Spring Break? Crazy?

3xmom

Earning My Ears
Dh and I took our kids last year late April-early May. Loved it-great weather, low crowds. We want to go again next spring but I am feeling a little guilty taking the kids out of school again for a week. So, I am thinking about going over spring break (late March). Will I totally regret it? Will the crowds be horrid? Would love to hear past experiences!

Our school district doesn't give us a "Spring Break" except for 3 days off at Easter and a Friday and Monday for Pres Weekend. I've decided if they can't put it in the calendar then I'm going to take the kids out (at least while they're younger). When oldest gets to Middle School...that's different.

I did read somewhere that March can be tough b/c of all the spring breaks.

We go almost every spring break, and our spring break is late March. The weather is wonderful. It's very crowded, so we plan three theme park days on a week long trip where we get up early and are there at rope drop. And we follow the Unofficial Guide touring plans for Disney parks to the T -- save hours of time in lines. In between rope drop days we hang at our resort / do 1/2 day attractions where sleeping in is not an issue and crowds are not an issue.

Because we do not take our kids out of school our choices are Summer, Christmas, or Spring Break, and Spring Break IMHO is the best of these three options.

Christmas is as busy as spring break and weather can be iffy. We've had wonderful weather (70s and low 80s), but we've had days where in the early evening it was as cold as 30. You take a chance.

Summer -- Maybe a little less crowded than spring break, but not by alot and very hot and humid weather -- Yuck. Fine for water parks and beach, but hotter than I like for theme parks

Spring - Best chance for glorious weather // Crowds are manageable if you get up early and follow a touring plan on park days. // I find it to be a very pleasant vacation and am willing to do the early days and touring plans, so that we don't have our kids miss school.

We went this year during Spring Break, third week of March. It was our first trip, so I can't compare it to any other times.

However, I will say that we made a point of getting to the parks at rope drop, and we did everything we wanted to do multiple times. We walked onto BTMRR, Space Mountain, Buzz, Everest...basically we waited 30 minutes or less for every ride all day, with some careful use of fastpasses for the big rides. Our longest wait was for Dole whip floats.

I was nervous about going during Spring Break, but we had a great time, the weather was gorgeous, and I would not hesitate to go again the same week.

Like others have said, Spring Break is not the best time to go, but it is not bad at all. The weather is great and crowds are manageable as long as you get to the parks for RD. Also, based on the fact that Easter is April 8th next year, late March should have less crowds than the other spring break weeks. Most of the breaks will be the first or second week of April and most of the March breaks will be the during the second week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter