Spots for kids to burn off some energy in each park?

jana616

DIS Veteran
When we went in 2009, we stumbled upon a play area near Splash Mountain, as well as a water fountain play area in Epcot. They ended up being some of my kids' favorite moments, as they had a chance to burn off some steam without having to wait in line. So this trip, I want to make sure I know about as many of these spots as possible in each park, so we've got some places ready to hit when they need a little downtime. Can you all please give me some more ideas of places like this? Especially water play areas, but we'll take anything...bonus points if they are near the thrill rides so we can utilize them during rider swap times. Thanks!

At DHS there's a Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, it's near the back of the park close to where you enter Lights, Motor, Action. Animal Kingdom has the Boneyard. It's an area where kids can dig around for fossils and there's also a play area. The Boneyard is in the Dinoland area of AK, I think right as you enter the area.

Thanks! We actually spent quite a bit of time in both of those playgrounds in 2009...my boys loved them! Now I'm just trying to find some more of those little spots that you might not know to look for, but are great for kids to relax a little. I think maybe there is one near Mission Space or Test Track or somewhere in Epcot, but (obviously, lol) not sure on specifics!

Yup, there's one near Test Track. There's also the new Casey Jr one going in at MK, but it isn't opened yet (no idea when it will open, presumably within the next couple months). There's a little area near Jungle Cruise, too, but you can't really run, just get wet.

Pooh has a little playground in the queue now. I usually don't bother waiting in line and just let DS play around until he's done, but we do this early in the morning when there's almost no wait anyway.

And of course there's Tom Sawyer's Island - one big place to run around!

Hey Jana, well you know about the Laughing Place next to Splash, the water area in Epcot, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground and the Boneyard. In Magic Kingdom, Tom Sawyer Island is a great place for kids to explore and blow off some steam. There is a playground at the top of the hill on the Island. In Epcot, inside the Mission Space pavilion is Space Base. All kinds of fun tunnels and things for kids to do. There is also a hedge maze in the UK pavilion near where the band plays and in the Imagination pavilion, there are a bunch of interactive things to do for kids.

Have fun!

Pooh has a little playground in the queue now. I usually don't bother waiting in line and just let DS play around until he's done, but we do this early in the morning when there's almost no wait anyway.

Note that this is actually part of the interactive standby queue for Pooh, and people waiting in standby may not appreciate 'line cutting' for the play area when it's busy. On a side note, I wonder if they will ever open the Tigger bouncing area as part of the queue. Last I knew it was still closed, but visible from the standby queue. :confused3

Also noteworthy is that some play areas may have age limitations. IIRC, The Boneyard is limited to ages 12 and under. Not sure about the other areas.

-Kevin

In Magic Kingdom, Tom Sawyer Island is a great place for kids to explore and blow off some steam. There is a playground at the top of the hill on the Island.

Have fun!

Just be careful on Tom Sawyer Island. With all the paths and caves/tunnels it is VERY easy to lose track of your little ones. Don't let them explore ahead or it may be very hard to track them down.

We didn't know the layout of Tom Sawyer Island on our first trip in 2010 and our party ended up getting all split up and got pretty stressful finding everyong again.

Dan

Mission Space has a "mcDonald's PlayPlace" type space (but much nicer than the McD ones...
If you go in through the exit and walk through the gift shop toward where the people are co ing off the ride, you'll see it. It also has some seating for the grown ups and it's air conditioned. There's also a mission control space race game that you can join, and individual video games...

Burn off energy?? What He-Man of a kiddo has any energy to burn after a day of trekking across the park? (tongue firmly in cheek). What they need is a NAPPING area. Air conditioned...quiet...dark...maybe a few pillows...some vintage Mickey cartoons playing in the background...bliss!

Burn off energy?? What He-Man of a kiddo has any energy to burn after a day of trekking across the park? (tongue firmly in cheek). What they need is a NAPPING area. Air conditioned...quiet...dark...maybe a few pillows...some vintage Mickey cartoons playing in the background...bliss!

A napping area sounds great, but there is one major problem with your idea - it would be overrun by adults, and not leave any room for the tykes.

A nice, dark, AC oasis with cushy seats, and vintage toons would attract adults like bugs to a zapper - and I would be heading the charge there myself! :thumbsup2

I also second (or third) Tom Sawyer's island. My kids had so much fun there, and my wife and I had the chance to catch our breath for a while.

in AK near Kali River Rapids there's a few fountains that are at ground level or spurt out water (not a play area like Epcot but plenty of fun to play in).

A napping area sounds great, but there is one major problem with your idea - it would be overrun by adults, and not leave any room for the tykes.

A nice, dark, AC oasis with cushy seats, and vintage toons would attract adults like bugs to a zapper - and I would be heading the charge there myself! :thumbsup2

I also second (or third) Tom Sawyer's island. My kids had so much fun there, and my wife and I had the chance to catch our breath for a while.

I meant for the adults :lmao:

The playground at EPCOT is awesome. DD loved playing there. Lots of stuff to climb on and great adirondack chairs for parents (if you can get one). It had some great fake grass as well that was really nice.

in AK near Kali River Rapids there's a few fountains that are at ground level or spurt out water (not a play area like Epcot but plenty of fun to play in).

This is one of my kids' favorite places to play at WDW. They love that fountain! The other place we have to drag them away from is the jumping water fountain outside Captain EO at EPCoT. They will chase that water around for hours if we let them. It's off the beaten path a bit and usually there's no more than one other family over there, until a show lets out of course. Tons of room to run.

If you are talking about younger kids, the baby care centers at Epcot and AK are great. They Epcot one even has some toys. If you have older kids, this won't work, but its great for toddlers and preschoolers.

Also there is a walkway attached to innoventions (behind the character spot) that is pretty empty at all times. Its inside and air conditioned, there are some benches to sit on, and space to run around.

In AK, the show area where they used to have Pocahontas is a good place too, it is primarily used for stroller parking, but there is space to do a little running around.

I agree that it is sometimes tough to find spaces for younger kids just to run around. My DS is at the tough age where he is too little to be out walking around in the crowds, but does need time just out of the stroller to run around and stretch his legs. Finding spots where he won't be bothering other people and where I don't have to worry about him bolting and getting lost are important.

Not really playgrounds but the ride exit area of Test Track is pretty neat (and air conditioned) as is the ride exit of Spaceship Earth. We spent a good bit of time in each of those when we were there.

Burn off energy?? What He-Man of a kiddo has any energy to burn after a day of trekking across the park?

Hah, this was my first thought when I saw the title of the thread too! Burn off energy?

How about how to conserve energy! (especially those unreal hot days we had during our stay last Sept.)

Dan

Thank you for all the ideas! I guess instead of saying, "burn off energy," I should have said, "have space for some unstructured playtime." Maybe my kids are unique, but it's tough on them to walk from place to place, wait in lines, sit to eat, etc. without having some time to just PLAY. Last trip, I think they had more fun at the water play area in Epcot than they did on most rides. So these ideas are exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I'm making a list of all of them :)

The playground at EPCOT is awesome. DD loved playing there. Lots of stuff to climb on and great adirondack chairs for parents (if you can get one). It had some great fake grass as well that was really nice.

Where is this playground? This sounds great, but I definitely don't remember seeing it last trip and want to make sure I know where to look! Thanks!

Where is this playground? This sounds great, but I definitely don't remember seeing it last trip and want to make sure I know where to look! Thanks!

The playground at Epcot is only up for the Flower and Garden Festival (although I don't understand why they don't just leave it up year round). You can find it on the pathway to WS, after you leave Journey into Imagination, and head towards Canada. Its near where the roses are.

There are actually 3 different playgrounds set up during Flower and Garden at EPCOT, and they are even geared for different ages - DD loved the fairy garden one last year (when she was 2.) I was also going to mention the area behind the character spot - we let DD crawl around there when she was 10 months, and greatly in need of some time out of the stroller time.

Where in AK is the area where the Pocahantas show was? Is this in Camp Minnie Mickey?

Also, we've been in DHS a couple times when the Streets of America have been practically deserted and take DD out so she and DH can run around and explore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter