Spring Break Savannah

lilaurora

Mouseketeer
My family (me, DH, and DD16) is thinking of visiting Savannah over spring break. We’ve never been but is someplace we have been interested in going to. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions on where to stay, what to do or stay away from? Also, is there any big benefit in staying in the historic district if we will have a rental car? Thanks!!

Be mindful if your break coincides with St Patrick’s Day! Not sure if this is still the case but at one point they had something like the 4th or 5th largest celebration. It’s a party!!

Be mindful if your break coincides with St Patrick’s Day! Not sure if this is still the case but at one point they had something like the 4th or 5th largest celebration. It’s a party!!
Yikes! Thank goodness no - although it might make for a different kind of fun trip! We are looking at the last week of March.

I was just there last week! I love Savannah, and have probably been there 5 times, but all have been day trips from Hilton Head which is about an hour away. We did the HOHO trolley and had a great time. I would love to stay there for several days so that I could do a little more exploring. I would like to do the riverboat and also tour some of the houses. (Every time I’ve been, I’ve gone with someone different, and they usually want to do a trolley tour. I really don’t mind as I still learn something new every time.) If I go back for a few days I would definitely want to stay in the historic district. There is just so much atmosphere there. Also a lot of restaurants that I’d like to try. I keep hearing that The Pirates House is good, but I still haven’t tried it.

How long are you looking to stay? if you are looking to go for the week, you could always do 2-3 days in Savannah and spend some time either on Hilton Head Island or even Tybee Island, which close to Savannah.

We loved our visit to Savannah four year ago. We stayed at the Homewood Suites with a balcony facing the River. For us that was PERFECT. We walked to everything we wanted to do in town, and we loved sitting on our balcony at night and watching the barges go by. I personally prefer staying in the historic district and walking, rather than dealing with parking and such, but everyone's opinions are going to differ on that. We also did a HOHO trolley and found that to be a great way to get an overview of the city and figure out what we really wanted to see while we were there.

We loved almost all of our dining there. Paula Deen's was the most disappointing to me, but I had heard it was overrated. I am still thrilled to know I ate in her Savannah location though. My favorite restaurant was The Pirate House. We had really nice brunch/early lunch at Clary's and I could have gone back for their french toast ever day. You MUST go to Leopold's for some ice cream - I can still remember my lemon ice cream.

We took a cemetary tour which was very interesting, and I loved walking to the Fountain in Forsythe Park. Just seeing all the Squares is very interesting.

Now I want to go back :)

My husband and I just visited Savannah in May. We stayed in the historic district. We did some walking tours, ghost tours, we drove to Hilton head for the day, another say trip to Tybee island ( we preferred over HHI) due o traffic and crowds. We drove to wormsloe historic site . itttps://gastateparks.org/Wormsloe

I moved to GA 5 years ago and Savannah was one of our first trips to our new state. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Savannah, 199 E Bay Street (912)231-9000. Great location. River Street in front of you, historic district in the back. All right out the front door. We ate at the Pirate House, go for their fried chicken. I think just about everybody orders it. There's also Mrs. Wilkes dining room. People start lining up early, like 1-2 hours early. Cash only. This was before Covid so I don't know how things are run now. Also did the Riverboat. We stayed 3 days and found that by the third day we really ran out of things to see and do. Probably could of gone for just 2 days and been fine.

I live in Georgia and Savannah might just be my #1 favorite place to go. I can't count how many times I've been there since it's a nice long weekend trip for us. I always stay in the historic district, either in a B&B or in one of the hotels on the River. They aren't cheap but worth it for me. I love the River Street Inn but be warned, anything on the river is going to be noisy. I hate it when I read bad reviews of those places because the boat horns kept them up. Lots and lots of really good places to eat. Since I'm from Georgia I skip Paula Deen's and Mrs. Wilkes, I can just go to Granny's house for that. There is some really nice upper scale restaurants and if you just want good fun food, lots of places on the river. The tram tour is a must, you can hop on and off and really explore that way. I like to take the tour the entire way around once without hopping off then the second time around, I hop off and explore that part of town then just walk from there. If you are into history, in the before times, there are a number of homes you can tour. They do cost but are really fun especially if you are doing a walking tour. I would caution you to be careful in downtown at night, we have never had any problems but you do need to be aware when walking around. The cemetery in the historic district is worth going to, it's really beautiful and Bonaventure is worth a visit but you are going to need your car for that. Again, if you are into history, there are a number of forts within driving distance. The good thing about Savannah is that the historic district and river street are well within walking distance so it's easy to stay in either place and just park your car and walk around. I would suggest going into the Visitor Centre . There are two tram services, I like the one that starts at the Visitor Centre, I think it's old town trolleys but just going to the Visitor Centre is going to give you everything you need to know and the people who work there are great at telling you little things to see and do that you might not think of. The Visitor Centre itself is worth going, it is in an old train depot and full of history.

You all are amazing!! Sorry it took me a bit to respond. Somehow my notifications weren’t coming through. All your advice is fabulous! It is just making me even happier in finally making it to Savannah!

My cousin had her bachelorette/bridesmaids meet and greet in Savannah! I know she did a few karaoke bars, they did the trolly where you drink and eat and get the sites in. They did a flower crown demonstration at a florist and then they found this woman who taught them and helped them prepare a full southern meal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter