Squirrels, Ducks and Coconut Butts!!! A Wish Trip Report *LATEST UPDATE 05/2011**

Our Advance Dining Reservation was for 12:55 and it was only about 12:30 but we didn't think we had time to do much else so we walked up to the castle enjoying the ambiance along the way.
IMG_0398.jpg

I liked this fountain.
IMG_0399.jpg

The tile mosaics in the passageway.
IMG_0259.jpg

Tessa spying on someone. We asked what she saw and she said someone was brushing hair. This must have been the back of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.
IMG_0265.jpg

We approached this desk and informed the woman that we are here for a lunch reservation. She checked our name and said it's too early, come back in 15 minutes. I asked her if there was a restroom nearby that we could use and she vaguely waved her arm in the direction of the carousel across the courtyard. I looked in the direction she was waving and saw lots of people, and no buildings close by. I really didn't want to walk across the park just to change the kids clothes. I decided to just do a sneaky ninja quick change in the passageway around the corner. It was kind of a dead end and there were very few people milling around. Even though we didn't have the "official" princess dresses I brought an alternative for each girl, something a little more princessy. Tessa had been given so many Big Give dresses and one of them was a sleeping Beauty sundress. I showed it to her and asked if she wanted to be Aurora or stay Minnie inside the castle and she said Minnie. Fine, no change for her. I got Phoebe into a new outfit (tiara t-shirt I bought at Disney.com before the Big Give started) and we were all set. We went back up to the desk and a mom and her kids were asking the man where the bathroom is and he opens up the castle doors for them. HUH??? Okay, a little annoying but we got by.
IMG_0269.jpg

I told the lady our name again and proceed to explain that this is Phoebe's WISH trip and she is also visually impaired and would it be possible to sit by the windows so she can better see where we are? She tells me that there are a couple of stairs, would we be able to get her down to the lower level? I told her a couple of stairs is no problem and she says okay. They opened the doors for us and said to sit on the bench inside for a few minutes. Sure enough, there is a restroom sign right at the end of the bench. Not only a restroom, but a companion restroom, in an empty area. Okay, I guess I'm still annoyed. Move on Melissa!
IMG_0271.jpg

(I think Phoebe thought this guy was real?)

We were the only ones in the room for a while but a few more families trickled in. After about ten minutes Cinderella made a grand entrance to her reception area where we were patiently waiting. She was a nice Cinderella and Phoebe enjoyed the interaction. Tessa was a little bit shy, staying on my other side, but not afraid. Phoebe started getting excited and was trying to stand up so it was comical trying to get the royal photograph with her.
IMG_0281a.jpg

(For anyone who is eating at one of the princess meals and getting a photo package, make sure you enter in the photopass code from your photo in to your account before you order your cd. I forgot so, it's not on my cd. I have plenty of photos but it would have been nice to have it already there with the others.)

SCAN0001.jpg

At this point I don't remember exactly what happened. It was chaotic trying to get Phoebe and Tessa both to enjoy the moment with Cindy as well as get a decent photo of everyone. Tim says that someone told him to go upstairs now. I went up the royal staircase with Tessa.
IMG_0288.jpg

Tim took Phoebe on the royal elevator.
IMG_0290.jpg

Once we were upstairs nobody knew who we were, we didn't have a ticket or something that we were supposed to have, they asked us to wait on the side for a minute, which was tough because Tessa was interested in this new place and wanted to climb on the railing and walk up and down the stairs. They seemed not only confused by us but also a little annoyed. We were the anomaly that disrupted the pattern of how things were supposed to go. Tim swears he was told to come up. I'm just feeling weird. I tried to enjoy the opportunity to take a few pics of the whole room while we stood there.
IMG_0291.jpg

I realized later that I Ann and her family were there finishing their meal. I DID catch you and Maggie on camera, just from a little far away.
IMG_0292b.jpg

(So why is Maggie wearing diva sunglasses inside the castle? lol)

Somebody comes up to us and says follow me. She leads us around the room to a table on the far side, up on a higher level than the main floor. This is NOT a window seat. I am feeling so sheepish from having invaded the castle that I decided not to say anything. We get settled, which is always a noisy production because Tessa wants to sit where we need to put Phoebe, we need to move a chair to make room for Phoebe's wheelchair, we have to move decorations, silverware, glasses, etc out of Phoebe's way or she will pull them all over onto the floor. The waiter stops by to get drink orders and we are still getting settled. Okay. Now we're settled and it's just eating away at me. This is not what I had asked for, there were several empty tables next to the windows, and why should I feel bad for doing what we were told? The lady at the desk had said we could have a window seat. Did she mess up the ticket that we mysteriously never got? The same lady that didn't want us to use their restroom ten minutes before we paid them hundreds of dollars for lunch??? I debated and mumbled to Tim, who offered to say something, NO, I said. Then I debated some more. Finally, I realized that this would have annoyed me forever, that I didn't try to fix it, so I got up and went to two manager looking people (they weren't in costume). I explained with my biggest smile the situation and how the lady downstairs had said okay. They point out the stairs and I said they weren't a problem. They paused but they did say okay, and to give them a minute. I sat back down and felt both relieved and embarrassed as we started to pack up our stuff, gather our drinks, etc. They lead us to a new table on the lower level. We had to lift Phoebe's chair down the stairs, and then I saw Tessa's bare feet. I tried to be quiet as I reprimanded her and told her to go get them. The manager lady walked her back. I knew every eye in the place was on us, but I didn't care. There was nothing I could do now. It is at this moment that I see Ann and her family as we pass them to get to our new table. "Good for you" she said. I don't know how much she saw before that, but she could see the exasperated look on my face. I vented on her for about 30 seconds. "Something is going to go according to plan!" I said. :sad2: Her family looked very relaxed at that moment and seemed to be enjoying themselves. (Unlike ours) I couldn't resist snapping a few of Elke smiling as she played a magic wand game with Daddy!
IMG_0298.jpg

Don't feel bad. Non magical moments do happen but I am glad you said something. I'm sure they did not mind.

Like shardai said I'm sure they weren't bothered by you at all after all they have tons of guest each day many of which don't speak any english. I had a table behind us trying to figure out what the menu said and finally gave up and just pointed at something. I'm sure you were not bother and it doesn't matter they were bothered by you they didin't do what you asked. So it falls on them for not following through.

Oh wow! I am angry on your behalf at the unhelpful CM outside the restaurant, but I am so glad that your family was able to get a window seat. I have made a corner clothing switcheroo on more than one occasion with my kiddos. :lmao: The pic with Tessa spying is too cute.

I've been out of town and finally got caught up on your report tonight. I'm am really enjoying it. My boys are 18 and 20 so it's really nice reading a Disney trip from a family that is the exact opposite than ours (2 young girls vs. 2 old boys). I'll never get to eat in the castle because no one in my family wants to.

Can't wait for more!

Lovin' the TR thus far (how do you find time to do this????). And, selfishly, LOVE the pic of Jake and Elke in the castle. I think I'm going to have to ask you to email that one to me. Jake just looked at it and agreed it's much better than anything we got (we're not really a picture taking family -- another one of my shortcomings). As for Maggie and her "diva" sunglasses -- I have long since ceased asking/wondering why Maggie does anything. She is a Character -- with a capital "C" -- and very much her own person. It makes life rough sometimes as a child, but I think she will grow into an extraordinary adult (and has already promised to find a cure for cancer).

And I don't think you have anything to be embarrassed about re asking to move tables. I actually saw you guys come in right away, and was tempted to come up and say hi immediately when I saw you all "waiting" and them not seating you. But my better judgment held back, because something seemed not quite right (like I agree that they didn't seem to know what to do with you), and the last thing you needed was to partake in light banter in the middle of the walkway! I stand by my comment that you were right to ask to be moved, and was so happy to see them finally accomodate you!

LOVE your pics in general. Can you come out east and take pics of my family, so we have some documentation of who we are????

Oh I can't wait to read about your Cindy's Castle meal! Mine was great! I hope the princesses treated you all great! Tim is such a good Daddy! He is always taking care of his Phoebe.
He is an amazing daddy! I can't wait to hear about your anniversary dinner!

Don't feel bad. Non magical moments do happen but I am glad you said something. I'm sure they did not mind.

It's hard to remember that it's not going to be perfect every moment. I had to remind myself to pay more attention to the magic when it happened.

Like shardai said I'm sure they weren't bothered by you at all after all they have tons of guest each day many of which don't speak any english. I had a table behind us trying to figure out what the menu said and finally gave up and just pointed at something. I'm sure you were not bother and it doesn't matter they were bothered by you they didin't do what you asked. So it falls on them for not following through.

I wish I could even figure out what happened. It was so ambiguous just standing around.

Oh wow! I am angry on your behalf at the unhelpful CM outside the restaurant, but I am so glad that your family was able to get a window seat. I have made a corner clothing switcheroo on more than one occasion with my kiddos. :lmao: The pic with Tessa spying is too cute.

The lady outside was def. annoying. I just don't get the whole bathroom thing.

You did the right thing! Don't give it a second thought. :thumbsup2

After all was said and done, I was glad that I did get up.

I've been out of town and finally got caught up on your report tonight. I'm am really enjoying it. My boys are 18 and 20 so it's really nice reading a Disney trip from a family that is the exact opposite than ours (2 young girls vs. 2 old boys). I'll never get to eat in the castle because no one in my family wants to.

Can't wait for more!

You'll just have to find some girls to take a trip with. :thumbsup2 Or wait until your boys do something wrong and then use that as punishment. :rotfl2:

Lovin' the TR thus far (how do you find time to do this????). And, selfishly, LOVE the pic of Jake and Elke in the castle. I think I'm going to have to ask you to email that one to me. Jake just looked at it and agreed it's much better than anything we got (we're not really a picture taking family -- another one of my shortcomings). As for Maggie and her "diva" sunglasses -- I have long since ceased asking/wondering why Maggie does anything. She is a Character -- with a capital "C" -- and very much her own person. It makes life rough sometimes as a child, but I think she will grow into an extraordinary adult (and has already promised to find a cure for cancer).

If it makes you feel any better, I kind of see it as my job, taking pictures. It's the main reason I pursued photography in real life, because I got good grades in it in school and I was going to be taking the pictures anyway. I started trying to email several to you and I think the files were too big. I'll have to resize them and try again. It was a very cute moment and I'm glad I caught it. :goodvibes As for the trip report, if you've noticed I have been getting this day out in very small doses. Eventually when the whole day is done, I'll paste it all into one blog post so that our family can share it with us and later I'll have it printed into a book.

And I don't think you have anything to be embarrassed about re asking to move tables. I actually saw you guys come in right away, and was tempted to come up and say hi immediately when I saw you all "waiting" and them not seating you. But my better judgment held back, because something seemed not quite right (like I agree that they didn't seem to know what to do with you), and the last thing you needed was to partake in light banter in the middle of the walkway! I stand by my comment that you were right to ask to be moved, and was so happy to see them finally accomodate you!

LOVE your pics in general. Can you come out east and take pics of my family, so we have some documentation of who we are????

I would LOVE to!!! I'll email you my flight info. ;) No seriously, someday, when life is calm :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:, I do want to see NYC and that area. I've never been and I feel like I'm missing out on something pretty big. Tim has no interest however, so we'll see.

We were moved over to the window table and the staff was really very accommodating about it. They even brought over more wishing stars and magic wands and when I told them we already had a set from the other table they said to keep them all. This is the view from our table.
IMG_0395.jpg

I don't know if anyone can go out on the balcony but it was pretty to see every detail was castle like outside the window.
IMG_0394.jpg

It didn't take long before the princesses started arriving. First Snow White.
IMG_0301.jpg

I prompted Tessa on things she should talk about with each princess but she wasn't shy at all and definitely carried on conversations with all of them.
IMG_0305.jpg

Sleeping Beauty got right down to Phoebe's level and let her touch her. She had to guard her wig and costume though. (Those blue contacts totally freaked me out!!!)
IMG_0314.jpg

I told Princess Aurora that Phoebe loves to sleep, but she can wake up on her own. I also shared with her that she was Tessa's first favorite princess story.
IMG_0319.jpg

I think Ariel's coloring really caught Phoebe's eyes. She was also a very chatty princess, not too worried about formal etiquette.
IMG_0327.jpg

Tessa talked with her about playing at the beach and I told her that Phoebe loves to swim because she doesn't have to work as hard to control those legs. Ariel came right back with banter about how difficult it is to have a human body and legs were hard for her to learn too. She was fun to chat with. (I think Tessa is saying "Belle" in this shot as she sees the next princess enter)
IMG_0330a.jpg

Phoebe didn't want to let her go.
IMG_0333a.jpg

So they play patty cake for a minute.
IMG_0336a.jpg

Belle was next and Tessa started chatting her ear off. I told Belle that Tessa was a really great story teller. She replied that she would love to read some of her stories when she learns how to write them down.
IMG_0342a.jpg

Tessa really liked this one.
IMG_0348a.jpg

Another game of patty cake for Phoebe.
IMG_0354.jpg

Our food was being served as the princesses circulated the room. Yes, I took pics again.
First they brought out an appetizer, I believe it was standard, not something we specifically ordered. It had grapes, cheese, artichoke hearts, bruschetta, salami, and field greens. It was an assortment I probably wouldn't have ordered but it was all good.

Phoebe's lunch - Grilled chicken, pasta marinara, veggies, fruit and apple juice.
IMG_0363.jpg

Tessa's lunch - Chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, veggies, fruit, apple juice.
IMG_0364.jpg

Tim's lunch - Major Domo's Favorite Pie - Shredded beef simmered in rich cabernet sauce served with mashed potatoes and suateed vegetables, crowning a light pastry.
IMG_0365.jpg

My lunch - Pork Tenderloin - with vegetable couscous and cabernet sauce.
IMG_0366.jpg

We liked everything we ordered. The kids meals were more than they could finish so we asked for a to-go cup and saved the fruit pieces for later.

They led the kids in a little wishing ceremony, completely lost on Phoebe...
IMG_0368.jpg

but Tessa seemed enthralled.
IMG_0375.jpg

(you can see the upper level tables behind Tessa in this pic. Not bad seats but I'm so happy I got the nerve to ask them to move us!)

Ariel stopped by one more time to chat with Tessa.
IMG_0380.jpg

We traded photographer duties with the family next to us. Not the best pic but at least I can prove I was there.
IMG_0386a.jpg

Then it was time for dessert.
Mine - Castle-made rice pudding - topped with pistachio whipped cream and garnished with slivered almonds, pecans and mixed berries.
IMG_0388.jpg

Tim's - Chocolate cream cheese buckle - a single layer of chocolate cake stuffed with cream cheese topped with creme chantilly and finished with creme anglaise sauce.
IMG_0390.jpg

The girls' - raspberry sorbet with berries and chocolate crown.
IMG_0389.jpg

My fave of the three was the sorbet. Tessa only ate her crown and Phoebe's not big on cold stuff so she shared daddy's. The face she made when trying the sorbet.
IMG_0391.jpg

Our waitress brought us our photos, to-go cup, souvenir menu, and a coupon for a free ice cream. (Ann - did they bring you guys one too? It seemed odd to me since we had dessert included in the meal. I wondered if it was a special wish kid thing, a sorry we made you feel stupid while standing around thing, or just a nice touch they gave to everyone...) We gathered our things and headed back out into the kingdom with a pit stop in the family restroom downstairs before we left. (It was a nice big bathroom and all four of us fit at the same time, even with the wheelchair!) We had realized during lunch that we forgot Phoebe's sippy cup in the truck. Like all kids with sensory issues, Phoebe is picky about certain things, what type of lid on her sippy cup is one of them. I hoped that we would be able to find one in the park that was close enough that she would use it. We started asking around and everyone directed us to Main St Emporium. It looks like we are headed back towards the entrance in search of a sippy cup. I had an idea when I looked at the map and saw where the first aid station and Wish Lounge were. We would head over there and ask them, hoping they would understand that this kid is not just any other kid who needs a cup. We need a specific kind of cup and maybe they would be more willing to help us find what we need.

Glad your meal went well after the bumpy start! It looks like the girls enjoyed the princesses and the pictures are beautiful! I have heard a lot of complaints about the meal so I am really glad to hear you all liked your food! I love the chocolate crown on the sorbet! So cute!

I am sorry about all of the hassle at the beginning of your meal :rolleyes: Magic at Disney is only as good as the CMs providing it.

Great view!

Glad to hear you had great character interactions!

I am so happy the lunch went well despite the hassle at the beginning!

I look forward to your next update!

Just wanted to say hi! Your girls are so cute! Love the pictures of them with Ariel, they both look so happy with her.

Good luck with the testing, hopefully they'll have some answers this time.

Great updates! Love all the pictures of Tessa and Phoebe with the different princesses. So glad the CMs allowed you to move to a table by the windows. Can't wait to read if you were able to find a sippy cup for Phoebe!

Wonderful character interaction. I took my kids to the Norway dinner last year and Ariel was the best by far. My girl adores her (ok all of the princesses). My son is SOOO not into princesses, but Ariel was the only one to really relate with and include him. They talked about playing in the ocean. She spent so much time with both of them and I was so impressed that I spoke with guest services.

Great MK update. I'm so sorry you all had a rough start to the princess dinner but it seems to have worked out in the end. The food looks so good. Thank you for taking pics so we can see!

Dawn - Glad your meal went well after the bumpy start! It looks like the girls enjoyed the princesses and the pictures are beautiful! I have heard a lot of complaints about the meal so I am really glad to hear you all liked your food! I love the chocolate crown on the sorbet! So cute!

Tessa loved the crown. I let her have Phoebe's later. We really did like it. I was nervous at first because there were so few choices, but we thought it was good.

Caitlin - Magic at Disney is only as good as the CMs providing it.

I really wanted to make sure that I ended the trip knowing I had done everything I could to make it that once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Sleepy01020 - Just wanted to say hi! Your girls are so cute! Love the pictures of them with Ariel, they both look so happy with her.

Ariel was definitely the most chatty. All of them were nice and took their time with the girls.

p00h4me - Can't wait to read if you were able to find a sippy cup for Phoebe!

Funny that this is the suspenseful part of the post. LOL!

Amiee - Wonderful character interaction. I took my kids to the Norway dinner last year and Ariel was the best by far. My girl adores her (ok all of the princesses). My son is SOOO not into princesses, but Ariel was the only one to really relate with and include him. They talked about playing in the ocean. She spent so much time with both of them and I was so impressed that I spoke with guest services.

I love when I hear that they made the boys enjoy their time. I have SO many thank you notes to write.

Tonya - Great MK update. I'm so sorry you all had a rough start to the princess dinner but it seems to have worked out in the end. The food looks so good. Thank you for taking pics so we can see!

I really didn't know what to expect as I had read mixed reviews of the food also. Maybe it was not having expectations that made it so good?

We found our way to the first aid station and asked the attendant if we could go in. She unlocked the door and showed us around. She had us sign in on a clip board and it was 3:00. There was a mini fridge with bottled waters, several love seat/settees, and an armoire with books, tv and movie drawer. She opened the drawer and we let Tessa choose from among the many Disney movies and she chose Monsters Inc. We asked her about the sippy cup and she told us where to ask. Tim left me and the girls and set out to find a cup. He texted me that the next person told him the whole park was sold out (!?!?) so he was going to go to the parking lot and get hers out of the truck. Phoebe was tired but I wasn't sure if she would fall asleep in this room. At least I had plenty of time to try. I threw some of the big cushions on the floor. Phoebe ate some of the fruit we had left from lunch and relaxed on the cushions while Tessa watched the movie. It hadn't been long when Tim reappeared with a cup. Thankfully the CM who told him they were sold out was wrong. It wasn't similar to her favorite kind but I hoped it would work. She took a couple of sips from it and I decided it would be good enough. I proposed that Tim and Tessa go out and hit some rides while I tried to get Phoebe to take a nap. It wasn't long after they left that Phoebe was out and I had nothing but my camera to keep myself entertained.
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

I loved this little checkerboard table because it really looked antique. The checkerboard pattern had etchings of castles on the squares. Very European.
IMG_0411.jpg

I moved Phoebe further onto the cushions to be more comfortable and she barely made a move.
IMG_0408.jpg

I had to go to the bathroom but Phoebe was asleep and Tim was gone. I poked my head out and asked the first aid attendant if there was any way they could sit with her for a minute. No problem. They sent me down the hall to the first aid restroom. This was certainly not the typical corner of Disneyworld. I don't think anywhere else would an employee have been willing, nor would I have even wanted to ask!

At one point I heard what I thought was thunder (Tim later said it was fireworks) and I could tell it was raining very hard outside. The predicted rain had finally started to pour down. I was thinking that this was not the day I had hoped for so far. We did enjoy the Castle lunch, but other than that we hadn't DONE anything. Not a single ride. It was obvious Phoebe needed some sleep though, so I tried not to worry about anything.

I laid down next to her and almost fell asleep myself until another family came in. Rachel was the name of the wish child and she seemed fairly medically involved. Her brother Alexander ran around the room exploring it and playing. The parents were from NY and we shared about wheelchairs, AFOs, all those other details that "typical" parents haven't been exposed to. They were a nice family and they mainly came in to change Rachel's clothes because they had all gotten soaked in the rain. Phoebe didn't budge an inch during this whole exchange, even when Alexander touched her a couple of times, maybe hoping for a friend to play with? The door was opened again and this time a dad and son came in. Joshua was this wish child's name, from MI, and he and dad were looking for a dry spot to hang out and wait for mom and sister to finish their castle dinner. Shortly after they joined the room, Tim and Tessa returned. It was a real party now.
IMG_0412.jpg

I debated making Phoebe wake up but if she could sleep through all of this, she must have been truly exhausted.
IMG_0409.jpg

The first family took off, but Joshua's mom and sister Allison joined them. Allison was waving her new magic wand around and Tessa ran to to our bag to get hers out. Joshua was feeling a little left out so I gave him one of our extras and he seemed really excited to be able to join the girls' game. After a few minutes that family left also and I decided we needed to wake Phoebe. We got her changed, might as well while we're alone in this clean, comfy room, grabbed some waters and headed out. It was only when we were signing out that I realized how long we had been in the Wish lounge. We signed in at 3 and it was now 5:45pm!!! Phoebe had slept for over two hours.

Daddy took some pics while he and Tessa were off playing and Phoebe was asleep in the Wish Lounge. They managed to hit 4 rides in 2 hours.
Dumbo first. You can see the skies about to burst open.
DSCN0366.jpg

And then they did!
DSCN0369.jpg

The carousel kept them dry.
DSCN0372.jpg

Snow White. Tessa covers her ears when she thinks there might be scary or loud noises.
DSCN0379.jpg

Still covering.
DSCN0382.jpg

Peter Pan. Not as scary I guess.
DSCN0398.jpg

Ohhh so cute! Wow Phoebe was really tired! She slept so long I can't believe it1 I love her she is too cute! Tessa looks like she never stops having fun! Haha your MK day sounded almost like our all we did was a few rides and then we gave up the rain was too much for us!

Well I think we had the same CM out front of CRT.:confused3 We were the first ones there and she woulden't check us in because we were to early but as we were waiting she checked in several people who came up after us for around the same ADR time. John tried to go up to the desk to check in in his wheelchair (I was dealing with Jonnie) and she completley ignored him. Ugh! We had the opposite table problem and we too stood around at the top of the stairs as the tried to figure out what to do with us. They had us down for a window seat but we coulden't have gotten John in the wheelchair down the stairs and he was in to much pain to even transfer seats let alone walk to a table. We ended up in the back corner table in the area they first put you in. For us it was perfect. The crowds and noise were really getting to Jonnie with his sensory issues and Johns anxiety was high so quieter, dark corner table was best for us. I can definatley relate to getting settled at a table. We had to move chairs to pull John up to the table this trip but even normally we have to stowhis canes or walker/rollator and move everything out of Jonnies way (he will play with anything, his favorite is spreading sugar or salt on the table and playing with it. ) Good for you on asking for the table the table that was best for you! I can certainly see why you wanted a window seat. Great pics of the wish lounge. I love the first one of Phoebe sleeping. I came to realize really quickley that the best way for us to enjoy the parks was doing whatever made everyone happy and not worrying about getting the most stuff done. I'm really enjoying your report. Can't wait to read more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter