• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spray sunscreen that won't stain?

mulderxcoltrane

DIS Veteran
Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations on spray sunscreen for our family that doesn't stain clothes.

We LOVE sprays b/c of how easy they are to apply quickly when in the parks.
However, we've stained quite a few shirt collars as a result of using such sprays.

The first application of the day at the hotel is non-problematic b/c we just spray the kids with their shirts off. Once we're in the park...that's not an option. ;)

Does anyone use a specific brand that doesn't stain clothes?

are you sure the stain is from the sunscreen ? It sounds more like sweat stains to me.

Could be combination of the sunscreen residue and sweat ?

We've use many brands and I can't say we've ever really had sunscreen stains before

Ugh, i know what you are talking about! We always have issues with my husbands white t shirts! I wish I knew the answer to this myself!

are you sure the stain is from the sunscreen ? It sounds more like sweat stains to me.

Could be combination of the sunscreen residue and sweat ?

We've use many brands and I can't say we've ever really had sunscreen stains before

No - it's the spray sunscreen - it leaves a slight "greasy" mark around the shirt. I may/may not have even tested it on an old junky shirt. ;)

Ugh, I know EXACTLY what you mean. Try colorscience powder sunblock and get the clear translucent. It will show on hairlines if you have dark hair but otherwise is great for touchups and ears. Someone on the Disneyland board recommended it and I love it! Super lightweight and easy to carry and even easier to apply. And it lasts a long time. Warning: it's not cheap -- about $40-45 for the brush with sunblock but it's convenient, lasts a good long time as I only use it for touchups and hard to spray areas like hairlines and ears, and works great. BTW, be sure to look to decide if you want the waterproof stuff or not if you go this route.

I use (on myself) coppertone clearly sheer dry spray. It sprays on and its dry - not greasy or sticky like other sprays. Smells like baby powder. It comes in spf 30 and 50.

Actually be very careful with spray sunscreen. The FDA says not to use it on children at all. And is in the works to actually ban it. I read one report last summer that linked it to childhood lung cancer, but I can't seem to find it again, so that might have just been fear mongering. We always used the spray prior to the reports coming out last summer and never had any staining issues. We used copper tone in the white can. I switched to lotion as soon as the FDA released their preliminary report though. The convenience is not worth the risk. If the FDA says no, it must be really bad since the FDA allows all sorts of scary stuff to be added to our food and doesn't bat an eye.

We only use spray sunscreen at Disney and used the Banana Boat kids spray in the yellow container and it didn't stain. You have to be careful that no one breathes in the sunscreen, that's the part that is dangerous. A lot of times I spray it in my hand first if we're in the park so no one gets the "sunscreen cloud." Or make sure there's no one around you!

We have had the same issue. We have a well that has iron in it, when we wash shirts that have sunscreen with avobenzone on it, the sunscreen pulls out the iron and leaves orange stains. It took me forever to figure this out. I was blaming the kids for spilling things.

This just happened for the first time to me! We just got back from our trip and I got everything washed. Half of our stuff is ruined with brown stains anywhere the sunscreen touched especially around the collars and around the bottom of sleeves. The stains do no come out. I've tried everything! I used Coppertone Sport. I looked up some reviews when I got home and there are tons of complaints about it staining clothing. Wish that I would have known that before our trip. :/

I have used Neutrogena spray in the past with no staining issues.

I've had staining with every one we've tried; though I've gotten a lot more careful when I (rarely) use them now. For the most part I use lotion sunscreen for this reason. There are a couple bottles of the spray floating around our house, and I guess I like the Neutrogena spray on/rub in kind because I can spray it farther from the clothes and be more careful where I'm rubbing it, for myself or the kids. Because of both the chemicals and the spray factor, I rarely use spray on the kids...mostly lotion for us.

Following! Last trip we got a lot of new white/light colored outfits for the trip so we could coordinate for pictures and ruined a LOT of clothes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter