Spray Sunscreen in Luggage?

Sweety_tweety

Mouseketeer
I want to take three cans of sunscreen with me. The smallest is 5 oz--too large for the carry-on.

The TSA website lists Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) are prohibited on checked and carry-on luggage.

If I pack three cans in my checked luggage, will they confiscate it? :confused3 Just hoping maybe someone has had some experience with this.

I know I could use the regular lotion, but I already bought the spray sunscreen and did not think of it being prohibited by the airline. I also prefer the spray to the lotion sunscreens. I am very fair and don't want to spend a fortune on sunscreen at the airport. Thanks!

From what I have read:

"If the personal item is flammable, in the form of an aerosol such as hairspray, or a liquid like fingernail polish remover, then the capacity of the container may not exceed 18oz (.5kg) or 16 fl.oz. (470mL).

The total quantity of personal items that would otherwise be classified as hazardous material may not exceed 70oz (2kg) or 68 fl.oz. (2L). "

I found this on Flytalk.com written by HSVTSO DEAN, I believe he works for the TSA, and checked the numbers, another TSA worker said basically the same but was not sure on the numbers.
So you shouldn't have a problem. And my last trip I did fly back with over 3 cans of spray on sunscreen in one suitcase.
Donna

I will be honest, I never really thought about it. I only use spray sunscreen and fly with it whenever we go on vacation. I have sent in checked luggage to Florida, Vegas, California etc and never had a problem. I would hate to find out that it is not allowed. I also have checked spray deoderent.

My personal record for one suitcase is 19 8-oz cans; I routinely bring 10 or more, and I've never lost one, even when TSA has opened my bag.

You might want to bag it in a zip lock bag. I bag all my aerosols and semi liquids. The chance of a can failing in a baggage compartment at altitude and dumping all over you clothing is rare but it can happen.

If the aerosol is for your PERSONAL use...aka you can wear it on your body (perfume, hair spray, sunscreen) it's ok. It's considered a toiletry. Air freshener, on the other hand, is NOT considered a personal use item. It is sprayed (hopefully) into the air, and not on your body.

I work for TSA.

If the aerosol is for your PERSONAL use...aka you can wear it on your body (perfume, hair spray, sunscreen) it's ok. It's considered a toiletry. Air freshener, on the other hand, is NOT considered a personal use item. It is sprayed (hopefully) into the air, and not on your body.

I work for TSA.

Thanks Carriemel for the official word and to everyone else. I, too, have been wondering about this.

:smooth:

I was just coming on here to post the SAME question. Good to know that my spray sunscreen and hairspray won't explode! (I'll pack them in a ziploc just in case!)

I was just coming on here to post the SAME question. Good to know that my spray sunscreen and hairspray won't explode! (I'll pack them in a ziploc just in case!)

I would double bag them because I have had leaks before but no bottles exploding:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter