spring break flights--tips, ideas?

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
I am looking at going next spring break. The best rate I found was $213, leaving the night before. Now that is up to $238 with a very early return time--$268 for a later time. And that is Thursday-Thursday, missing a day of work/school (but that's OK, all the kids have near-perfect attendance).
That is Detroit-MCO on Northwest. Delta is over $400--flights out of Cleveland $400-500.
I'm not expecting $150 flights, but do things get better closer to March (say in the fall), or should I plan on driving? We don't want to firm up our plans until after our August trip.
Robin M.

Hi,

Waiting for airfare is like playing the stock market! Sometimes you look really smart by waiting, and sometimes...well, not so smart.

My advice is: if you are comfortable with the fare, book it now. Or you can gamble and take your chances...

Good luck!

We used to go to WDW for Spring break every year and prices never seemed to go anywhere but up. I imagine it depends upon the market but here virtually all schools except Chicago take the same week and demand is huge.

I agree with Bob.

But what prices did you have to pay for those trips? I can't believe anyone would pay $400 for a flight booked months in advance. We just have to decide whether or not to fly by November, I would guess. If we drive our park time will be Saturday-Friday. If we fly, Friday-Thursday.
Robin M.

Actually, $400 was about as good as we could get in the Chicago market in the 90s for Spring break. Airfares are so much cheaper especially in real dollars these days but of course we all get what we pay for, don't we? Service, meals, backup contingencies for storms, etc..

Anyway, markets do vary. I read the complaints of folks in the NE who pay fares to MCO lower than we ever see here.:confused3 In the Chicago area, I would be very glad to buy a Spring break fare of $268 for a time I like on a legacy carrier.

Good luck with your decision. I hope someone from the Detroit area happens along with more advice.

I've always booked my spring break fares as soon as I could. They've always ended up just going up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter