Spring Break Surprise- A very WDW Birthday!

Nightenbelle

Earning My Ears
Its official as of now- so I'm going to start a Planning TR because I have a feeling this is going to be an adventure in and of itself.

So lets see usually these things start with introductions right?

Here are the participants:

Me: 30, high school teacher (English and Theater with occasional dabbling in History). Ex-cast member (DCA- carnie class of 03/04). Book addict, Whovian, Geek, and all around Disney fan girl. Grew up in Cali, moved to AR 7.5 years ago and never looked back.
New-Hair-Color.jpg

Mom and Dad: Retired. Dad an ex-principal, Mom an ex. . . well she did a lot of things- but was always Mom first. They followed me when I announced I was moving to AR to finish up college (after the two year hiatus they would have probably been thrilled with any announcement that included college plans!)

ea207428-f55e-452c-b09d-1d57ca4c0d2e.jpg

And last but not least, my child. . . sorta. She's my baby, and my best friend, and a bit of a problem on this trip- because she's not allowed in the room or the parks. Sugar.

90670e51-5615-40c3-8ebc-139a0e465bca.jpg

So that's the who, now that How.

So- I'm a Disney fanatic. I always have been. I've been to DLR more times than I can count, and my room was always filed with Disney. When life pulled a fast one on me and I ended up off the fast track to "Teaching like Daddy" I took that excuse to work for Disney for a year- best decision I ever made. Changed my life! So imagine everyone's surprise when I announced 11 months in that I was quitting and going back to school. . . 3000 miles away in Arkansas.

Yeah- no one was really that surprised- if you know me, you know the one thing I love more than Disney is my beautiful Natural State. And if you don't get it- come down and visit and let me show you MY Arkansas- its not all hillbillies and hogs (Although we have plenty of those).

I figured that I was done with the mouse for a good long while. I've only been back to Cali once in 7 years, and only for a few days- there was barely time to see family and friends, none at all to visit DLR. As for WDW or DCL- yeah, there is no way a TEACHER can afford that on AR or MO salary- not until school is payed off, considering I'm still working on the MA- thats a ways off.

So I'm minding my own business, enjoying life. I saved up a bit of money and decided to road trip to the Appalachians this summer. Mom and Dad were a bit surprised when I told them I was going alone- but really do they expect me to wait for Prince Charming (or a crazy man with a box) before I start living? I'm 30- how much longer should I be waiting? Well Mom found a way to keep me waiting a little longer.

She knocked me off my feet and asked if I was interested in spending Spring Break planing a trip to WDW instead of a road trip on my own.

Umm. . . YES Please!

So its Thursday of Spring break. I've long since realized that 3 months is much less than the average family spends planing a once in a life time trip like this- but who ever told you we were average was lying! Mom and I are orginization freaks, and we WILL get this done, and done right or die trying (I'd really rather not die trying, so lets just get this done okay?)

Did Somebody Mention Birthday?

My Dad and I have birthdays 1 week apart. His is actually June 12th and Mine June 18th. As soon as Mom mentioned WDW- I thought "YES! Birthday with Belle!" Well turns out that by going the first week of June, we can use the Spring Discount thingy. So I still consider it a birthday celebration for us both, but we're actually going to be in the park June 3rd through the 8th.

That works out though- because we will be there for at least 1 day of Star Wars Weekend 2013- so I'm even more happy. Mom's not so happy about that but *shrugs* she and Dad can do whatever park is NOT Star Warsy on the 7th, I just want to spend a few hours before I know I'll get sick of crowds and take off for sparser locals (if such exist).

Choosing a date really wasn't that big a deal. One of the nicest things about AR is that we get out of school really early compared to the rest of teh country. We would have been done May 28th, with May 29th as our teacher wrap up day, but we got a little too much snow this year and have to make up a day.

Choosing a hotel was a little more difficult. So many choices. At first- I was looking at ASM. I love music (and theater) and it was one of the less expensive options- so . . . cool!

Not cool. Mom had other ideas. If she was going to WDW, by george she was going to go in style and comfort. This was a once in a life time thing for her (I'll be back- I know I will!). So we examined and researched and generally spent 12+ hours each on the internet scouring every possible hotel. In the end, we decided that we wanted to be close to the Monorail. Non of us had any interest in the Contemporary or Polynesian- just not our style. Dad and I were learning towards the Wilderness Lodge- Mom saw the Grand Floridian and fell in love. I even tried tempting her with the idea that we could stay in club level rooms at the Wilderness for less than the Floridian, but to no avail. She loves something about that resort. And really- who am I to argue? Its gorgeous! Its delightful! Dad and I didn't so much give in, as come over to the "white" side (seriously- how do they keep that paint so dang white?)

So today we made the leap. Officially as of an hour ago- we called and made our reservations. We have a room reserved. We also went with the Delux Dining Plan- yes its a lot but. . . we love to eat. We want to do Character Dining, we want to eat at a few fancy smancy restraunts. But thats the subject of another post- because we're not quite ready to start booking reservations (I know I know- we're WAY under the 180 days- but we need to figure out where we are going when first!)

One TINY Problem

I have a dog. She's my child. She's my baby. She's a great traveler.
She stays on her pillow

c387f205-1a7c-4c85-9d7b-c7505b98b65d.jpg

Except when she needs to nap on a lap in the front
a7577a01-9e08-44a4-b14a-ccfa356d5a1b.jpg

Or when the view is better from my shoulder
48263579-400e-4c8e-a76b-8e2bd3d7d112.jpg

And if its too bright- she just buries her head and takes a nap.
bf02ec70-85ad-46eb-9be3-084feb644875.jpg

Okay enough shamlessly bragging about my Darling Pup (DP) I swear I never used to be one of those crazy dog people. I laughed at poodles. Who in the world would want a froo froo dog like that? Give me a lab any day. Then I went to the humane society to adopt a cat and met Sugar. She wagged her tail and licked my hand and I sat and played with her for a few minutes before I went to check out the kitties. A lady walked in saying she was here about the pure blooded toy poodle that was mentioned in the paper, before I knew what I was doing- I looked up and said, "I'm sorry, but she's been adopted."

We've been best friends ever since. She has her quirks- she has a desperate fear of ladies with white hair. And she goes bonkers for "that yellow stuff." We can't say the word "cheese" because she will go crazy.

No matter how much I say she's like my child- apparently Pluto and Goofy are the only dogs allowed in WDW. So what to do with her? Turns out our family around here is going on a trip the same time we are- so that is out. Most of my friends from work either have as many dogs and kids as they can handle, or live in apartments that don't allow dogs.

That left me with two choices: Bring her with and put her in the Best Friends Kennel on resort property, or put her in the kennel run by her vet here in town.

BFK is $39 a night for an indoor/outdoor (She likes to sun herself and its only $4 than the just indoor- yes I realize I'm in danger of becoming one of THOSE dog owners.) She gets a walk, and I could pay extra for cuddle time, a fluffy pillow bed, and doggy ice cream. Plus- I could come visit her and play with her and love on her whenever I want. Sounds perfect.

Except for one thing. Savannah. Mom wants to go tour Savannah on the way home. Now yes, we could get a dog hotel. And yes, I could find a kennel to leave her in, heck, I could even find a petco and have her groomed while we tour. But honestly- thats not as simple as it sounds. Or as cheap.

So the other option was to board her at her vets. She has a great vet here- we love them, Sugar loves them, they are amazing. And they have good sized dog runs for $14 a night. Plus she gets 2 long walks in the field behind the vet, and I know them- they play with the boarding animals all the time.

It broke my heart to think of two weeks without my baby- What if she thinks she's going back to the pound? But. . . honestly- I really think she will do better in a place that she is familiar with, with people I know and trust. Not cooped up in a car all day, or a strange place where I can only pop by for short visits.

So her "vacation" is booked as well.

2fb2f390-10e4-4beb-84da-b618d95407f8.jpg

"Wait- you're doing WHAT without me?"

Sorry Babe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter