Split stays: Annoying or Awesome?

I agree a key aspect to making it owrk is packing the right way.

Absolutely.

We kept packing wrong, or needing to pack differently for different parts of our recent trip, and that added time.

I've previously been solidly in the AWESOME camp, but this last trip was seriously annoying.

We originally had MIL traveling with us and she needed to get in early, so we got in late on the 5th, stayed at POR until the 7th. Went to the 3 night Bahamas cruise. Went to Kidani for 3 nights. SSR for 3 nights. VWL for 3 nights.

I knew this was going to be challenging, and it was even more so because we were all just exhausted. Still haven't worked out the whole jet lag thing, sadly. Then just as the relaxing part of the land stay should have kicked in at SSR, we had a room apparently coated in mildew, and had to move one more time. (room 1135...if anyone is given it and it is still mildewy, I've gone a bone to pick with the housekeeping manager!) The stress of that, our exhaustion, the fact that family had arrived that night so it wasn't 3 people moving but 7, and not to mention the physical and mental effects mildew and mold has on me (it really messed me up), just messed us up. And THEN we had repeated and continual issues with the checkin process, being part of a glitch, and then it taking two hours and two managers (one of whom was snotty) to put charging on our cards (so that we could access the compensation they had put on our account, of all ridiculous things to have a problem with).

Two moves is our max going forward. We'll pay the expensive room in cash or points just for the sheer luxury of waking up where we will be. It was too many.

My one question is regarding our tickets. We have not yet purchased them yet (our reservations are room only). I was thinking of getting the tickets from Undercover Tourist (or checking into whether I can get discounted tickets through AAA). My understanding from these boards is that I can have the UT or AAA tickets added to my KTTW card at POFQ when we check in. Can we then have the remaining days transfered to our new KTTW card at BCV, so we don't have double the cards to keep track of. Can anyone tell me if we are likely to have any ticket problems in these circumstances. Are we better off getting them directly through Disney? Any impact of the split on tickets is appreciated.

If I were in that situation, I would just keep the tickets off of the keycard. But that's just me. So far I've only had APs (or tickets about to become an AP) at WDW which can't be on the KTTW anyway, and it's not done at DLR where I'm even more used to things, so for me it's not a big deal to have them separate.

We like them as long as the trip's long enough. We usually stay 9-10 days and so we'll often split up 50/50 between 2 resorts. Our last trip was BWV/BLT and we liked that combination so much we're doing the same thing but going to BLT first this time around. I was torn between BCV or BWV but when we were able to get a boardwalk view there was no question which I'd pick. When at Boardwalk we usually find we really wind down and relax and aren't as rushed to hit the parks, spend quite a bit of time just sitting on our balcony people watching and watching the boats in the lake.

Granted we didn't truly appreciate taking the time to relax at WDW until we bought DVC... we've really learned to appreciate the resorts itself.

I guess you could say that we are doing a split stay for the 1st time this June. We decided to fly in a night earlier, so we booked a room only reservation at AoA before we transfer over to AKV for the remainder of your trip.

One thing I am still up in the air about it whether or not to have Disney transfer our luggage for us or to take a cab.

On the day of the switch, the plan is to spend the morning at AoA exploring and swimming, then around lunch time heading over to AKV Kidani, check in, grab some lunch and swim till around 4p then head out to MK for EMH.

I have done split stays two times, and both times it worked because of our plan for that trip. Both times we moved on the day we went to Universal and got a rental car for that day. It was nice because we were able to pick up groceries for the second part of the trip. On both occaisions it was 2 nights at the first location (both times AKV), and then moved to the new spot. But we don't do packages so no concerns on that front.

I can't see doing a split stay if I'm not leaving property during the trip.

Probably not a big deal if you are not a heavy packer. For people like me who take everything but the kitchen sink on vacation, it's a pain packing it all up for the move. Disney did a great job of moving our things, though, it was very easy in that regard. Some day I will learn to pack light...

Didn't get to read all the replies so I apologize if I am repeating, but IMO, split stays are only worth it if you are staying 9 or 10 days or longer. Personally, I like to check-in, unpack, and then I can fully unwind and relax the rest of the time. If I had to worry about "taking care of business" mid-trip, I'd feel as though I'd be wasting time. However, if I was there for 10 days, it would be a nice change of pace to prevent boredom, and the time wasted at front desks would be negligible.

If I have 9 or 10 days or longer, there's a chance I'll be moving not once, but twice. Love the variety!

That said, I've gotten pretty good at packing for multiple stays. Even when I don't pack light, I'll pack for certain days in different suitcases and/or packing cubes and envelopes, so I rarely need to pack and unpack the whole thing and it's pretty quick and easy. I really don't stress much about the packing between resorts - I don't care about making sure each bag is under 50 pounds or where the liquids are like airline packing, and I'm mostly packing dirty clothes at that point so fewer worries about wrinkles. Extra bag for laundry or groceries? No problem, no excess luggage fees. It's relatively painless... but I'm not travelling with small kids these days, so that probably makes a difference too.

We are trying a split stay for the first time in April. 4 nights POFQ followed by 4 nights BCV. The plan is to spend the day there and walk over to the BCV in the early evening, check in, have the bags sent to the room and explore the resort.

My one question is regarding our tickets. We have not yet purchased them yet (our reservations are room only). I was thinking of getting the tickets from Undercover Tourist (or checking into whether I can get discounted tickets through AAA). My understanding from these boards is that I can have the UT or AAA tickets added to my KTTW card at POFQ when we check in.

By April, the new RFID system will likely be in place. Probably you will be getting a wristband, instead of the old style cards. it's hard to get good info on exactly how the new system works. The info I've seen is kind of spotty.

There may be advantages to keep ing your tickets individual- and staynig on the old FP sytem- and there will likely be advantages to getting on the new system. One advantage of having a wristband over a paper ticket is that you'll be able to use the new park entry system - which is already being used.
Right now, the guests with paper tickes are waiting longer to get into the parks because it takes longer to scan the tickets.

If you use Disney's bag transfer your bags should be at your room by 4pm. So I'm not sure how you define 'early evening' but your bags should be at the resort by then, which means you would not need to carry a day bag in the parks. It also depends what else you have in the day bag, you know best. Just wanted to elt you know the likley timeline.

I have never done this, but I see no reason that it would be a hassle. Splitstays are a fun way to keep vacations interesting and exciting! Have a great trip!

Great question! We will be at CBR for 10 days in May and I was contemplating a split stay at another Mod. This will be our first time at a Mod and I know my boys will love the pool at CBR. If we split I'm afraid we will spend the remainder of the stay comparing, yet I really want to try all the resorts lol. Oh well I guess it gives me an excuse to go back again!

Just e-mailed by travel agent about a possible split stay between WL and AKL because my husband wants to add a day to our vacation. We have a package booked so this might be a hassle. Would love to stay at both resorts but he wants the extra day just to relax and not feel rushed. Will wait for her response.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter