• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR Lovers and/or Owners Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow SSRers

We are about to take our first DVC trip to SSR in less than four weeks time! So excited!

I remember our guide telling us about movies being shown at poolside in evenings and wondered if anyone had done this or knows what is being shown in the coming months and what times it happens at?

Also anyone used the recreation room - cant remember proper name for it - where kids could do crafts etc?

Do they do any activities for kids at poolside?

Also how long is the cycle round resort?

Just looking at all our options for our first trip. Want to make sure we experience it all! :) Or least know what is there!

thanks
shelley

Hi fellow SSRers

We are about to take our first DVC trip to SSR in less than four weeks time! So excited!

I remember our guide telling us about movies being shown at poolside in evenings and wondered if anyone had done this or knows what is being shown in the coming months and what times it happens at?

Also anyone used the recreation room - cant remember proper name for it - where kids could do crafts etc?

Do they do any activities for kids at poolside?

Also how long is the cycle round resort?

Just looking at all our options for our first trip. Want to make sure we experience it all! :) Or least know what is there!

thanks
shelley

Welcome Home! Congratulations! :cool1:

Movies are still held pool side at the main pool. Currently, the main pool is being refurbished, so the events are being held at Grand Stand pool. You will get an activity sheet for every day, when you check-in.

The community hall is next to the main pool. There is were all the indoor activities and crafts take place.

Not sure by what you are asking about the cycle around the resort? If you mean the walking paths, they are pretty extensive. Probably the most out of all the DVC resorts.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Do you have an idea when the refurbishment on the main pool will be finished? Surely before Spring Break?

Community Hall! That's it - name went right out of my head.

Anyone there right now, who could post what activities are on right now - just to give an idea of what to expect?

I wondering how long it took to cycle completely round the resort on the paths. Is it a half hour cycle? something like that?

Thanks for info - can't wait to go HOME!

shelley

Thanks Tom,

Do you have an idea when the refurbishment on the main pool will be finished? Surely before Spring Break?

Community Hall! That's it - name went right out of my head.

Anyone there right now, who could post what activities are on right now - just to give an idea of what to expect?

I wondering how long it took to cycle completely round the resort on the paths. Is it a half hour cycle? something like that?

Thanks for info - can't wait to go HOME!

shelley

The refurbishment will end March 30th.

The path goes around the whole resort. Plus, the path does go over to OKW and DTD, but I would not ride over to there.

The refurbishment will end March 30th.

The path goes around the whole resort. Plus, the path does go over to OKW and DTD, but I would not ride over to there.

My DH rented a bicycle last summer. By himself, rode 30 minutes. He rode around the lake and over the bridge to OKW and back to the community hall. You can not take the bicycles to DTD. There's a bike rack near the end of the SSR walkway reminding you the bicycles must stay on property. It was strange to me since you don't have locks with you so why would you leave the bikes there anyway. My DH had a great time, my DN (7) took one out for a short time only around the lake.

We love SSR (our home resort), but have stayed at OKW the last few times. We got a 2 Bedroom to accomodate having some family stay with us, and the points go very far at OKW. So, it has been our stop the last few visits.

We have SSR booked for October 2009, and the only thing we may try is to switch to BWV (due to the F&W Fest). I will find out this week if we can change the reservation, if not, we will be back home at SSR and looking forward to it.

Just putting my two cents in - SSR RULES!!!

Our first SSR visit is fast approaching and I was wondering if they sell the refillable mugs there and if you can use them there and where etc? I was not sure since this one is DVC all the way through.

They brought the mugs and glasses back as of NYE. I believe the permit for the onsite dishwasher came through by then. We had them in our studio.

Oh thanks! I'm excited to have the real mugs, and the dishwasher will be a plus, too! We won't be cooking, but it will be nice to wash our glasses and mugs out, and we do eat a quick breakfast in the room!

Hi. I've been reading through the thread, since we're trying to decide between BCV and SSR for a trip in August. I love your description of NO crowds at SSR - we prefer a slower pace. But we like the boat transportation and park proximity at the Beach Club. Can you give me your opinion as to what would be best for first time 1BR folks?

Thanks,

I can give you my opinion on both experiences. We stayed at SSR for a week in November and BCV for a week just days ago! I love both! It would be really hard to pick a favorite since they both have their own advantages. Smart of DVC IMHO!

BCV is in a great location. You can't beat that! Our walk to EPCOT was around 10 minutes--could be less if you aren't lugging kids. IF you plan to spend a lot of time at EPCOT, this is the place to be! The pool is great. Overall beautiful resort. There is a "hotel" feel when you walk in the lobby and head to your villa. Since the hallways are interior, I always wanted to be completely dry from the pool and wearing shoes and nice cover-up if walking through the lobby--which I had to do to get to the pool. Would I consider that a negative, no, but something I had to be aware of. There is a way to get to the villas without going through the lobby but at some point in the day, I found myself going through it. Most of the time when coming from the pool or beach. Oh, and it seemed like a long drive to DTD or when going off property. Buses to parks were very crowded and rarely did we get a seat on our way to a park! Now this, I consider a big negative, especially with little kids and a stroller in tow!

Now, SSR is much more laid back. You see less people since you walk either from your car or bus, to your room. No lobby to pass through. Pool is very nice but nothing compared to BCV. Same activities offered for kids. Movie at pool (movie is on beach at BCV). When we came back to our room, it seemed like we were "removed" from the hustle and bustle of the parks. Something I rarely felt at BCV. Rooms are beautiful (as are BCV) but with less wear and tear. Lots of walking paths if you are a runner/walker. It just seemed very peaceful at SSR. The reason why we purchased SSR.

ETA: You mentioned water transportation. To get the boat to EPCOT from BCV, you have to walk in the opposite direction of EPCOT to get the boat, take it to the Boardwalk, then to EPCOT. It was a total waste of time. We did not walk/boat to DHS so I can't comment on that.

HTH,
Blakely

Hello

Just thinking ahead. We have ADRs for Chef Mickeys at 07.20am

What time to buses start at SSR and what route would I got - to T&T and then Monorail? Or bus directly?

First year we have managed to get to Chef Mickeys and now worried wont make it on time,

thanks
michelle

Hello

Just thinking ahead. We have ADRs for Chef Mickeys at 07.20am

What time to buses start at SSR and what route would I got - to T&T and then Monorail? Or bus directly?

First year we have managed to get to Chef Mickeys and now worried wont make it on time,

thanks
michelle

Assuming you don't have a car, I would take a taxi, it is unlikely the buses will be running early enough to make a 7:20am reservation.

Our first SSR visit is fast approaching and I was wondering if they sell the refillable mugs there and if you can use them there and where etc? I was not sure since this one is DVC all the way through.

We ate at SSR right now. The refillable mugs can be purchased at Artists Palette in the Carriage House or at the bar near the Grandstand pool. Both locations have refill stations. High Rocks pool is closed at the moment but there is a refill station there as well.

We just got back from a 5 night stay at SSR on developer points. We had a dedicated 2BR. I have to say that I was not excited that this resort was where we had to stay to use the incentive points. SSR has always been the dvc resort least appealing to me. But-- free is free and Disney is Disney!

That being said, I fell in LOVE with SSR. We had the most enjoyable time there imaginable. Thanks to the wonderful folks on this thread, I requested The Grandstand in light of the main pool being closed. DD7 and DS8 are part fish! We were on the first floor, steps away from the Grandstand pool, a very short walk to the bus and a short walk to Artist's Pallette. The rooms were beautiful and in exceptional repair. Even though we were right by the pool for movies at night, etc.-- we heard no commotion whatsoever. And I truly underestimated the beauty of the groundskeeping.

We ate lunch at AP 4 out of 5 days, and breakfast on our last morning. Compared to Pop Century and Coronado Spring's quick service restaurants, we found AP delightfully laid back and peaceful. I am suprised though that a resort as large as SSR has such a small quick service restaurant. My husband and I really liked the various flatbreads and the kids declared that their chicken nuggets were the best they had eaten in their lives-- which is saying something since they eat them all the time.

We truly hated to leave. In the past, we just hated to leave Disney and end our vacation. But this time we really hated to leave where we stayed. So much so, I'm sure it won't be long until we add-on by buying into SSR.

We just got back from a 5 night stay at SSR on developer points. We had a dedicated 2BR. I have to say that I was not excited that this resort was where we had to stay to use the incentive points. SSR has always been the dvc resort least appealing to me. But-- free is free and Disney is Disney!

That being said, I fell in LOVE with SSR. We had the most enjoyable time there imaginable. Thanks to the wonderful folks on this thread, I requested The Grandstand in light of the main pool being closed. DD7 and DS8 are part fish! We were on the first floor, steps away from the Grandstand pool, a very short walk to the bus and a short walk to Artist's Pallette. The rooms were beautiful and in exceptional repair. Even though we were right by the pool for movies at night, etc.-- we heard no commotion whatsoever. And I truly underestimated the beauty of the groundskeeping.

We ate lunch at AP 4 out of 5 days, and breakfast on our last morning. Compared to Pop Century and Coronado Spring's quick service restaurants, we found AP delightfully laid back and peaceful. I am suprised though that a resort as large as SSR has such a small quick service restaurant. My husband and I really liked the various flatbreads and the kids declared that their chicken nuggets were the best they had eaten in their lives-- which is saying something since they eat them all the time.

We truly hated to leave. In the past, we just hated to leave Disney and end our vacation. But this time we really hated to leave where we stayed. So much so, I'm sure it won't be long until we add-on by buying into SSR.

I am sorry to read that Saratoga was not what you had expected! ;)

Not sure I have anything to say relevant to this thread (except -- Mamacrush -- sounds like you really lucked out on your room assignment and am glad you enjoyed SSR -- hope you would have enjoyed it even without such a primo room location).

I just thought it would be fun for me to have my #1968 post by on this thread, since I am now an SSR owner, even tho I haven't stayed there yet. I am looking forward to posting some pics in June.

The Mustang in my siggie is a 1968 (original color); it was my Mom's and now it's mine! (Of course, now my next post will make this one totally irrelevant). (And of course, I like the pink pony SSR logo).

We ate at SSR right now. The refillable mugs can be purchased at Artists Palette in the Carriage House or at the bar near the Grandstand pool. Both locations have refill stations. High Rocks pool is closed at the moment but there is a refill station there as well.

That is so great! Thank you for your help. Are they the new mugs? I am hoping the pool is finished when we get there but regardless, I am so looking forward to being in your shoes next month! Enjoy your trip!

That is so great! Thank you for your help. Are they the new mugs? I am hoping the pool is finished when we get there but regardless, I am so looking forward to being in your shoes next month! Enjoy your trip!

Saratoga is selling the new "Red" celebrate mugs! We got ours two weeks ago.

Only 10 more days till I'm back at SSR with my two BFF's to celebrate our 29 + 11 Birthday's... I can't wait. But I am a little nervous about this trip. Worried that my BFF's won't love SSR like I do. Silly things that I would never even think about if I was going with my Disney loving family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter