SSR - Major Changes to points - Standard / Preferred Categories

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
Am I blind and just don't see a thread on it yet? Appartently the new points charts are out, and they restructured the SSR points charts so there is now a Standard and a Preferred room category. I haven't really looked at all the implications - but the obvious one is there is now a favorability to being an owner at SSR. Undoubtably the standard rooms will be more popular as they are lower points, so owning at SSR will give you an advantage to get those (I am attempting to analyze the point structure to estimate what % of rooms will be Standard vs Preferred.

If this thread is already started somewhere - I apologize for reposting...

2017 SSR.jpg

So I did a quick comparison. Based on the points shift - I would say that there has to be more rooms that are "Standard" than "Preffered".

The shift is as follows:
Deluxe Studios:
Standard - 1 to 2 points LESS per night
Preferred - 1 point MORE per night
Result: Small effect

One-Bedroom Villas:
Standard - 2 points LESS per night
Preferred - 2-4 points MORE per night
Result: Moderate effect

Two-Bedroom Villas:
Standard - 3 points LESS per night
Preferred - 4 to 9 points MORE per night
Result: Moderate effect / Large effect during Magic/Premiere Season

Three-Bedroom Villas:
Standard - 3 points LESS per night
Preferred - 8 to 16 points MORE per night
Result: Huge effect

Based on the points distribution - they are shifting a higher % of points to the 2 and 3 bedroom preferred units than they are to the studios and one-bedrooms. A week in a Grand Villa preferred will be almost 100 more points per night in Magic/Premiere season, but even 60 more points in the lesser seasons than they currently are.

Attachments

• DSSR2017Point Chart.pdf
    281.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thread here: 2017 Points Charts Out

Congress Park and Springs are Preferred. Paddock, Carousel and Grandstand are Standard. The math works out to within a reasonable variance.

OK - that thread doesn't specifically cover the SSR charts though they are certainly talked about.

Added brief analysis to post #1.

I'm confused...As a current SSR DVC owner, I don't know if I should be happy about this, or be upset....I've been lucky to get stays at other resorts, but I know I will be staying here soon enough.....Most likely I would've chosen CP, & then Springs I'm guessing.....Are the new points the same as the old ones for these 2 bldgs. and cheaper at the other 3 now? Or are they the same...

Edited...Sry..Hit the wrong button:

It appears that (in a Studio) scenario, If you didn't have a preference prior to this then you'll be in luck, because points go down by 7 for the whole week. And this is for all seasons..except for Choice & Premier...... Those they go down 12 & 9 respectfully...

If you always stayed in Springs or CP, then on all seasons they go up 7 points...

Those are the more popular ,so they can command a lil higher price....It seems about right I'm guessin...

Last edited:
I'm confused...As a current SSR DVC owner, I don't know if I should be happy about this, or be upset....I've been lucky to get stays at other resorts, but I know I will be staying here soon enough.....Most likely I would've chosen CP, & then Springs I'm guessing.....Are the new points the same as the old ones for these 2 bldgs. and cheaper at the other 3 now? Or are they the same...

Edited...Sry..Hit the wrong button:

It appears that (in a Studio) scenario, If you didn't have a preference prior to this then you'll be in luck, because points go down by 7 for the whole week. And this is for all seasons..except for Choice & Premier...... Those they go down 12 & 9 respectfully...

If you always stayed in Springs or CP, then on all seasons they go up 7 points...

Those are the more popular ,so they can command a lil higher price....It seems about right I'm guessin...

Yes - springs and Congress Park went up by about 10-15% (Except the Grand Villas - which went up by more like 20%). The other areas all went down by about 10%. Overall - the cost of a preferred location will be about 20% more than for a standard location. (the % is not consistent, but you can see that difference in the points table for any room/season. The treehouse villas remained the same.

I'm actually surprised they took this long to do something. SSR is the largest resort and one of the very few that doesn't have some type of special view/location option. Everyone wants to stay near the carriage house or near Disney Springs, so it makes sense. I actually prefer grandstand, so I guess it might be harder to get that in the future!

I'm actually surprised they took this long to do something. SSR is the largest resort and one of the very few that doesn't have some type of special view/location option. Everyone wants to stay near the carriage house or near Disney Springs, so it makes sense. I actually prefer grandstand, so I guess it might be harder to get that in the future!

I was going to say....Isn't grandstand near a bridge to Disney Springs on the other side?? And also has a nice pool as well?

The only drawback is no quick food service Correct??

Everyone wants to stay near the carriage house or near Disney Springs, so it makes sense.

But that's not true.

And in doing this, in a way, they are making the non-preferred areas "preferred", because of the idea that the owners will book the cheaper NON-preferred areas up first.

It's really weird IMO.

But that's not true.

And in doing this, in a way, they are making the non-preferred areas "preferred", because of the idea that the owners will book the cheaper NON-preferred areas up first.

It's really weird IMO.

I disagree. I wouldn't use an absolute like "everyone" wants to stay in those areas, but I do believe that Congress Park and The Springs are the most requested areas.

The Springs is a no brainer--right across from the Hospitality House with all of its amenities. Congress Park is about the same distance from the HH as The Grandstand. Plus CP has the advantages of close walk to Disney Springs and 70-80% of its rooms have a very nice view of Disney Springs. Don't underestimate the appeal of a good balcony view...especially when you aren't paying extra for it (until now!)

The Grandstand gets a lot of play online due to it being the first bus stop. But most DVC owners don't live online and I don't think many people pay attention to that stuff. Especially if they have a car during their trip.

I was going to say....Isn't grandstand near a bridge to Disney Springs on the other side?? And also has a nice pool as well?

The only drawback is no quick food service Correct??

The only marked walking path to Disney Springs is on the southeast side of Congress Park, leading over to the Marketplace. There are walkways--created primarily for golf course access--which can be used to reach the West Side but the route is relatively unknown.

Or Own at SSR, and get lucky to book a standard at BWV....This happened twice so far for me....

I bought SSR in 2011 and haven't stayed here yet....Not because I don't want to,but rather because I figured I'd always try for another resort 1st, ( which I've been lucky to get ) and then have a fallback@ SSR... Problem is this. *(If u can call it a prob.) If I were to stay at SSR I too would prefer CP, I think or Springs for the close proximity...Will this now change my decision in terms of now booking at 11 mos. I never had to book at 11 months because SSR would always be available at the 6 1/2 or 7 mos. Now at 11 months I have to start the booking process, and secure CP, or SPRINGS. Then @ 7 months try to grab a different resort. Problem is this....I usually start banking my points between the 11 & 7 month mark...Now if I book, and then change my mind at 7 mos. the difference in points will go into holding, correct? Most likel;y those points wouldn't get used and therefore wasted...>:confused3

Or Own at SSR, and get lucky to book a standard at BWV....This happened twice so far for me....

I bought SSR in 2011 and haven't stayed here yet....Not because I don't want to,but rather because I figured I'd always try for another resort 1st, ( which I've been lucky to get ) and then have a fallback@ SSR... Problem is this. *(If u can call it a prob.) If I were to stay at SSR I too would prefer CP, I think or Springs for the close proximity...Will this now change my decision in terms of now booking at 11 mos. I never had to book at 11 months because SSR would always be available at the 6 1/2 or 7 mos. Now at 11 months I have to start the booking process, and secure CP, or SPRINGS. Then @ 7 months try to grab a different resort. Problem is this....I usually start banking my points between the 11 & 7 month mark...Now if I book, and then change my mind at 7 mos. the difference in points will go into holding, correct? Most likel;y those points wouldn't get used and therefore wasted...>:confused3

Book an extra day at the other resort if the points are cheaper or a day less at your home resort.

Book an extra day at the other resort if the points are cheaper or a day less at your home resort.

Not bad when driving, I guess, but when I already have flights booked , it can be tricky..

You are presuming the preferred location will be harder to get. I think this is not what will happen. I think more than likely most of the year, BOTH will be available at 7 months. However, at busy times of year, if one type is out, it will likely be the standard view that will be out.

Your biggest issue is if you want to stay CP or Springs, your costs went up significantly.

Now if I book, and then change my mind at 7 mos. the difference in points will go into holding, correct?
Points only go into holding if you cancel at 30 days out. At 7 months, your points will just be regular points; either banked, current, or borrowed depending on what you used to make the reservation. Current points could be banked as long as you haven't reached the banking deadline. I can't come up with any scenario where cancelling at 7 months would leave points stranded.

Points only go into holding if you cancel at 30 days out. At 7 months, your points will just be regular points; either banked, current, or borrowed depending on what you used to make the reservation. Current points could be banked as long as you haven't reached the banking deadline. I can't come up with any scenario where cancelling at 7 months would leave points stranded.

My banking deadline is Jan. 31. for June use year. If we go in Oct. or early Nov. usually my points will have already been banked.( and can't be used from that Jan. to June ) And thats not the problem.. But I'm guessing if I have to book at 11 mos. out now, which will be prior to Jan. 31 and things change from that point to arrival, what will happen to the difference in points booked to the new points used at a different resort....Let's say it is like 20 or so pts. Those points will have been last years points. Do they automatically got restocked and then Ill have to use them before June the following year?

EDIT: Sorry about this being confusing.

My banking deadline is Jan. 31. for June use year. If we go in Oct. or early Nov. usually my points will have already been banked.( and can't be used from that Jan. to June ) And thats not the problem.. But I'm guessing if I have to book at 11 mos. out now, which will be prior to Jan. 31 and things change from that point to arrival, what will happen to the difference in points booked to the new points used at a different resort....Let's say it is like 20 or so pts. Those points will have been last years points. Do they automatically got restocked and then Ill have to use them before June the following year?

EDIT: Sorry about this being confusing.
You're focused on the wrong year. I understand it can be confusing. If you banked points to make the reservation, they remain in the new use year. Points are never returned after they are banked or borrowed. But, that may be irrelevant, because you'll use banked and borrowed points first, and current year points will be returned.

So, if you made the entire October reservation with banked points, then those 20 points would need to be used before next June; you'd have a full 7 months to use them before they're lost. But, if you used at least 20 current-year points, then those points would be returned. Using the October reservation as an example again, you'd have a full 7 months to use them, or three full months before your banking deadline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter