Split Stay ?

MomtoBJSF

Mouseketeer
a month ago we booked a unexpected trip for the weekend of Thanksgiving , our home resort is VWL, but at the time they had nothing, so we booked SSR, but we've been able to get the first 3 days at VWL 23rd-25th, and then the 26th-28th at BLT Theme park view. this will be our first time staying at BLT, DH is really excited about that, but now I'm wondering if it's ridiculous to do a split stay for just a 5 day stay?, I'm thinking the hassle of packing up again will be silly with 3 kids.

We do split stays all the time. I usually just pack in a way that puts what we want for the first part of the stay in one suitcase and then what we need in a 2nd suitcase. This way, we unpack the first one and as we use things up, they go right back in. The 2nd one stays packed and in the closet so it really never feels like that big of a deal.

I have even gone as far as buying and packing two sets of toothbrushes, shampoo, etc. so I don't even have to repack those things. On our transfer day, we just check out at check out time and head over to Downtown Disney, have lunch, and shop. By the time we are done with all of that and get to the new resort, it is almost check in time. If the room is not ready, we hang out by the pool until it is.

Good luck!

If you haven't had an opportunity to stay at one of the resorts and would like to then it's one of those nice things about split stays. I personally do not like to move once our family gets there, and if we can stay at one resort, one resort it is. SSR is a nice, relaxing resort. But it seems as though you are excited about BLT. Enjoy your time down there and have a nice Thanksgiving.

I don't like the idea of moving either, But my hubby seems to really want to do so, I think he may have a case of addonitis, so this might be his way of wanting to feel out BLT before adding on, so I'll just suck it up, and let him have his wish, the kids wont care too much.

Oh no! I have a case of addonitis so I know how that feels. Added on BLT after staying there. We liked going to the TOTWL during our stay. Hope you like it!

My advice - since you'll have multiple bags anyway with that many people and that many days, try to pack bags by stay - a set of bags for the one resort and a set for the other. Of course there will be some overlap, but minimize that.

The day you switch, here is what I do.

If there are at least 2 adults, send one in the morning to the new resort to check in. If the resort was not full the night before, there might even be a room ready. The other adult calls Bell Services and gives them the bags.

Then meet up at the park closest to the second resort. Spend the day there and go to the new room in the afternoon when it is definitely ready and when the bags will be there.

For a 5 night stay, I wouldn't move, 10 nights, maybe. You will have years to visit all of the resorts they aren't going anywhere and moving will eat up one of your days.

:earsboy: Bill

We split our stay and we found it very smooth. We do eleven days split between three resorts. We just let them transfer the luggage and checked in when we were done at the parks that afternoon.

So, what I meant to say is we found splitting worth it and not a big hassle so if you are excited about BLT I'd go ahead and do the split. It took us very little extra time, but the change if scenery kept everything fresh - but maybe we were lucky it wasn't inconvenient.

After much debate, we have decided to stay at VWL, we will be moving within the resort, but not a split stay, it will make for an easier 5 days.

After much debate, we have decided to stay at VWL, we will be moving within the resort, but not a split stay, it will make for an easier 5 days.

I just want to make sure you understand that moving within a resort isn't that much different than moving to another resort. It still involves packing, putting your bags somewhere (in the car or with bell services), and doing something for the hours you are "homeless". The only thing it alleviates is the travel between resorts.

We are really into split stays. OK, DH has been reluctant, but he, too, likes to see MANY resorts, so this time he's being less of a stick in the mud about it. And because we've done some major split stays (and most people would freak about our February trip, LOL), we know that moving inside of a resort is almost the same as changing resorts.

So if you're already moving...if someone would really rather check out a different resort, you really might consider doing that.

DH is really excited about that...

That excitement is worth keeping.

I agree - moving from say the VWL to WL, or even one unit to another will require packing one morning, getting Bell Services, checking out, checking in and unpacking.

You'll want to try to check in as early that day as possible - if you can snag a free room it;ll make things much easier.

In the worst case, your bags will be in storage from 11AM-4PM, so just plan accordingly!

In the best case, the new room will be ready that morning and close enough to just stroll over to with your bags - but don't count on that either!

We are doing a split stay in Jan. 2 nights at BLT and the next 5 at SSR. Not looking forward to the split stay/moving day but really, really looking forward to BLT studio since we have never stayed in one. Wish it was longer than 2 nghts.

I am not against the split stay at all, in fact I look forward to doing a split stay on our next trip, I just think this trip being just 5 days, it will be too much for us, and also we have a character Breakfast at 8;15 am the day we are supposed to go check in at BLT at CTR, my DD would have a heart attack if we missed that ADR:rotfl:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter