Sprint Wi-Fi coverage at WDW?

G66

G is for Grumpy (since 1966)
Virgin Mobile offers a pay as you go USB Wi-Fi device that runs on the Sprint network. Can anyone confirm Sprint access in WDW? There is a big open spot in the coverage map over WDW.

Virgin Mobile offers a pay as you go USB Wi-Fi device that runs on the Sprint network. Can anyone confirm Sprint access in WDW? There is a big open spot in the coverage map over WDW.

Sprint was the first company that I was every able to get 3G with at WDW. It worked great at the Poly and was faster than WDW "Paid" internet. You should have no problems with Sprint. Oh and FYI, Sprint has 7 towers on Disney Property that are hidden as big trees. This almost guarantees you fantastic Sprint/Nextel coverage. Sprint/Nextel also has a ton of inbuilding repeaters all over WDW to help with in-building penetration.

wdwcellmast.jpg

Tree3-1.png
Tree4.png
tree2-1.png

Holy cow pictures! Thanks for the great response.

My Sprint internet works fine all over WDW. The phone, OTOH, craps out on me in certain places. It dropped the call 4 times during the same conversation. The other party finally said to me, "You really need to get a new phone."

I don't understand why the internet works and the phone doesn't, but that's my experience.

kaligal said:
I don't understand why the internet works and the phone doesn't, but that's my experience.

voice calls are less tolerant to a bad signal. Data, whether internet or text can handle fluctuations in signal strength and quality. Basically the data connections might be 'dropping' for a split-second and you don't even notice. If you lose signal while on a voice call, even for a second, then the call terminates.

To OP;
By the way, I have used ATT 3g service voice, iPhone, and laptop card at wdw and never had a problem. Maybe not as fast as your home wifi, but defenitely sufficient.

Honestly, I think if you stay with he big four Verizon, AT&T, Tmo, or Sprint, you should be ok.

Also, I assume you don't mean "real wifi" like hotspots all over wdw. If that is the case don't expect much.

Per other thread: Yes, I am a heavy lurker trying to get some more facetime....

I heard that there is a way to use the 3g from you iphone on your computer. Do you know anything about this?

voice calls are less tolerant to a bad signal. Data, whether internet or text can handle fluctuations in signal strength and quality. Basically the data connections might be 'dropping' for a split-second and you don't even notice. If you lose signal while on a voice call, even for a second, then the call terminates.

To OP;
By the way, I have used ATT 3g service voice, iPhone, and laptop card at wdw and never had a problem. Maybe not as fast as your home wifi, but defenitely sufficient.

Honestly, I think if you stay with he big four Verizon, AT&T, Tmo, or Sprint, you should be ok.

Also, I assume you don't mean "real wifi" like hotspots all over wdw. If that is the case don't expect much.

Per other thread: Yes, I am a heavy lurker trying to get some more facetime....

youcansmellit said:
I heard that there is a way to use the 3g from you iphone on your computer. Do you know anything about this?

It is called tethering, and you can google it for more info. ATT does not support tethering on iPhone (but do support on other phones), although other carriers (from around the world) support it on he iPhone.

Tethering is also not limited to the iPhone, blackerry's and many other phones can support it, and sometimes the wireless carrier charges seperately for tethering as an add-on charge.

Google "tether iphone" or "tether blackberry" and you'll find a ton of information.

Sprint was the first company that I was every able to get 3G with at WDW. It worked great at the Poly and was faster than WDW "Paid" internet. You should have no problems with Sprint. Oh and FYI, Sprint has 7 towers on Disney Property that are hidden as big trees. This almost guarantees you fantastic Sprint/Nextel coverage. Sprint/Nextel also has a ton of inbuilding repeaters all over WDW to help with in-building penetration.
This is correct for Nextel units, however the onsite enhancements are not going to work with data cards. The Sprint build at Disney is iDEN (Nextel) only. There is not a CDMA (Sprint) build on site. The SatCOLT / SatCOWs, hidden towers, inbuilding etc. WILL improve coverage on a Netexl handset, but will not help with 3G or Aircard Coverage. (Even though the companies have merged, they still maintain two seperate networks. iDEN units cannot roam and do not allow other devices to roam on their network.)

My favorite hidden tower on property?

78930005.jpg

(Nikon N60, Sigma 70-300, Shutter Priority Mode 1/500, ISO 400)

Others - the tree towers at The Grand Floridian and Animal Kingdom.

There is a usable Sprint CDMA signal however, as there are several towers around the perimiter of the property as well as leased tower space on property. Typically 2-4 bars depending on your location, however there will be significant signal degredation in some areas. This should still give you a fairly decent throughput. I was able to upload photos each evening and browse the DIS from my room at the Pop.

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread pop back up. I have the Virgin Mobile usb wi-fi. Hopefully I'll get a decent signal at CBR.

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread pop back up. I have the Virgin Mobile usb wi-fi. Hopefully I'll get a decent signal at CBR.

Virgin uses Sprint CDMA. Given the proximity of the CBR to the Pop Century, you should be able to connect. I got 2 bars in room and three poolside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter