Split Stay - US and Disney

catfan98

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we are coming back to Disney and US next year (April 2017), and I am pondering a split stay between Disney and US. Last year we stayed offsite for our entire vacation and drove to the parks each day. This time we have decided we want the onsite experience. We will be going to Disney the first half of the trip (4-5 days) and going to US/UIOA for the last 2 or 3 days. We will have our own car, so we can drive to the parks if we stay put at Disney or we will have the transport to move our things if we switch. Is it worth it to split stay? Stay at Disney the first half of the trip and move to a US hotel for the second half? If so, would you recommend Hard Rock or one of the Portofinos? If we do a split stay, I'm pretty sure we will want to stay in one of the hotels that offer the express pass. I think our kids (teens) would enjoy the hotels at US and Citywalk, and it would break up the vacation that way...I'm just worried about packing up and moving mid vacation. Thoughts?

Sounds worth it to me! Packing up one time doesn't seem like a big deal, esp since you don't have little kids.

I would do stay onsite at universal..The deluxe resorts are Royal Pacific, Hard rock, and Portofino bay..the express pass and proximity to the parks spoils you or anything else

Everyone is correct. On my last trip, we flew in a day early to stay at universal and then went to Disney after

Split stay is certainly worth it to get the express pass included in your on site hotel stay. You might consider Hard Rock..Your teenagers will probably love it and the advantage is it is the closest on site resort walking distance to the parks. Also, there is a sink/vanity outside the bathroom in addition to the one inside the bathroom which helps to get out in the motnings. HARD Rock was our choice for this May..we are doing a split stay with Disney too...In fact, most vacas we choose to do split stays..get to experience different resorts. Enjoy!:goodvibes:thumbsup2

We split our stay a few years ago, it was wonderful. We've only stayed at Royal Pacific, but visited the other resorts. We really enjoyed RPR and the beautiful walk to the parks, but Hard Rock is really close to the Studios. We didn't care for the atmosphere at Portofino and seemed farther away. You have to take bus from Cabana Bay.

We've done it every year for the last 10 years. Usually Disney 5 nights, Universal 3 nights. We wouldn't go to Universal without staying on property -express pass is a must. Usually Portofino - we lke some quiet after the chaos of the parks. But we've stayed at Royal Pacific and Hard Rock and love them all. Easy to get to parks from all three by either boat or walk. We're leaving today for 2 nights at Disney and 7 nights at Portofino!

A split stay is definitely the way to go for the early entry and the express pass. With teens I would recommend the HRH as well.

Thank you, everyone. We have decided we are definitely doing a split stay. The kids love US, so they are ecstatic.

If at all possible do the on-site stay/Universal portion of your stay after enjoying WDW.

Otherwise, you will greatly miss the FOTL perk when you find yourself standing in many long lines later in the week.

HRH would likely be a big hit with your teens

We are doing it in April. My daughter's special needs cheer team won a bid to Worlds at Disney. But I absolutely had to have my Universal fix. So we are flying in a couple of days early and staying at the RPR. Tony is picking us up from the airport and then will return to take us and a couple other athletes/families from the team over to Disney for the competition. It is totally worth the small inconvenience of having to pack up and move to another hotel.

Good choice, OP! We've done split stays before and will be again in May 2017 - 5 nights Swan/5 nights Portofino. Even if it feels like a bit of a hassle to pack up and move, the reward is sooooo worth it. Once you get resettled in....Ahhhhhhh, everything at the Universal resorts, parks and restaurants are so relaxing and fun to immerse yourself in versus driving over from WDW everyday and treating Universal as if it's just a day excursion.

Good choice, OP! We've done split stays before and will be again in May 2017 - 5 nights Swan/5 nights Portofino. Even if it feels like a bit of a hassle to pack up and move, the reward is sooooo worth it. Once you get resettled in....Ahhhhhhh, everything at the Universal resorts, parks and restaurants are so relaxing and fun to immerse yourself in versus driving over from WDW everyday and treating Universal as if it's just a day excursion.

We're excited about the decision. We haven't decided how many days to allot to each destination yet, we have 8 nights and 7 days total, not including traveling time. We probably won't do the Disney parks more than one day each, as the rides don't hold the excitement factor for the kids that the US ones do. And my daughter could stay in HP all day! When we were staying exclusively at Disney, we were only going to go to US for 2 of the 7 days. But now, I'm thinking 3 days there and 4 at Disney. Idk, I'm glad I have plenty of time to plan, lol.

i can not imagine going to orlando and not doing both parks.
i enjoy the motherland and the darkside and could not pass up either one of them, even if i only had one day, i would still do a split stay.

you will have your own car.
very easy to pack it up and relocate to another part of town.

We did a split stay our first trip, and plan to do it next time as well. I couldn't go to Orlando and not go to both, plus each has their own onsite perks and unique hotels. We stay at CBBR usually though so no express pass. We definitely thought Portofino Bay looked cool when we went to dinner there.

We're doing a split stay in fall as well and chose the PBH. We chose it for DH and I as we honeymooned in Italy and thought we'd enjoy the vibe. If the kids were older (in your teen territory), I'd probably lean more towards HRH both for attractiveness to the teens and proximity to the parks. Though honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Enjoy your trip!

We've done several split stays, we always did disney first and then moved to portofino. We have stayed at all universal resorts, they are all wonderful. I have a teenage son and he didn't care much for Hardrock. He loved RPR but portofino is his favorite. It might be because of the food.

We also always do split stay but start at universal due to the hour change( travelling from uk) and find it a more relaxed laid back start to the holiday. We do miss the Folp once at Disney! This year we have 5 nights at universal and then 12 at Disney. Can't wait!

We're probably doing the oddest 'split stay'; we'll be in Orlando for two weeks but one night will be spent at Universal as I don't won't to go forth and back for our two days at Universal. Weridly enough it still worked out cheaper this way - there was a lot of maths involved though ;) But yeah would never miss out on US/IoA!

When we lived in Orlando I worked for Universal and my wife was a CM, so we need to hit both properties when we return... We are staying 3 nights at PBH and 6 at POR this August. Definitely love the perks of the onsites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter