• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spring Break 2015 - Universal Studios & Cabana Bay Beach Resort

bfrosty

Mouseketeer
Universal Studios Voyage 4/2/15-4/7/15

Cabana Bay Beach Resort @ Universal Studios w/4-day Ticket Package (both parks)

Thursday, April 2nd – Flight/Cabana Bay Beach Resort

Friday, April 3rd – Universal Studios Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios

Saturday, April 4th - Universal Studios Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios

Sunday, April 5th - Universal Studios Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios/Mass

Monday, April 6th - Universal Studios Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios

Tuesday, April 7th – Flight Home

***Please not that @ The Cabana Bay Beach Resort, you only get into the Harry Potter sections of the parks an hour early. I think at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock and Portofino you get the Unlimited Express pass. I can't verify that though. The normal Express pass allows you to ride each ride once per visit.

Travel/Hotel Checkin – Great flight down via Southwest Airlines, we used the Mears Shuttle R/T service. Mears was great, friendly and fast. Mears transportation is located on Level 1 at MCO. We made one stop at the Ren@SeaWorld to drop a few passengers off. Check-in at CBBR was normal as expected; just flashed a credit card for charges and our room was ready NOW!!! About 2:30pm local time. (Advantage over Disney) – we had our luggage with us, didn’t have to wait 3-4hrs for DME to deliver it to the room. We were able to unpack and enjoy the pool instantly. We checked out the grounds, located the food areas (Bayliner Diner, Starbucks, Bowling Alley, Bars by Pools) Found the firepits, beaches, games, lazy river. Lots of amenities at the hotel, just as many as a Disney resort.

The Room – We stayed in room 4603; a tower room in the main building. Just behind the Bayliner Diner, there was an elevator. Floor 6, out the elevator and our room was third on the right, very close and convenient. I did notice a lot of noise from the window and our lock off door, moreso than a Disney resort. Our room faced the parking garage and street. Our two queen beds and put out sofa was plenty of room for our family of 5. The kitchen had a sink, college-size refrigerator (bigger than Disney), coffee maker, microwave. Two extra chairs and two coffee tables. Two flat screens, two sinks, shower/tub, separate toilet area, inwall safe, iron, ironing board, closet. Very roomy, but may be tight for 6 adults. Not a lot of room to eat a meal in the room itself. All furnishing were new and fresh, some of the furniture didn’t even looked used at all. It is a very bright room, white walls and bright colors. I’m a big Wilderness lodge fan and I like the dark colors, seems more comfortable and relaxing. Floor to ceiling windows was really nice and the ceiling height was 9’. Most hotels are like 7’6”, so this made the room feel bigger than it was.

The Parks – We didn’t have the Unlimited Express passes that come with the other three hotels (Royal Pacific, Hard Rock or Portofino), but we did get into Harry Potter an hour early each day. So, for Friday, Saturday and Sunday we opted to be at the gates at 7am. This wasn’t a big deal, since we typically leave our house for school about 7am. We woke at 5:30am each day to the Optimus Prime telling us to join him and the ride. Ate breakfast in room (Cinnabon 6-pack) delicious!!! The first few mornings, at the bus stop at 6:30am, at the park by 6:45am. It’s only about a 5min ride to the parking lot drop off at the bottom of the escalators.

I’m going to be generic here…we visited each park each day using the “Hogwarts Express Train” to move from park to park. The mornings were full of people from the resorts, the weather was a cool start but was very warm by 1pm-5pm each day. We did so much by 10:30am that we wondered what was left to do. 4-days gives you plenty of time to casually visit the parks and ride when you want. Now, by 12pm to 7pm the crowds were full on strong. I’d say most popular rides like Harry Potter, Hulk, Water Rides and such went to 60min-90min. Both Harry Potter worlds were packed by 11am each day…so much that it was shoulder to shoulder walking. Ugh!! =(( It was fun and it added a lot of energy and excitement to be there in the thick of it.

RIDES

Our favorite – Harry Potter’s Forbidden Journey

2nd Place – Escape from Gringott’s

3rd Place – The Dragon’s Challenge

4th Place – The Mummy

5th Tied – Rip Saw Falls and Popeye’s Bilge Rat Barges

6th Place – The Simpsons Ride

7th Place – Rip Ride and Rocket Rollercoaster

8th Place – Transformers 3D

9th Place – The Hulk

10th Place – Spiderman 3D

11th Place – Shrek 4D

The worst – Despicable Me 3D ride (Luckily, it was open at 7am and rode it @5min wait.) I couldn’t imagine waiting 85min to ride it. That ride was like 60min-90min wait time each day.

The Most Anticipated ride – The New KING KONG ride, it looks amazing from the outside already.

The Most disappointing, but looked exciting ride? – The Pterradon Flyers. You have to be between two different height measurements to ride the gondola-type ride. My DD10 was the only one, but she didn’t want to ride it alone.

The Best playground areas – The Fievels mouse area, Jurassic Camp area and Dr. Seuss play areas.

Citywalk Impressions – This area was located as you travelled from the bus stops to the park entrances. It was okay, just a lot places to waste your money. We did end up eating at COWFISH (sushi/burgers) and it was very good. We had truffle fries (fries/bacon/cheese), bento boxes. In addition, we did stop at Cinnabon to get a box of 6-Cinnamon rolls that we ended up eating for breakfast a couple mornings. They are so delicious without being too sweet. I highly recommend them over Starbucks pastries.

Food Reviews –

@Cabana Bay Beach Resort

The Bayliner Diner was the main food court area with 4 stations to choose different food types. Sandwich station, Pizza’s/Flatbread, Grill area, Pasta area. A salad bar and frozen yogurt bar too. Along with some snack type stuff and coolers of beverages. We didn’t opt for the $17.99 drink cups, just asked for water cups mostly. Our favorites here were the Flatbread pizzas (BBQ brisket and Buffalo Chicken), kids cheese pizza, breakfast wraps, fruit bar, pancakes and waffles. The fruit was amazing and so were the bananas at the checkout. Frozen yogurt was delicious too, Mango Sorbet, Birthday Cake, Chocolate, Vanilla and Choco/Van twist. We didn’t eat at the pool areas or the bowling alley. We did grab a few bakery items at Starbucks, but they were not that great. Our bakery item was from Cinnabon at Citywalk.

@citywalk – Cowfish

The Cowfish restaurant is fairly new to city walk (6-months old). It is located at the split between both parks (IOA and US). We rode the elevator up to the 2nd floor. The menu was vast and lots of variety. The food was excellent. The Truffle fries, bento boxes and burgers all tasted top quality. The décor was fun and exciting. Touchscreen games built into the bartop, fun booths, fishtanks both real and digital were located throughout.

@universal Studios – The Simpsons area

The Simpson food area is a combination food court area. We had chicken waffles, flaming moe drink and chicken nuggets. The food was horrible, the décor was amazing. It was very busy here when we visited. I was not impressed at all.

@islands of Adventure – Mythos Restaurant

I want to start by saying we ate here twice. The décor was amazing, great food and atmosphere. The inside took you away from the parks and into a quiet world. Our favorites here were the Spanakopita, Sushi for appetizers. Main courses; Pad Thai w/Shrimp & Chicken, Mahi Mahi, Beef Medallions. Deserts; Banana Gooey Cake and Peanut Butter/Oreo Ice Cream. Mythos was our favorite restaurant and even beat out Cowfish.

@Diagon Alley - The Leaky Culdron
We ate Lunch here and the food was amazing. It was a sitdown, but they delivered your food to the table. The Leaky Culdron was a hybrid counter service/sitdown restaurant. I've heard that they serve breakfast too. It was lightning fast delivery of our food. We enjoyed the Guinness Beef Stew, Fish and Chips and Bangers&Mash. We had a great time here and recommend it. No ressies necessary.

Our final impressions –

We thoroughly enjoyed our little 4-day trip to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. The new Cabana Bay Beach resort was a great place to stay, excellent transportation (padded bus seats) quick ride to park and easy dropoff and pickup. The rooms were big, plenty of amenities for a family of 5, a bit cramped for 6 though. Great onsite food with lots of variety, places to eat inside and outside, excellent pools, bars poolside, bowling alley, firepits, sand beaches, games to play and seating areas both public and semi-private. They also have movies playing at sundown. A PG-13 one the lazy river side and a G movie playing on the slide side.

The two parks were amazing and we loved a lot of the rides we didn’t know existed. Our favorite areas were the Harry Potter sections. We love the Forbidden Journey ride and the train back and forth between the areas. We agree that they should expand Harry Potter world to take over the whole park, plus add a Harry Potter themed hotel and serve butterbeer everywhere on property and at the resorts (wishful thinking) =))

It’s definitely a theme park for older kids (Pre-Teen and up), but we did see a few dozen strollers here and there, but not much for little ones to do at the parks. The play areas I mentioned above and the Hogwarts Express was about it.

I want to recommend highly “CowFish” and “Mythos” restaurants. Please be sure to visit them at least once on your trip.

At first we started to compare this to Disney, but after the 2nd day we forgot and were consumed by Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. It is very different and that’s a good change of events and scenery compared to Disney’s Parks and Resorts.

Enjoy your next trip, I hope this was informative and enjoy the photos.

Last edited:
Photos -
At The Resort
MMaJp1z.jpg

The Resort Buildings
fKwB5Gc.jpg

AAgX0fF.jpg

Food Area Mural
VINOiOF.jpg

Universal Studios - Islands of Adventure
gpBSi17.jpg

pLFxgDN.jpg

Mythos Restaurant - Rosemary bread
CWCsrr5.jpg

Mythos Banana Gooey Cake and Peanut Butter/Oreo Ice Cream in back
c174kOB.jpg

The Restaurant view
vFhlHtz.jpg

The Simpsons Food Court - Chicken & Waffles and a Flaming Moe drink
vG2dH7f.jpg

Hogwarts Express
HRrd2qc.jpg

daCddSp.jpg

Diagon Alley
avx0hxe.jpg

7hvb50Y.jpg

QrzdPJZ.jpg

Gringott's Bank
kRvj9yu.jpg

KV00ElO.jpg

BiP0IG4.jpg

Harry Potters Forbidden Journey
846GuOB.jpg

The Deathly Hallows drink (Apple Cider Beer, Ale and Guiness on top)
NexI2AJ.jpg

Last edited:
Loved your report. Will definitely try Cowfish as something for all of us. We have 21 nights in August but only one night at PBH to take advantage of express and early entry. We loved the train last year, being from London it was all very surreal. We will visit Universal in the evening as well on others days that we aren't onsite. In 11previous trips we have never eaten at Citywalk. Our son wants to try Bubba Gump.

Great Portugal1000 -

Everything does look more mysterious at night...they have the park lighted very well and I think its easier to see where you're walking. Disney has a lot of dark spots at night, especially at their Halloween parties.

I've never been to London, but Germany...and it does feel like you are there...they did a great job on all the detail.

We thought about trying Bubba Gump Shrimp Co....but we thought...shrimp is shrimp...I think its more about the atmosphere. A friend ate at Margaritaville and thought it was very expensive and not that great tasting....again...you're there for the atmosphere....same as The Simpsons food court.

Cowfish uses some good quality beef. I think maybe grass-fed and no hormones??? not sure, but it had a great meaty taste to it...almost steak-like.

Enjoy!
Bfrosty.

How far in advance can you or do you have to make dining reservations? We are going at a busy time, and the family wants to eat at Mythos..

Thank you for the great trip report!

cbombard - Yes, I must admit we make 180 day reservations at Disney each trip. For this Universal trip...we made ZERO!!! hahaha...oh boy!!!

We totally lucked out at Mythos the 1st time. We arrived at the doors about 10:45am, they open at 11am. Third in line, we got a table in 15min. I swear...by the time we sat down in the waiting area...the next few people were told 1hr 15min....then a couple minutes later it was 2hr wait time.

We just lucked out.

The second visit, we arrived about 12noon and they got us in at 3:30pm....late lunch/early dinner. We had a late start that day, so we had breakfast at 10:30am....no big deal.

It was strange, lots of empty tables after being seated both times....I guess other people had reservations and they had to hold those tables???

I would say call for ressies about 90-days in advance? I'm not sure how far in advance you can do that...I'm sure its on the boards here somewhere.

Next visit, we will definitely make a few reservations for Mythos....NOW!!! Cowfish was just a walkin restaurant...they don't take reservations.

Hope this helps.
Bfrosty

Oh...Oh...EVERYBODY!!!

We were told that the construction across the street from Cabana Bay Beach resort in another Universal Resort. It will be a Safari Themed Resort (ala Animal Kingdom???)

Enjoy!
Bfrosty.

you can only book mythos 30 days out on open table or net table.

of course, what we are told now might not be the same time period later for this year at mythos.

Oh...Oh...EVERYBODY!!!

We were told that the construction across the street from Cabana Bay Beach resort in another Universal Resort. It will be a Safari Themed Resort (ala Animal Kingdom???)

Enjoy!
Bfrosty.

Do you mean Sapphire Falls?

Was announced last year but it's not safari/animal themed. It's more Caribbean influenced.

schumi was correct.
go check on the loews website for more info on the sapphire falls resort that will open in 2016.
i had been watching the construction on it when staying on site.

when it first went up, there was talk about it being used also for many of the conventions like the rpr does.

haven't checked out sapphire in many months so i'm behind the times on its progress.

There is a booth in the park where you can make dining reservation. That is how we got reservations day of.

How far in advance can you or do you have to make dining reservations? We are going at a busy time, and the family wants to eat at Mythos..

Thank you for the great trip report!

Reservations are only available 30 days in advance for Mythos. Right now reservations are only being taken through May 11th. You can make reservations on the universal orlando website.

Ann

Awesome. You were there the same time my son and I were there. April 2nd to 5th. Stayed at Cabana Bay as well.

I paid for the express passes. Definitely worth it! I cant imagine waiting 90 minutes for Despicable Me ride, although it was fun. I did notice a few times we didn't need an express pass. ET Ride, Simpsons.......Mainly because it was very early in the day. Amazing how much you can get done from 8-11 am before it gets really busy. We swam and rested back at the hotel during the mid-day and headed back out in the late afternoons until close.

My Sons favorite ride turned out to be the Simpsons Ride. We must have rode that 5 times or so? hahah But we also rode Spiderman and Transformers multiple times. So much fun!

I thought the bus service worked very well. The longest we waited for a bus was maybe 5-10 minutes?

We did use the walking path a couple of times, but I wouldn't recommend it if your tired, or have trouble walking. Took us about 20 minutes or so from hotel to Citywalk.

All in all, a great trip. Well worth it!

Oh, and Cabana Bay was nice. I wouldn't recommend it though with a large family. The rooms would get crowded.

Oh no, we didn't wait 85min...we hit it one morning and it was open at 7am already...same as Harry Potter Land. The Simpsons ride was surprisingly funny and enjoyable...I really liked it...wish I rode it more. Busses were great....better than Disney!!!...did you notice they were Padded!!!! unlike the hard shell Disney busses. We didn't take the path since we had our 16-month boy with us this time.

I did think that for a Family suite that held up to 6....it would be very close quarters for 6 people. Much agreed.

Oh no, we didn't wait 85min...we hit it one morning and it was open at 7am already...same as Harry Potter Land. The Simpsons ride was surprisingly funny and enjoyable...I really liked it...wish I rode it more. Busses were great....better than Disney!!!...did you notice they were Padded!!!! unlike the hard shell Disney busses. We didn't take the path since we had our 16-month boy with us this time.

I did think that for a Family suite that held up to 6....it would be very close quarters for 6 people. Much agreed.

Yea, the Despicable Me line moves slooooow. Even for Express Pass. It's just the stop and Go nature of how the ride works though.

Simpsons Ride was surprisingly great. I even loved the little films they showed during the preload.

How long did you wait for the Potter rides? Our wait wasn't too bad. On Thursday Night we only waited about 15 minutes for Forbidden Journey around 9pm. Then we got up the next morning and rode Gringotts around 8:30 am. Waited about 45 minutes. Cool, unique rides!

op, i got side tracked and didn't mention this yet....

oh my, some of your pictures are breathtaking.
the HE with the steam looks like a post card picture!

Loved your trip report.. Heading down there in June!! Staying at cabana bay!!! Me and my sidekick...

op, i got side tracked and didn't mention this yet....

oh my, some of your pictures are breathtaking.
the HE with the steam looks like a post card picture!

Thanks, I can't take credit though. That photo was taken by my DD10. She loves photography.

Loved your trip report.. Heading down there in June!! Staying at cabana bay!!! Me and my sidekick...

Thanks. Enjoy your stay. We are thinking about going back soon....maybe this year still to Universal. We may do a Disney trip....not sure really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter