split stay???

kitkat4622

DIS Veteran
so I plan on booking my 2019 trip when packages are released on June 19th for possibly 9 nights. I am thinking of doing a split stay 5 nights at POP and 4 nights at a moderate here are my questions:
1. do I have to make 2 reservations? one at POP and one at the moderate that I choose?
2. can I purchase tickets for the whole stay or do they have to be booked as 2 separate purchases because of the 2 different resorts?

any information would be greatly appreciated on how to actually book a split stay and how well that has worked out for you.

I know the original resort will transfer our luggage to the new resort, is that correct?

I recently did a lot of reading up on this cause I have a split stay coming up. Yes Disney will transfer your luggage. You can buy your ticket together and you’re actually better off with one ticket. Either buy your ticket totally separately or do it as a package with the first half of your stay. That way when FP time comes you will be able to make all of your FP at once. It is two separate reservations and the biggest downside is that you need to book dining for each portion of the trip separately.

so I plan on booking my 2019 trip when packages are released on June 19th for possibly 9 nights. I am thinking of doing a split stay 5 nights at POP and 4 nights at a moderate here are my questions:
1. do I have to make 2 reservations? one at POP and one at the moderate that I choose?
2. can I purchase tickets for the whole stay or do they have to be booked as 2 separate purchases because of the 2 different resorts?

any information would be greatly appreciated on how to actually book a split stay and how well that has worked out for you.

I know the original resort will transfer our luggage to the new resort, is that correct?

Yes, you will need to make two reservations. Disney does not recognize split stays as a continuous stay.

From a cost perspective, you should not purchase two sets of tickets. You can either purchase the tickets you need for your entire stay as part of your first stay's package or purchase tickets completely separately.

this would not be an issue as we are not doing the dining plan this time

Because of this you can book one of two ways:

1) Book resort #1 with tickets to cover your entire stay, book resort #2 as room-only
or
2) Book two room-only reservations and purchase your tickets separately. The only downside to this is once you purchase tickets (or in the case of some third-party resellers once you purchase and link to MDE), they are non-refundable.

My biggest price of advice is to use a travel agent! We did a split stay and had issues with our magic bands and having everything link correctly. We heard this sometimes happens with split stays. It was fantastic to have travel agent get it all sorted out while we headed to the pool! TA's are free and get the same price.

plus a TA can answer any questions that you have while planning!

this would not be an issue as we are not doing the dining plan this time

I think they meant you would need to make your dining reservations in two chunks. You’ll be able to do your first stay’s adrs at 180 days out from checkin, up to the last day of that stay. Then the adrs for the second stay at 180 from that checkin.

Even without the dining plan many people eat at table service restaurants.

My biggest price of advice is to use a travel agent! We did a split stay and had issues with our magic bands and having everything link correctly. We heard this sometimes happens with split stays. It was fantastic to have travel agent get it all sorted out while we headed to the pool! TA's are free and get the same price.

plus a TA can answer any questions that you have while planning!

Not sure what the TA did once you were onsite, but things are easily enough worked out.

Glitches with bands can happen.

just finished a split, we wanted to try animal kingdom lodge but not for a full week, seemed seemless. As long as you link all your plans on my Disney experience it is on your magic bands, you will get two. Just order tickets with one of the hotel bookings

just finished a split, we wanted to try animal kingdom lodge but not for a full week, seemed seemless. As long as you link all your plans on my Disney experience it is on your magic bands, you will get two. Just order tickets with one of the hotel bookings

Were you able to book ALL FPs for length of stay at the beginning of your 60 day window for initial check in? Or do did you have to do 2 separate FP windows?

Were you able to book ALL FPs for length of stay at the beginning of your 60 day window for initial check in? Or do did you have to do 2 separate FP windows?
On a Split stay at three different Disney World resorts I was able to make all my fast passes just as if I had been staying at one resort for the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter