SSR--any advice?

JustAustin

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a rather impromptu Disney trip in December, and it looks as if we'll be staying at Saratoga Springs Resort. Anything I should know before I make the leap? Any good/bad reviews, etc? Thanks.

There is a ton of fantastic info on the DVC Resorts thread. Great photos too.

Generally, SSR is a great resort, and if you get a feel for the maps, areas, and what is has to offer ahead of time (see thread mentioned above :thumbsup2), you will have an excellent time.

I sense that some folks who do not like it often feel it is too spread out and the transportation is not as fgood as some other resorts (not problems we have had in multiple stays there).

We stayed at SSR in April. I was a little concerned about the size and theming at first but, decided that we would be in Disney and it would be great. Turns out, it's probably in my top 3 Disney resorts. We had a studio in the Paddocks section. I couldn't have asked for a better location. The door to our building let out steps from the Paddock Pool (which was wonderful with it's zero entry and slide), the Paddock Grill which we enjoyed every day either for breakfast, refilling our mugs, my afternoon Pina Colada cool off, and lunch during our pool day. They have poolside activities for the kiddos there as well. Also, laundry rooms are right there and the bus stop. I would definitely recommend seeing if that's an area you can request.

It was across the water from the main building and pool but, we were right by the bridge so, it was only a matter of minutes. And we often walked over there to pick up supplies from the shop or a meal from the main food court. I've heard some great things about the Turf Bar & Grill and the Spa as well.
I will say that it's possible that if we were in another location there, I may have not enjoyed it as much. It is definitely a sprawling resort. But, I really loved everything about the resort and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

I took a ton of pics. Let me see if I have anything that would help get you excited. :)

SSR is very big and rather spread out. But is is beautiful and quiet. My only minor complaints were the very limited options at the CS and the main pool doesn't have a deep end. I and my bad back love to be able to tread water at the end of the long day. The jacuzzi hot tub things at the main pool make up for it!

Thanks, y'all! I admit, I am a bit concerned about the size of the resort, since I'm traveling with two older (but still active) family members.

Thanks, y'all! I admit, I am a bit concerned about the size of the resort, since I'm traveling with two older (but still active) family members.

You may want to request a unit near the main pool/shop in that case. As you note, the resort is very large and you could wind up far away. However, there are several bus stops so you wouldn't be very far from one of those wherever your unit is.

Request a villa in Congress Park. It's closest to DTD and an easy walk, plus not too far from the main building. The Paddock is not far either. It's a very nice, peaceful resort. If you are taking bus transportation anywhere, realize there are several bus stops throughout the resort.

We were one of those lucky families that got a PIN code in 2009 that upgraded us from ASMusic to SSR 1 bedroom villa with FD. I'm not sure I will ever be able to stay anywhere else...we are totally spoiled now! And unfortunately, SSR is way out of our price range so I doubt we will ever be able to stay there again.

The resort is rather large...we stayed in the Carousel area and ended up driving to the pool. However, we were close to the bus stop and the kids loved the pool...I think they've upgraded that pool in the past year. I also enjoyed the peacefulness of the resort. I can't say anything about the studios, but the 1 bedrooms are beautiful and the washer/dryer were very nice to have...I stuck a load in every morning and Disney Magic moved it into the dryer every day so the clothes were clean and dry by the time we got back at night.

TrentzMom said:
We were one of those lucky families that got a PIN code in 2009 that upgraded us from ASMusic to SSR 1 bedroom villa with FD. I'm not sure I will ever be able to stay anywhere else...we are totally spoiled now! And unfortunately, SSR is way out of our price range so I doubt we will ever be able to stay there again.

The resort is rather large...we stayed in the Carousel area and ended up driving to the pool. However, we were close to the bus stop and the kids loved the pool...I think they've upgraded that pool in the past year. I also enjoyed the peacefulness of the resort. I can't say anything about the studios, but the 1 bedrooms are beautiful and the washer/dryer were very nice to have...I stuck a load in every morning and Disney Magic moved it into the dryer every day so the clothes were clean and dry by the time we got back at night.

If you really want SSR, look into renting points from a dvc member! Check out the Dvc rent/trade board for availability and rates but its usually around $10/ pt!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

We stayed at SSR last May and loved it! We had a 2 bedroom villa in Congress park which is close to the main pool and food. The bus stop was very close by and we were close to DTD. We loved the quietness about the resort. You really felt like you were on vacation there. At least to us.

It makes me feel good to hear such positive feedback. At first I was worried that we wouldn't have as great a time staying at SSR as we did at AKL, which we loved. But after doing some more research and seeing more pictures, I'm starting to feel excited! Just four more months!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter