anymore.

We own at SSR but stay quite frequently at AKV Kidani. Only problems we have ever had was at the 6th month time getting the value two bedroom villa. You should have no problem if you buy at SSR but stay at Kidani (Jambo could be different).

Keep in mind ssr was 15 to 20% cheaper than akv over the last few years and then all the sudden they are about even. The security of knowing I can always get akv even at Christmas , 2nd week if December, and values and concierge made 1$ per point more in dues than worth it for us.

With that said..animal kingdom is also our favorite park and we love everything about Jambo. So you may not have the same likes as us.

SSR is a good value and disney springs revamp has really improved it's locations - you want to wrong either way

We would more than likely prefer to stay at AKL and other resorts. Not interested in staying at SSR but the annual dues are lower. We would just hope to book at several different resorts at 7 months out (and sometimes at AKV). Is there a reason I'm overlooking to book at SSR instead if the price is better?? And, yes, I do realize we would not always be guaranteed to get our resort of choice at 7 months out. Thank you!
Other than for 3 BR, value and concierge, SSR is a much better choice for your stated plan if you're OK with the risk of not getting what you want EVERY time.

We own at SSR and have stayed at AK many times. Honestly we like SSR better because of a few small things: we feel the rooms a larger, we like having the sink separate from the tub/toilet so its easier to get ready. You cant go wrong with either.

Have you stayed at either SSR or AKV Jambo House and Kidani Village? I can't recommend anyone buying DVC without at least visiting each resort once.

Also until you stay at each resort you are not going to know what fits your family the best. 50 plus years is a very long time. We have had our DVC for about 20 years and what we like now in a resort is so different than when we were new members.

For example though we love the Epcot area, BWV and BCV are our two least favorite resorts to stay at. Both AKV and SSR have reliable transportation to all parks. Unless you know you will regularly book concierge or a grand villa at AKL I would go with what cost less.

As tickets, food, travel costs to get to WDW go up each year, the trip becomes very expensive quickly.

We had the same decision, and Animal Kingdom was our choice. Paying a bit more on dues was worth priority booking. The extra 3 years did matter to us.

I'm probably going to get into trouble for this - all personal opinion, not the word of god, do not eat, contents settle on shipping....

NO. To BOTH.

First - where would you LIKE to stay? If either of the above? Ignore my post.

Now - the most important thing you can do with a DVC Contract is to HOME yourself at the location you really like. That is because you will get an 11 month booking window there. WDW will gladly explain how you may book anywhere - and it's baloney. You will get a 7 month booking window "everywhere else" - good luck actually GETTING anything, except Saratoga Springs.

Second point: NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH is sold out. Sandy and I got a VWL contract by being adamant with Disney - YEARS after it was "sold out". "Sold Out" is a marketing myth, designed to get you to buy whatever Disney happens to be pushing at any given moment. Just say no - and explain that if they want your money? YOU want the resort you like. Be firm, demand what you want.... be amazed when it materializes :).

Now - the most important thing you can do with a DVC Contract is to HOME yourself at the location you really like. That is because you will get an 11 month booking window there. WDW will gladly explain how you may book anywhere - and it's baloney. You will get a 7 month booking window "everywhere else" - good luck actually GETTING anything, except Saratoga Springs.
For some this is true, for many it isn't. Part of the issue is that almost no new owners know what they'll want even when they think they do. My feeling is it's better to underbuy than overbuy for both resort and package size assuming one is hitting at least 150 points. Put another way, it's far better to buy SSR and hate it and never be able to get what you want than to buy VGF or Poly retail and use for AKV, SSR & OKW mostly. Obviously the ideal is to truly know what you want and make a decision accordingly. For some that may mean a specific home resort for others it'll mean the cheapest/best value and for others it may mean multiple home resorts. Obviously one isn't going to buy SSR and get VGF routinely but a new buyer needs to spend enough time and gather enough information AND experience to get past most of the emotions. I think part of the key issue is that I question your assertion that SSR is the only fairly easy 7 month option. Certainly AKV, OKW and SSR will be the easy ones but other resorts can be had with reasonable planning and use of the wait list.

I have owned at SSR for 7 years and have stayed there once. I like it and have no problem if we end up staying there but we have always gotten a different resort at the 7 month mark every year except 1 in the past 7 years. We have stayed at BCV, VWL, BLT, AKL, OKW and have been in March, April, May, June, Oct and December. We have had great luck getting what we want at the 7 month mark for studios, 1 and 2 bdr.
So I would say buy cheaper and save a little money.
Also if you are interested in the tree house units at SSR you would be able to book those at the 11 month mark if you buy at SSR.

My advice is always buy where you want to stay. If having a place on property to sleep is all you care about then buy the cheapest option.

It's always a personal decision, your likes and dislikes. Not sure if the dues would make a big difference one way or the other in your decision. I gues s the best advice I have always read here is buy where you want to stay.

We bought DVC back in 2003, and got in at SSR (which was being built at the time). We love SSR, it is quiet, tranquil, and a beautiful resort to walk around. I am also a golfer, so have the course right there is another advantage. I also like having DTD just a short walk away, whether it is to go over for dinner, or just a different place to hang out for awhile.

On that note, we have been able to reserve at AKV at the 7 month window (we stayed at Kidani 3x), and had no problems. These trips were all in October (we love the F&W Fest), so I cant speak to other times of the year, but it was never an issue for us to stay at AKV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter