Spring break or Summer break?

disneyfamiof4

Mouseketeer
We are trying to decide when to go to Disney World, planning on staying onsite. I have not gone during spring break since I was about 8 years old. We went during the 2nd week of June in 2013.

What would you do and why (please be descriptive i.e. too hot, too busy, historically better discounts etc)? Our spring break falls on the 3rd week of March. Our family is me, dh, dd will be 8 and ds will be 5.
Thanks!

Spring Break varies greatly for everyone. Whenever school is out and there is a holiday like Easter, it's more crowded. We were just at WDW for Spring Break (April 12- 21 for us) and it was crowded but not the worst I've seen it. I don't know when you would plan to go during the summer, but for me, I can't stand the hotter weather. It becomes not enjoyable and everyone is miserable because they're so hot.

Spring Break varies greatly for everyone. Whenever school is out and there is a holiday like Easter, it's more crowded. We were just at WDW for Spring Break (April 12- 21 for us) and it was crowded but not the worst I've seen it. I don't know when you would plan to go during the summer, but for me, I can't stand the hotter weather. It becomes not enjoyable and everyone is miserable because they're so hot.

Thanks, I am worried about the heat in the summer, about the crowds during spring break and which season offers historically better deals on flights and room discounts....decisions decisions... lol

We've done both spring break and early summer (first week of June)

Summer is definitely hotter, spring break definitely more crowded. That's a tough one to choose between, lesser if 2 evils sort of thing.

I think it depends a lot on your touring style. If you are full day go-go-go types, you can still get a lot done with spring break crowds and not be miserable in the heat doing it.

If you like to take it easy with mid-day swimming breaks, I would go with summer.

I prefer to leave as soon as school lets out for the summer. For us, that is the Friday before Memorial Day.

The March crowd calendar at easyWDW was just released, and most of the third week of March has a crowd level of 7. Only Friday and Saturday are an 8. That would be less crowded and definitely less hot than the summer. I vote for March.

Thanks, I am worried about the heat in the summer, about the crowds during spring break and which season offers historically better deals on flights and room discounts....decisions decisions... lol

TouringPlans.com has historical information and for the Spring Break period in 2013 crowd levels were mostly between 6 and 9 with a few 5's thrown in (there were two 3's during one Tuesday and Wednesday)

For 2014 for the same March time frame the levels were much more consistent at 6 through 8.

Summer is summer at WDW.........crowds and heat!

Doug :goofy:

Spring break is so much closer to now than summer break, but I don't want to be stuck in crowds big enough to shut down mk. It sounds as if the crowds aren't too bad for our spring break, it seems to be a little earlier than most because of Easter. I am thinking spring break may be winning, but still not sure. Thanks for all your responses so far!

Just got back from our trip I will never EVER go in the summer again. It was too hot! Next trip will be a fall/winter trip! :) We booked our fastpasses for late morning...got there at rope drop, took breaks. I think I could handle the spring breakers! :)

We have gone in mid July before, and while it was hot it was doable. We went early and then headed back to the resort in the afternoon to swim and take naps. We headed back to the parks in the evening and stayed til close usually. We are going in a couple of weeks. July was fun, but September is definitely the best month to go.

We went at the end of June / beginning of July this year, and it was incredibly hot. Being the youngest, I can handle it, but the parents can't. Mom was absolutely miserable. Waiting in the hot hot sun for the FoF parade on our first day was basically torture for her. Crowds weren't bad at all though. The longest we waited was probably 30 minutes. I would recommend spring break however. We went during race weekend in February, which I assume has comparable weather to March. It was absolutely beautiful! We had been stuck in 20-30 degree weather for months, so it was 55 degrees and I was in shorts and a tanktop. Lines were also short, we didn't wait longer than 20 minutes for a ride. I would definitely go with spring break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter