• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spoke to principal- I'm not a happy camper-- update post 155

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit, I haven't read the whole thread, but let me offer my $0.02.

What I did NOT see mentioned on the first 4 pages, or so, of this thread is the TRUANCY issue.

If your child has 10 days of (basically) unexcused absences, doesn't the school report this to the District who then assgns a Truancy Officer to the case?

(Here in Florida, 9 unexcused absences in a semester constitute FAILURE regardless of individual subject test scores. Let me stress UNEXCUSED. Legitimate reasons--doctor appointments, deaths in the family, court dates, etc.--are excused absences. I don't think vacations count as exscused absences, though.)

What could the penalty be as parents for your child being charged with truancy?

As I said, just my $0.02.

Call the school board and arrange for him to take the test before you go. It is absolutely ridiculous for them to expect him to take summer school after you had cleared the vacation with the previous principal. I wouldn't lie or anything, I would just insist that you are happy to make him available at any time prior to or after your vacation but that you have invested a lot of non-refundable finances in a vacation that was approved by the principal at the time of booking. I am thankful that where we live it is much easier to take kids out of school for vacation than most of you describe. Good luck!

I dont homeschool but I think that the American Adventure show in Epcot shows much more history than HoP. Its a great show and if you havent seen it, you must!! It shows things like the Revolutionary War, Civil War, the Great Depression, WWII, women getting the vote, the Native Americans, Teddy Roosevelt, some of the big inventions - telephone, sewing machine, electrocity, and theres a montage at the end that shows more recent events/cultural icons like Tiger Woods, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, 9-11, Clinton and Bush, Super Bowls, etc. It is FABULOUS and a must see every time we are there!

Well, it may be a nice movie, but one cannot learn American history in a 30 minute movie. So, I really think anyone that uses that as an educational tool is kind of kidding themselves.

Then again, the sanitized view of history isn't really to my liking.

I have 2 kids in school and I would love to go to Disney during Free Dining or another time of year when it's not very crowded, but that's not an option. The kids know that school comes first and vacations are taken in the summer. We love Disney as much as anyone else, but education is more important.

Hello all,
Any time education comes up, my ears perk up. Just wanted to comment briefly. For parents who home school your children, you have my respect. You know the difficulty of educating your child, but also do remember that public educators have problems which interfere with their ability in teaching sometimes. The previous poster who has been trying to defend public schools deserves some credit. Every year, public school teachers are asked to do more with less. We have integrated students with learning disabilities into regular classrooms and while on paper that is commendable, teachers are now expected to keep up with the IEPs of up to 30 individual students. IEPs are Individual Education Plans, which state how that child should be taught. When I was teaching, I had a student with severe ADHD placed in my class with a student with ADD. The student with ADD was fine if I kept the classroom quiet, but the ADHD student was prone to outburst which would then disrupt the ADD student. On one occasion, the behavior became problematic as the student was running around the room and their IEP stated that during outbursts I should ignore the behavior and continue teaching... while a student screams and runs through the room.

And I did this all for the lovely sum of around 20k a year.

In some places, public schools are called PS... which is appropriate, because they are usually treated as an afterthought.

Consider that every politician promises to help children and education, but most states are cutting back. Our governor in my home state promised to help children during his campaign, something his rival, he said, failed to do. Upon his election, the budget was cut. Now teachers are rationed on copies and staples... Hard to teach without hand outs.

It is not just my state either... even in Florida, they are having to cut class sizes in some colleges because they can't get enough funding to help students attend.

I left teaching because I could not help anymore. I was paying out of pocket for stuff, I had parents asking me why I couldn't do more, and the final straw came when a student who had not turned in any homework all year had his parents come with two days left and ask why I was failing him. I don't think I failed him... I think he did it on his own.

So, I respect the homeschool folks! You are invested parents! But I equally respect the public school teachers, because they deal sometimes with parents who are not invested, politicians who overtake school policy with no background in education, and a host of other myriad problems most only here about on the news.... believe me, the first time your a teacher and you find a weapon, it changes everything.

By the way... I still work in education... if anyone needs me, I work at a college now.

In the end, just remember, no one has it easy. Life doesn't work that way... it would be boring if it did. So, homeschoolers and public educators... remember, we're all in it for our future... we want our children to have it better than we did... and that seems less and less likely, so we stress.

Just remember, we're all on the same team when it comes to children... just sometimes we are limited by policy, funding, and bureaucracy.

(Not looking for a fight, just wanted to support education in general. Again, Life isn't easy, so we all need to remember that other people walk other paths.)

I'll shut up now... I'm long winded. :laughing:

:confused3

I hear this over and over and over on the DIS and i reallycan not believe that families truely can't schedule a vacation when your kids are ou t of school. I think it is simply an excuse to ge when you want to

And the outrage against schools and the attitude dominating posters that the Mom is right and the schools are always wrong is mind boggling:scared1:

My husband gets told WHEN he can go on vacation. So does my girlfriend. They are not allowed to take it during peak season(summer) or around holidays. So yes it does happen. Also even if my husband could take a summer vacation-he's from Ireland and would burst into flames in the Florida sun!:lmao: No really he can't handle that kind of heat.

As far as schools being right or wrong let me share 2 stories.

1) when I was little (3rd grade) we moved and my step-father brought me to enroll in school. They didn't have my records yet and a the principal of 15 years had me read from a book. I was VERY nervous and pointed to the words-so he deemed me a "POINTER"(I kid you not) and placed me, a straight A student in gifted programs, into a non-English speaking class! My mother had to come up to the school and basically lose her mind for him to switch me into a regular class. HE wanted to wait a few weeks!!:scared1:

2) When I registered my DD for kindergarden they gave her a hearing test as well as an aptitude test to see where she placed with other kids her age. The nurse comes out and asks me if she has any problems with her ears. I say "No, why?" She says "Because she is completely deaf in her right ear!" I am with that child 24/7 -if she was deaf I would know.So I paid the have her independently tested and guess what? Her hearing is fine. They wanted to list her as learning disabled-even though she came in above average for her age group in every category.

These two stories are not the only ones of this kind I have-schools are NOT always right-a mother knows her children better than anyone-especially someone who spends 7 hours of interrupted time shared with 20 something other kids a week. A parent is 24/7 and maybe for other people the teacher knows your child better-but not mine:thumbsup2

Well I for one hate the no child left behind program. It is the worst program I have ever heard for schools. For those who like it, what would you rather have? Funding and grants for the school or having your child learn everything as possible then just scratch the surface on one topic and then move on to the next topic? Im so glad they didnt have this whole stupid program when I was in school.

Well, it may be a nice movie, but one cannot learn American history in a 30 minute movie. So, I really think anyone that uses that as an educational tool is kind of kidding themselves.

Then again, the sanitized view of history isn't really to my liking.

Yes I know, I was just stating that it was a good movie for anyone who hasnt seen it and I thought it showed a lot more of a broad view of history that the HoP. (since someone brought that up as a way to teach their homeschooled child about history) I did not ever say that it should be used as an educational tool to "teach" American history. I would have to agree - anyone who used only the movie to teach history is kidding themselves, although I cant reasonably see anyone letting their child see the movie and saying "well thats it! You learned it all!!" I mean, really........

I am a teacher with a great amount of education. I am aware that the entire history of the US cannot be taught in 30 minutes.:teacher:

Well said! :thumbsup2 And what a lot of people keep seem to forgeting is the fact that most home schooled kids are actually get a better education then the kids in public schools. And yes it has been scientifically proven! Home schooling allows one on one with your kid or kids. They dont have to fight over 20 or 30 other students for the teachers attention. Plus they dont have to deal with pere pressure and being made fun of in school. Trust me, I was one of those unpopular kids and got made fun of all the time because my family was poor. That is something I dont want my kids (when we do have kids) to have to go through. While we are not poor, we arent rich either. But there are always bullies looking out to pick on someone. And now days with all the school shootings - I dont need to send my child to school and then hear theres a school shooting. Im gonna teach our kids at home. And no one will talk me out of it or tell me its wrong, because its not wrong.

adoptionmomma4 - dont be afraid to tell people you home school. Be proud of your position as a teacher and the role you play in your kids lives. Know the fact that your kids are getting a better education then they would have in a public school. Dont feel ashamed or worry about what people think. Be proud!

Also just wanna say that what is better way of learning? Sitting in a stuffy class room reading from a text book or be out and have one-on-one hands on experience? Chances are your child will love the one-on-one experience and it will stick to them better then reading from a text book.

Taken from an article:
Homeschool allows your child to learn one on one. There are no distractions, no time limits, no time wasted on daily transportation. You also have control over the materials your child goes over. There are of course different types of homeschooling. For those people who believe that homeschool deprives your child of valuable relationships with other children -- well, those people are wrong. There are tons of networks for kids that learn at home and they do the usual field trips, meetings and playdate times -- but that doesn't really pertain to this particular question. Because of the one on one attention and the fact that they can dedicate even more time to their learning they tend to go through materials faster and they leave with a better understanding of it.

Public Schools are overloaded with kids and each time they get more overloaded. They have tight budgets, not enough materials, outdated computers and programs and teachers that aren't sure they want to be there because of their low salaries. The personal attention goes to a few select students -- those who already stand out and excell at something on their own. Also, the standards for advanced in a Public School are much lower than te standards for 'advanced' in a private school setting.

Why did a thread about taking a child out of school for two weeks turn into a homeschool vs. public school debate?

My kids are homeschooled. I find your comments about homeschooled parents, children and the education they receive or provide at home rude and unnecessary. There are MANY opportunities for homeschoolers now than ever before. Home educated children are thriving and learning things that are not available to them in a traditional school setting. They are out testing public and private school students. They are getting full academic scholarships to college. They are going to Ivy League schools. Colleges are now
recruiting homeschoolers. It may not be better for every child, but please do not lump all of us in this stereotype you have. My kids are learning far more subject wise than they ever did in school. They also have the opportunity to learn things at home that they can not learn in school due to budget cuts (unless we pass the almost yearly levy). We visit museums, take art classes, music lessons, dance, play competitive sports, take classes at out local homeschool co-op taught by parents who are former teachers, mathematicians and some who are "unqualified" stay home moms who research and learn everything possible about a subject to teach it to our children. In fact my kids will spend tomorrow listening to Senator McCain speak in our state. They will also hear Senator Obama when he is here. What better way to learn about the upcoming election than to see it first hand. Sure we will have books to read and projects to complete to get the information. But hearing it first hand will make a much more lasting impression on them.

We are simply doing what is best for our children. Just like you feel you are doing for your students. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I do not feel superior. In fact I usually hide the fact that we homeschool so people do not stick an unwanted label on us. This is just all so upsetting to me. I honestly do not know one homeschool parent whom homeschools because it is the easy thing to do. We all want what is best for our children and feel that we are making the right choice for our children! Please extend the same courtesy you are asking us to give teachers. Homeschoolers are fighting a constant battle to prove we are “worthy” of educating out own children. Just as you are fighting to prove you are doing what you feel is best for your students. The system is flawed and I applaud you for working so hard. I just wish we could get the same respect.

Sorry really have to disagree here! DH is in the military. Its not like we can just pick a date and say we're going on vacation and go. Theres scheduling involved, theres others who might want to take those days off for vacation as well and if they put their dates in 1st, they get first priority. Oh and lets not forget deployments. There was a time DH got deployed from May to September. Say we wanted to take a vacation. It would have to be after he got home from his deployment. Cant be before because of all the stuff he has to take care of before he leaves. Actually it can be before, but we choose not to go before he leaves since he has so much to contend to. So if we had kids and DH gets deployed during the summer...take a guess when we are going on vacation....would I pull them out just as school began? No. Most likely it would be December. BEFORE Christmas break.

:confused3

I hear this over and over and over on the DIS and i reallycan not believe that families truely can't schedule a vacation when your kids are ou t of school. I think it is simply an excuse to ge when you want to

And the outrage against schools and the attitude dominating posters that the Mom is right and the schools are always wrong is mind boggling:scared1:

As I am reading page after page of these responses, I am guessing that OP didn't realize that her post would wind up as a debate on homeschool vs. public school. :confused3

I truly hope that with the light of day, OP has been able to work out something with the school. Yes, the conditions are less than ideal and while I wouldn't pull my child from school for two weeks, I am sure that OP had thought all of this through when originally planning it over a year ago.

Go on your trip and work With the school in finding some sort of livable compromise. Anger and reactionary responses are never as useful as approaching the problem from a position of compromise.

Again, I hope things are working out.

Well said! :thumbsup2 And what a lot of people keep seem to forgeting is the fact that most home schooled kids are actually get a better education then the kids in public schools. And yes it has been scientifically proven! Home schooling allows one on one with your kid or kids. They dont have to fight over 20 or 30 other students for the teachers attention. Plus they dont have to deal with pere pressure and being made fun of in school. Trust me, I was one of those unpopular kids and got made fun of all the time because my family was poor. That is something I dont want my kids (when we do have kids) to have to go through. While we are not poor, we arent rich either. But there are always bullies looking out to pick on someone. And now days with all the school shootings - I dont need to send my child to school and then hear theres a school shooting. Im gonna teach our kids at home. And no one will talk me out of it or tell me its wrong, because its not wrong.

adoptionmomma4 - dont be afraid to tell people you home school. Be proud of your position as a teacher and the role you play in your kids lives. Know the fact that your kids are getting a better education then they would have in a public school. Dont feel ashamed or worry about what people think. Be proud!

Also just wanna say that what is better way of learning? Sitting in a stuffy class room reading from a text book or be out and have one-on-one hands on experience? Chances are your child will love the one-on-one experience and it will stick to them better then reading from a text book.

Taken from an article:
Homeschool allows your child to learn one on one. There are no distractions, no time limits, no time wasted on daily transportation. You also have control over the materials your child goes over. There are of course different types of homeschooling. For those people who believe that homeschool deprives your child of valuable relationships with other children -- well, those people are wrong. There are tons of networks for kids that learn at home and they do the usual field trips, meetings and playdate times -- but that doesn't really pertain to this particular question. Because of the one on one attention and the fact that they can dedicate even more time to their learning they tend to go through materials faster and they leave with a better understanding of it.

Public Schools are overloaded with kids and each time they get more overloaded. They have tight budgets, not enough materials, outdated computers and programs and teachers that aren't sure they want to be there because of their low salaries. The personal attention goes to a few select students -- those who already stand out and excell at something on their own. Also, the standards for advanced in a Public School are much lower than te standards for 'advanced' in a private school setting.

Did the article come from a homeschool magazine? Probably a little bit of a onesided opinion, right? I teach my students to evaluate even scientific information with a consideration for the potential bias of the source. For instance it a debate about offshore drilling an oil company publication is not an unbiased source of information.

well i take both my dds out of school every year for disney(dd4th,dd1st). My husband doesn't get to pick what week he gets his vacation he takes what he's told!!
my daughter is in 4th grade this year (and has been in gifted and talented since 1st) her teachers are wonderful and understanding and supportive.i always try to schedule for when she won't miss anything important.and i know some teachers on here will say she misses class instruction HA!! i've been class mom for 5 yrs. now (i now bounce between dds classes)and as far as i'm concerned(and witnessed)class instruction is" here read this, do this"!!there is no student teacher relationship anymore which is sad but true...when did my child go from being a student to be a test score!!We don't get any praise as parents when our children get straight a's or pass a test.(the teachers get that)but let them get a less than flattering grade and here come the "you must not be doing your job a a parent"notes and by the way lately it seems i spend more time at home doing the teachers jobs than they did at school in the 1st place.and i've also been unforutnate enough to learn 1st hand how short life can be and that we are not promised tomorrow.sometimes momories all we have in the end what you rather have a picture of you wonderful child with mickey or the knowledge that your child went to school to take a test that didn't affect him in the
least..GO MAKE MEMORIES THEY WILL LAST FOREVER..(TRUST ME ON THIS) and for all of who will flame me and the op i only hope you never have to personally find out how precious those (not as important as school memories can be!) so in conclusion
1.)I'm very glad i've never had to deal with teachers who are as high and mighty and just down right rude:snooty: as some i've seen on this board!!!
2.)i would take them to disney and not feel guily at all!
3.)ignore all the ugliness that has already been posted here ENJOY YOUR FAMILY!!:flower3:
4.)continue teachinf them family is just as important as ANYTHING else!!:hug:

well i take both my dds out of school every year for disney(dd4th,dd1st). My husband doesn't get to pick what week he gets his vacation he takes what he's told!!
my daughter is in 4th grade this year (and has been in gifted and talented since 1st) her teachers are wonderful and understanding and supportive.i always try to schedule for when she won't miss anything important.and i know some teachers on here will say she misses class instruction HA!! i've been class mom for 5 yrs. now (i now bounce between dds classes)and as far as i'm concerned(and witnessed)class instruction is" here read this, do this"!!there is no student teacher relationship anymore which is sad but true...when did my child go from being a student to be a test score!!We don't get any praise as parents when our children get straight a's or pass a test.(the teachers get that)but let them get a less than flattering grade and here come the "you must not be doing your job a a parent"notes and by the way lately it seems i spend more time at home doing the teachers jobs than they did at school in the 1st place.and i've also been unforutnate enough to learn 1st hand how short life can be and that we are not promised tomorrow.sometimes momories all we have in the end what you rather have a picture of you wonderful child with mickey or the knowledge that your child went to school to take a test that didn't affect him in the
least..GO MAKE MEMORIES THEY WILL LAST FOREVER..(TRUST ME ON THIS) and for all of who will flame me and the op i only hope you never have to personally find out how precious those (not as important as school memories can be!) so in conclusion
1.)I'm very glad i've never had to deal with teachers who are as high and mighty and just down right rude:snooty: as some i've seen on this board!!!
2.)i would take them to disney and not feel guily at all!
3.)ignore all the ugliness that has already been posted here ENJOY YOUR FAMILY!!:flower3:
4.)continue teachinf them family is just as important as ANYTHING else!!:hug:

VERY WELL SAID!

Nope..it came from WikiAnswers. Do a search online..you will find many more websites bascially say the same thing. So no its not onsided opinion.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_home_schooled_kids_considered_smarter_than_public_school_kids

Wiki anything is not a valid source. Anybody can post anything there with no credential or validation. No teacher I know accepts wikkianswers or wikkipedia as avalid source for anything.
here are the credentials for the person writing this particular article

*Please note that I am not a doctor nor a trained advise professional of any sort. I can only give you advise based on personal experience and logic. It is your choice weather to take it or leave it. This is mostly for entertainment purposes and the fact that I like to help people whenever possible. I am not nor will I be responsible for anything you as a person choose to do or say. With that understood we can continue.*

And what a lot of people keep seem to forgeting is the fact that most home schooled kids are actually get a better education then the kids in public schools. And yes it has been scientifically proven!

"Scientifically proven?" Link please? Thank you! :)

Wiki anything is not a valid source. Anybody can post anything there with no credential or validation. No teacher I know accepts wikkianswers or wikkipedia as avalid source for anything.
here are the credentials for the person writing this particular article

*Please note that I am not a doctor nor a trained advise professional of any sort. I can only give you advise based on personal experience and logic. It is your choice weather to take it or leave it. This is mostly for entertainment purposes and the fact that I like to help people whenever possible. I am not nor will I be responsible for anything you as a person choose to do or say. With that understood we can continue.*

Agreed- people, please do not let your homeschooled kids or traditionally schooled kids think wikipedia is always valid. It can be, but not always. It is just the nature of the thing. :)

It doesnt matter where it came from or who answers it. What they speak of is the truth. I agree to the article as that is exactly what I have always thought and believed in. IMHO, you teachers need to open your eyeballs and realize theres more then 1 way to receive a proper education. My sister is to a teacher for a public school. But at least she can admit and agree that home schooling is the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter