• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spring Break: how crazy is it?

lthiesfeld07

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I am going to WDW from March 24-30 this year. How bad is it? Should I plan on getting at a park early everyday and staying until close? Is park hopping out of the option? It is just my friend and I, and I enjoy to park hop during the day.

I just want to get my expectations ready for this week! I haven't experienced a "10" on Touring Plans.com. Highest I've experienced is a "7" and that wasn't bad!

Any Spring Break veterans?

Yes, get to the park early every day. If you leave mid-day, you risk not being able to get back in (at least at Magic Kingdom), because your week is the week before Easter -- and the past several years MK has closed at least once during that week because it was filled to capacity.

I suggest that you look at the photos of Christmas day at MK at 8:30 am and then again at noon, which you will find in Post #39 at
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3036251&page=3

You will probably experience something similar to that.

We've been during Spring Break the last two years an going back again March 16th-23rd. 9/10 are normal, but we are normally able to do everything we want to by getting there at open and having a plan on what we want to do. We normally hop a couple of times during the week. Hope you have a great time!

We've been during Spring Break the last two years an going back again March 16th-23rd. 9/10 are normal, but we are normally able to do everything we want to by getting there at open and having a plan on what we want to do. We normally hop a couple of times during the week. Hope you have a great time!

we've gone the past two spring breaks as well and would defintely go again. yes,the parks get a crowded mid-afternoon but you can arrive early, leave for a few hours and come back (or hop). the weather was great both times, the flower and garden is up and i felt the crowds were extremly manageable.

I think it is good to have realistic expectations, but dont worry too much. We went the week between Christmas and New Years and the parks closed every day, but we got there for rope drops (8am) and left around 1 or 2 when it became too crazy for us. Then we cam back around 5. We got to do everything we wanted. The longest 2 lines we waited in were Pirates (30min) and Be Our Guest QS (25min).

Have fun!

Spring Break generally can be fine, or not, depending on which week during the season yours is. The week you are talking about is the week before Easter, which is about the worst week, crowdwise, during the spring break season. It's still disney, though.

We were there about the same time in March last year. It was, by far, the worst crowds we have ever experienced. We swear we will never go again at that time!

We have not done Christmas week or any other time that is rated 10 and have never experienced parks closing due the max capacity reached....and never hope to.

I don't mind busy, but shoulder to shoulder packed? Not my idea of a fun day.

Is the week after as bad as the week before Easter? We will be there April 2 through 8th.

I would definitely be fully prepared for the worst during those times...I think you can still have a great time, just expect long lines, etc. I personally stay far away from the parks during peak times like that, but I know that isn't an option for everyone.

I feel like early mornings and late evenings would be the most ideal times to hit all your must-do attractions. All the times in between, I would focus on doing other activities....

I've read a lot of threads on this topic and it seems that end of March is traditionally a very busy time in disney. This year Easter is also at the end of March, so I personally am bracing for larger crowds. However, we have been to disney the last 2 years for Easter week and it has not been bad at all. Last year 2012 no parks closed due to full capacity. So far for this Easter 2013, there is still a lot of empty rooms at disney resorts so that is hopeful regarding crowd-level. Best suggestion is to get to the parks early and do your must-haves. No matter what time of year we go to disney, we like to take mid-day breaks back at our resort. Parks always tend to peak with crowds during that time frame. Then we go back to a different park around dinner time, usually.

Thanks everyone for the info.

I am a teacher, so I unfortunately these are going to be the times when I can travel. Crowds I don't mind. I am worried about going to a park and wanting to park hop and can't because the park closed to capacity. I have an AP and will be staying onsite, and I like to park hop during the day.

Example: if I am at Epcot and want to head to MK. Could I ask a CM at Guest Relations if MK is closed? (If I didn't check on my smart phone already lol)

We went the last week of March in 2008 and we swore we would never do March again. For us it was one of those been there, learned better things. We also have been for President's weekend for a dance competition and also will not do that one again. Don't get me wrong, if we had no other choice, we would do it, spring break or no Disney, I would do it. We have just always planned other weeks to go and try to avoid those weeks. The crowds were awful but that wasn't what got to us, it was all the rude people. When you put that many people in a space, some people just can't handle it and take it out on other people. So go with your happy face on, and decide to not let others bring you down, and they won't. Have a good time and enjoy yourself.

We went the week before Easter two years ago and the crowds were 9s and 10s every day. It was my first time back at WDW since I was a kid so I really had nothing to compare it to (crowds don't really register when you're a kid! :) ). I had done tons of research beforehand and had touring plans in hand. We never felt like it was super crowded. We used the Lines app to verify wait times but the touring plans were spot on and we never felt like we were waiting too long. We brought all sorts of things to entertain our two boys (4 and 7 at the time) while waiting in lines and seriously never used them. Maybe I was looking through pixie dust covered glasses but it was awesome :)

The only "bad" thing I can remember is not being able to do the jedi training but I really think that was our fault :) We were running a little late on our only HS day so we missed rope drop and completely missed our opportunity. Oh well, we'll try again this year! ;)

Is the week after as bad as the week before Easter? We will be there April 2 through 8th.

Yes, both weeks surrounding Easter Sunday are very crowded. You'll want to be at the parks before opening to get in as much as you can before the crowds arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter