spoiler warning. .. Downton Abby

PoohJen

<font color=green>Willing to share a Mickey Bar?<b
Is anyone else pissed off???? So tired of these kinds of plot turns.

I know there's another downton thread but just wanted to vent on season closer and didn't want to spoil for viewers not up to this one.
Grrrr. Not sad... mad.

I watched it online after it aired in the UK, so it wasn't a surprise this time, but I still hoped for a different ending! In defense of Julian Fellowes, Dan Stevens did not want to return so there had to be some plot twist. I just wish it had not been such a permanent one.

Of course we all know things get boring if everyone is too happy, but I did enjoy the 10 minutes or so of bliss at Downton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...334/Dan-Stevens-Why-I-left-Downton-Abbey.html

Lol...yes, I enjoyed last week's happy ending for once. And I did read tonight that the actor hadn't renewed his contract, so I can better accept the rationale for the storyline.
Still, phooey. Wasn't Sybil enough for us to handle in one season?

I, too, watched it a couple of months ago but I had read an article in the fall (I think?) that the actor wanted out and they were having to kill him off anyways. It wasn't a surprise, but I just kept waiting and guessing when "it" would happen, LOL!

I resent that actor for subjecting us to it. Totally his fault!

Lol, agreed. Not like he can't do other projects while still giving us some Matthew.

Okay, I've given this a full 15 minutes of thought and have decided they should've just replaced the actor. There's plenty of blonde haired, blue eyed playboy types out there.

PoohJen said:
Okay, I've given this a full 15 minutes of thought and have decided they should've just replaced the actor. There's plenty of blonde haired, blue eyed playboy types out there.

I agree! Why didn't they replace the actor?

Boooo!, Dan Stevens! Completely his fault

PoohJen said:

He could have been disfigured in the accident and Cousin Isobel and Dr. Clarkson could have done cutting edge plastic surgery at the village hospital. Voila! We could have had a new and improved Matthew. LOL

Why did they not think to ask us?

I knew Dan Stevens was leaving at the end of this season, and since he had no reason to leave Mary, I figured he'd die some way.

Actually, I was on tenterhooks all during the hunting scenes; I could just see a hunting accident, with various scenarios, depending on who actually shot him. I personally would have liked for someone to shoot the bagpiper!

Queen Colleen

Lol, all! I am still frustrated by this, rather than saddened as the writers intended. I imagine Mary will be hardened and bitter for some time. Oh why couldn't it have been Thomas or O'Brien?!

I agree I would rather have seen them kill off Thomas or O'Brien. I can't stand either one of them.

But I did kind of lift my hatred of Thomas a bit in last night's episode when he got his butt kicked trying to save someone else. That was a kind act and totally out of character for him.

I like it that Mr. Bates has something on O'Brien but he doesn't even know what he has on her. He doesn't know what "her ladyship's soap" even means. I hope something comes of that.

I also agree that they should have found another actor to replace Matthew because he was a vital character to the story line and having 2 deaths in the same season was just too much. I am curious if they can maintain DOwnton's financial status without Matthew around to guide them.

I also agree that they should have found another actor to replace Matthew because he was a vital character to the story line and having 2 deaths in the same season was just too much. I am curious if they can maintain DOwnton's financial status without Matthew around to guide them.

I wonder if they won't throw Tom Branson into the role of saving the estate now. They have played up the whole he knows farming thing.

He could have been disfigured in the accident and Cousin Isobel and Dr. Clarkson could have done cutting edge plastic surgery at the village hospital. Voila! We could have had a new and improved Matthew. LOL

Why did they not think to ask us?

Perfect! :thumbsup2:lmao:

Unlike some of you I had NO CLUE this was coming! And I am plain irritated instead of sad! Seems like a cheesy move, just a lazy way to turn the plot. More like a soap opera kind of thing.

I have really enjoyed this series but I am done! I watch TV to escape a little bit, I do not need to get invested in these characters only to have my heart ripped out. Give me escapist tv! :happytv:

This season was, what, a month long? What's up with that? And the new season doesn't even start until 2014...I'm thinking there are a lot of people who will have lost interest by then...

Just watched the season 4 finale with DD. We had heard that Dan Stevens confirmed he would not be in Season 4 after the finale aired in the UK, so we kinda knew something was going to happen to Matthew, and I had seen/read various rumors about a car accident, so we sort of figured it out.

As for the facial disfigurement scheme, that's already been done in this series - remember the fake Patrick from Canada?

Just watched the season 4 finale with DD. We had heard that Dan Stevens confirmed he would not be in Season 4 after the finale aired in the UK, so we kinda knew something was going to happen to Matthew, and I had seen/read various rumors about a car accident, so we sort of figured it out.

As for the facial disfigurement scheme, that's already been done in this series - remember the fake Patrick from Canada?

Ah...but if he is the real Patrick, that would be interesting now that Matthew is dead.

I read in an interview with Julian Fellows, that British actors only sign on to TV series for 3 years MAX and then they have to decide if they (the actor) wants to continue. British actors like to do different type of projects often and like the freedom given with 3 year contracts. They sometimes get bored of the work and move onto other projects after their 3 years are up. Matthew and Sybil's portrayers both decided not to renew, hence why they were killed off.........

I hadn't read about the actor not renewing the contract his contract before I watched the show, so I had no idea.
But as soon as I saw him driving so happily on the road with is hair blowing in the wind. I knew something was up :sad:

I thought we had enough tragedy this season.:rolleyes2

They did have a son, and if you look in the comment trail, others take the author to task for the screw up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter