Squirrels, Ducks and Coconut Butts!!! A Wish Trip Report *LATEST UPDATE 05/2011**

I'm still here! Thanks for such a great description of the villa. And those snacks...they sound like they would last us a day or two...maybe. I guess we'll check it out first, and then make the trip to Walmart.

Anyway...I still want MORE before I leave Monday a.m.!

Well you know I know all about forgetting things,:lmao: but it's great that you had the car and a walmart close for those mini emergengencys. I dien't pack enough unerwear for Jenna eigther. I also remember having similar incidents with diapers with Jonnie and it was always hard to find someone with a big enough one (like several other ASD kids I have known it took forever to potty train him). The villa looks great and the playground is amazing. I don't think I've ever seen that pic before.

AWESOME job describing the villas and the pictures are wonderful. :thumbsup2 I wondered as I read if you would have preferred a different villa than the fairy tale ones, once you saw them? You mentioned just leaving things to chance. As a control freak myself, :rotfl: I wanted to know if you had it to do over, having now been at the village, if there was a location you thought would have been more advantageous…

I felt for you :hug: out so late purchasing things you left behind…been there, done that. You are doing an phenomenal job with the details that inquiring minds want to know! Thank you! :flower3:

Blessings,
Judy

Hey Mellisa! I’m completely hooked on to your account and pics. You make a great chronicler. Eagerly waiting for the next episode!

Hey Mellisa! I’m completely hooked on to your account and pics. You make a great chronicler. Eagerly waiting for the next episode!

Wow... you got my head spinning!

Glad you guys made it to MCO in one piece. (I knew you would! :laughing:)

Hurray for the upgrade to a truck!!

IDK.... I know that you need to get important info when you arrive but after traveling for 10 hours I'm sure you just wanted to get to your villa and relax. Maybe the check-in process needs to be streamlined in these cases? :confused3

How cute for the girls to get a little visit from some characters while you were waiting for your info. :lovestruc

Great pics of the villa!!! :thumbsup2

I have always read about the fridges being stocked to the gills too.... :confused3

Sorry you had to go to Wallyword so late.. I can picture you out of the car hanging on to steel bars screaming 'SOMEONE... LET ME INNNNNNN!!!' :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I cannot believe you had the energy to go to Walmart after all that! After I saw you, I went back to the villa and we all just collapsed in bed.

Yeah, our fridge just had a "token" smattering of things in it: a bottle of water for each person, some random sodas, and a box of entenmann's cookies. We also had a box of PB and cheese (? Jake was the only one who would eat them) crackers. But from what I had read, we didn't expect there to be more. We ended up going to Walmart ( the next day!) and buying more water, some gatorade, and some Mike's hard lemonade (which, by the way, we only drank 4 bottles of for the entire week. We were just too bone tired each evening to stay up and have a drink. The margarita idea sounded great, but we just didn't have the energy).

It's funny, your villa looked like it would be so much more convenient to the main area. I guess appearances can be deceiving. We didn't mind the walk to and fro -- as you mentioned, there were a couple of paths we could take to get everywhere. It took us less than 5 minutes to get to breakfast, etc.

Another great couple of updates, Melissa!

What a nice welcome to the villas! I don't think I realized that the GKTW complex was that elaborate!

I had to laugh about the Spanish Moss. As you probably noticed on your drive up the coast, it is very common. It is synonymous with home to me -- I just love it! :goodvibes

Forgetting to pack underwear and jammies is so something I would do!

I just love your trip report!! You are doing an awesome job!!! I'm positive that we went to Walmart on our first day too..actually we went several times during our stay at GKTW!

Our fridge wasn't stocked to death either. It had a few bottles of water some random sodas and some cool snacks! We were greatful because we were starving when we arrived and those snacks were gone that very same day!! :rotfl:

I think our family would definitely LOVE to stay in the area you and your family stayed in. I am thinking about calling and requesting the same. Did you call the week before? I don't want to wait until the last minute, but I don't want to call too far in advance either!

And I would definitely be the one to forget to pack the "importants" lol!! I'm going to try really hard not to...but we'll see!!!

Great TR!!! Love the pics and everything! I just read all of it, and all I have to say is: Man! You didn't get the orange house?!?!?! :lmao:

Villa looked really nice. To bad it was not a little closer to the playground. I forgot to pack Avery's undies when we went to Kauai last year. Also made the trip to Wally World-which I dislike immensly. What a long first day.

Wow, what a busy day. I'm tired after reading that!

Sorry about the late night Walmart trip. I can only imagine how tired you were!

My feet were seriously dragging!

Now, I'm wondering what kinds of stuff I'll end up forgetting. One thing I can say I WON'T forget is diapers!!!

And YES, I've done the "let's make it last diaper trick" too! And asked other parents, AND given my kids wedgies. All part of the gig.

I had planned on doing the same thing: Comparing the Plan to the Reality. THANKS! for doing that!!!!

I hear ya on the diapers. It's nice to only have ONE kid to worry about. The downside is we have to do potty trips on T's schedule not ours.

Yeah, it took a couple of days before I gave up trying to control things. You'll see.

Awesome update!

So great, in fact, that I linked your description of your villa on the Wish Trippers thread for future wish trippers!

Cool! I figure if someone wants a surprise, they wouldn't be reading Trip Reports. :lmao: It's the kind of details that you would want to know if you were booking your accommodations on your own, but no one really tells you much before arriving at GKTW.

Hey Melissa!!

I'm all caught up........phew!! I told myself I was going to try and catch up on one ptr and one tr a day but when I saw yours I upped the tr count to two!!!!!

Great start! You are a great storyteller. And I'm loving all the pics!

Your villa (such that it was ) was actually kitty-corner to ours. I'll try and stop laughing :lmao:

So page 6 already and just finished up with day one????? What do you think? Only another 36 to go (78 if we include week two )!!!!!

Looking forward to more

I know, I know. I need to gain a little more momentum. I think I did pretty good getting 3 posts up this week, but it's only through DAY ONE!!! :rotfl2:

Well thankfully you guys didn't lose your suitcase! I'm glad it was little things that could easily be replaced! You could have forgotten super important things like meds. Haha but I think over it sounds like it was an okay first landing.

Oh by the way I was mistaken! We don't land in Orlando until freaking 6.30Pm! Oh well. If we are tired well just crash if not we'll go to DTD. But I have time at the end of the trip to make a special trip there.

Oh geez! Well, it's still a little earlier, plus your "check-in" should go a little faster than ours. It stinks being so far!

Your villa looks super nice! I'm so sorry for the late night trip to Wally World. It never fails, we always forget something. Hope the next day goes better for everyone.

I figured it would be a toothbrush or something. I knew the next morning would be too busy to go shopping.

I'm still here! Thanks for such a great description of the villa. And those snacks...they sound like they would last us a day or two...maybe. I guess we'll check it out first, and then make the trip to Walmart.

Anyway...I still want MORE before I leave Monday a.m.!

I'll try and get one more day done this weekend!

Well you know I know all about forgetting things,:lmao: but it's great that you had the car and a walmart close for those mini emergengencys. I dien't pack enough unerwear for Jenna eigther. I also remember having similar incidents with diapers with Jonnie and it was always hard to find someone with a big enough one (like several other ASD kids I have known it took forever to potty train him). The villa looks great and the playground is amazing. I don't think I've ever seen that pic before.

Oh yeah. If it had been my camera I don't know what I would do. I might have bought another on Amazon and then sent back the first one after I got home. :lmao:

AWESOME job describing the villas and the pictures are wonderful. :thumbsup2 I wondered as I read if you would have preferred a different villa than the fairy tale ones, once you saw them? You mentioned just leaving things to chance. As a control freak myself, :rotfl: I wanted to know if you had it to do over, having now been at the village, if there was a location you thought would have been more advantageous…

I felt for you :hug: out so late purchasing things you left behind…been there, done that. You are doing an phenomenal job with the details that inquiring minds want to know! Thank you!

Blessings,
Judy

As far as looks go, I love the older villas because they are more subtle architecture. Many are craftsman style cottages. If they had given us a tour upon arrival and then asked which one do you want? I would have either chosen an older one that was closer to the main bldgs and pool, or the newer ones that were directly across from the playground. I probably would have gotten one or the other if I hadn't bothered to request anything at all.
:confused3 As others have mentioned, it's not a long walk from anywhere in the village, plus they offer a shuttle of some sort, but we were always running late for things like mealtime or character greetings and taking a 10 min walk wasn't going to work.

You must have been exhausted when you got back to the villa! But how excited to finally be there. :goodvibes

I crashed hard that night!

Thanks!!! I'm looking forward to writing them!

Wow... you got my head spinning!

Glad you guys made it to MCO in one piece. (I knew you would! :laughing:)

Hurray for the upgrade to a truck!!

IDK.... I know that you need to get important info when you arrive but after traveling for 10 hours I'm sure you just wanted to get to your villa and relax. Maybe the check-in process needs to be streamlined in these cases? :confused3

How cute for the girls to get a little visit from some characters while you were waiting for your info. :lovestruc

Great pics of the villa!!! :thumbsup2

I have always read about the fridges being stocked to the gills too.... :confused3

Sorry you had to go to Wallyword so late.. I can picture you out of the car hanging on to steel bars screaming 'SOMEONE... LET ME INNNNNNN!!!' :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

There were some rather interesting characters hanging out at that Wal Mart at midnight. I think someone else might have beat the door down for me. :rotfl:

I cannot believe you had the energy to go to Walmart after all that! After I saw you, I went back to the villa and we all just collapsed in bed.

Yeah, our fridge just had a "token" smattering of things in it: a bottle of water for each person, some random sodas, and a box of entenmann's cookies. We also had a box of PB and cheese (? Jake was the only one who would eat them) crackers. But from what I had read, we didn't expect there to be more. We ended up going to Walmart ( the next day!) and buying more water, some gatorade, and some Mike's hard lemonade (which, by the way, we only drank 4 bottles of for the entire week. We were just too bone tired each evening to stay up and have a drink. The margarita idea sounded great, but we just didn't have the energy).

It's funny, your villa looked like it would be so much more convenient to the main area. I guess appearances can be deceiving. We didn't mind the walk to and fro -- as you mentioned, there were a couple of paths we could take to get everywhere. It took us less than 5 minutes to get to breakfast, etc.

It was kind of in a weird corner where it wouldn't have been worth it to walk to the "shortcut" but following the street had several turns in it so it was not a direct path to the castle, etc.

Another great couple of updates, Melissa!

What a nice welcome to the villas! I don't think I realized that the GKTW complex was that elaborate!

I had to laugh about the Spanish Moss. As you probably noticed on your drive up the coast, it is very common. It is synonymous with home to me -- I just love it! :goodvibes

Forgetting to pack underwear and jammies is so something I would do!

I had seen Sp. Moss in the movies, of course, and think it looks really cool. We just couldn't figure out what it IS. I mean, it's not MOSS. It doesn't appear to be a parasite because the trees are doing fine. I guess someday I'll take the time to google it. :confused:

okay, i'm late but i'm here now.

Hi Jordan! No worries. I've been totally slacking on my reading since we've been back, and I've neglected your TR. Probably about 1000 pages, but only a day or two that I've missed. ;)

I just love your trip report!! You are doing an awesome job!!! I'm positive that we went to Walmart on our first day too..actually we went several times during our stay at GKTW!

Our fridge wasn't stocked to death either. It had a few bottles of water some random sodas and some cool snacks! We were greatful because we were starving when we arrived and those snacks were gone that very same day!! :rotfl:

I think our family would definitely LOVE to stay in the area you and your family stayed in. I am thinking about calling and requesting the same. Did you call the week before? I don't want to wait until the last minute, but I don't want to call too far in advance either!

And I would definitely be the one to forget to pack the "importants" lol!! I'm going to try really hard not to...but we'll see!!!

I think I called about a week before. If you get in early enough you might have your choice when you get there. We got in so late, I knew if we wanted to have any say in it I needed to call ahead. You will get a map in the mail before hand. Look it over and if you do call I would have a couple of numbers in mind and ask them if you could stay in or near those numbers. Or you could leave it to fate and get lucky like Ann and Kelly did. :thumbsup2

I had seen Sp. Moss in the movies, of course, and think it looks really cool. We just couldn't figure out what it IS. I mean, it's not MOSS. It doesn't appear to be a parasite because the trees are doing fine. I guess someday I'll take the time to google it. :confused:

From what I can tell, it's just a plant (I got to thinking from your post that I really don't know what it IS, either), but I did find this interesting folktale about it on the Internet. :laughing:

"As the story goes; there was once a traveler who came with his Spanish fiancée in the 1700s to start a plantation near the city of Charleston SC. She was a beautiful bride-to-be with long flowing raven hair. As the couple was walking over the plantation site near the forest, and making plans for their future, they were suddenly attacked by a band of Cherokee who were not happy to share the land of their forefathers with strangers. As a final warning to stay away from the Cherokee nation, they cut off the long dark hair of the bride-to-be and threw it up in an old live oak tree. As the people came back day after day and week after week, they began to notice the hair had shriveled and turned grey and had begun spreading from tree to tree. Over the years the moss spread from South Carolina to Georgia and Florida. To this day, if one stands under a live oak tree, one will see the moss jump from tree to tree and defend itself with a large army of beetles."

Sorry it took me so long to get over here!

I think your Johnny Dep wish would be fun ;)

Phoebe looks so excited to be in the limo! She's so cute!

Aw and Tessa on the airplane is also adorable!

I also love looking out the window towards landing. I think all of the houses and tiny cars look so cool :lmao: Plus I love all the mini pools when we are landing in Florida :laughing:

GKTW looks like so much fun! That little bear that Phoebe met looks very cute!

Sorry your first day was so long!

Can't wait to hear about Sea World!

Unfortunately, Spanish Moss, while very pretty and romantic, IS a parasite. Over time it will kill the trees.

In fact, some cities regularly kill and pull it off trees.

Nini

From what I can tell, it's just a plant (I got to thinking from your post that I really don't know what it IS, either), but I did find this interesting folktale about it on the Internet. :laughing:

"As the story goes; there was once a traveler who came with his Spanish fiancée in the 1700s to start a plantation near the city of Charleston SC. She was a beautiful bride-to-be with long flowing raven hair..."

That's a nice story, except the part about the beetles. :eek: :rotfl:

Sorry it took me so long to get over here!
I also love looking out the window towards landing. I think all of the houses and tiny cars look so cool :lmao: Plus I love all the mini pools when we are landing in Florida :laughing:

Hi Caitlin! Glad to see you! I love the little pools too. When I fly "home" to CA it's always a sign that we're close. ;)

Unfortunately, Spanish Moss, while very pretty and romantic, IS a parasite. Over time it will kill the trees.

In fact, some cities regularly kill and pull it off trees.

Nini

Hmmm, interesting. The moss doesn't look attached at all but I guess it must be getting something out of it's location. Too bad such a romantic plant had to be a parasite. Of course, so is Mistletoe, so maybe there's something to be said for romance....:confused3

Sunday morning got a slow start and, thankfully, the girls slept "late" (FL time being 3 hrs ahead of AZ time helped). :littleangel: :cheer2: :rolleyes: :headache: :lmao: :confused3: :dance3:

So, I have yet to learn my lesson of leaving my computer unattended. How's this for a teaser?!? Maybe I should type in Word first, then copy and paste...:lmao:

Oh wow...you are already on Page 7 and finished with day 1 but I am here and caught up now. I am loving this TR. The pictures of the girls are beautiful. Can't wait to hear about the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter