Split Stay Transfer Logistics

Tiresius

Mouseketeer
I apologize for asking what I know is a repeated question. I did attempt to search for the answer, but found nothing on the first several pages of results, so hopefully this wasn't answered too recently.

How do you manage a transfer from one resort to another for a split stay, relying on Disney transportation, no rental or other car? We are doing a triple split, staying at POFQ, ALK, and ASSp (don't ask why...) and will thus need to move twice. I am not worried about moving ourselves, as the intricacies of bus transfers at parks is something I am familiar with. However, what about our luggage? I know that others have mentioned that luggage can be transfered between resorts, but how does this work? Does it take forever to transfer? Is it really safe to hand over all of our luggage (including carry-on items) and know we will get all of it transfered to another hotel in a reasonable time? I don't want to have to lug all of our stuff around to put in park lockers during the day (I'm not sure the bag checkers at the parks would love three adults come in with toothbrushes, shampoo, underwear, etc) but I am nervous about leaving everything to chance.

What have others done? How do you navigate split stays without a car?

In case it needs any more explanation, I am most worried about the move from AKL to ASSp. We are doing the Epcot Aqua Seas tour that afternoon, so will need to have bathing suits and a change of clothes with us. If we brought the essential items that we didn't want to get lost with us to Epcot, what would we do with them? I just don't like leaving valuables in the locker rooms in Epcot or with unknown luggage tranfers between resorts.

We've done split stays lots of times, and haven't had many problems.

You check out of your resort in the am, give them your luggage, and tell them where to send it. It will most likely not arrive until 3-5pm, so make sure you have what you need for the day (we sometimes take swimsuits in a backpack if we want to use the hotel pool in the afternoon).

Take WDW transportation to the theme park of your choice. When you are done there, take transportation to your new hotel and check in. Let them know you are expecting your bags. You may have to call bell services a couple of times to remind them (we did...:sad2:).

In the end, it all arrived safely, though. Just don't expect it to get there quickly!

As for what to give them, we've given them all our luggage, just locked up the laptop in one of our suitcases. Alternately, we've carried the laptop in a backpack with us. But it's much easier to just give it to them and not have to worry about us damaging it...

Hope this answers your questions!:)

taxi sounds easier ... how much is it usually?

Well, it depends on where you're going, but most of our WDW taxi rides have been between $15 and $20 dollars.

It's easier to take a taxi in some ways, and not in others. If you move in the morning, don't expect to be able to check in to your new room until 3-4pm.

We play it by ear and generally decide that day what works better with our schedule.

We used a taxi in Aug, bell service came and helped getting our luggage from our room at POR to cab (van, same price as car) in front of lobby. We took it to WL, and checked in 1st thing in the morning. We left our luggage with WL bell services and checked in. Wasn't expecting room to be ready, but it was, so we went up and called down to Bell service and they brought up our luggage. Easy! Then we left for the parks.
We have done this before using cab, and our room wasn't ready, so bell service will hold onto your luggage.

I doubt my family will go for the taxi option, not when technically Disney offers a free option.

Does anyone else have experiences with transfering without using a taxi? Was luggage transfer easy? Did it work out well?

We had a very smooth and easy transfer this summer from the AKL to the Poly. 2 adults and 3 tweens worth of luggage, a box of water and grocery bags were handled wonderfully by Disney.

I doubt my family will go for the taxi option, not when technically Disney offers a free option.

Does anyone else have experiences with transfering without using a taxi? Was luggage transfer easy? Did it work out well?

I answered your question in my first post above.:goodvibes Just answered someone else's about the taxi later down in the thread. Check what I wrote to you and if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.:)

We're doing the same thing in January. We've done the transfer by taxi and will probably use the bus/luggage transfer this time.

My question is about out tickets. Are the days added to the new KTTK card once you arrive? Do you tell the desk at the second resort that you have days left? Just readin and wonderin!

We're doing the same thing in January. We've done the transfer by taxi and will probably use the bus/luggage transfer this time.

My question is about out tickets. Are the days added to the new KTTK card once you arrive? Do you tell the desk at the second resort that you have days left? Just readin and wonderin!

You can either just get a separate card for your park admission so you wont have to worry about it, or you can have your tickets on your KTTW card and have them transferred when you check in to the new resort. From my experience, how easy this will be will depend on the skill of the CM you're dealing with.;)

Disney will move your luggage. You need to make sure they tag each piece and you keep the receipts they give you for your luggage. Make sure you know how many pieces you give them so you can make sure it all arrives at the next destination.

You will not get the luggage until after 3pm and it can be later than that. We did not get ours until 5pm and a piece was misplaced. It turned up 2 days later.

So yes it is easy for some, but things can happen and sometimes do.

As others have said taking a taxi makes it much simpler and you have more control over your belongings.

We've done one, forced split but that was enough. We used Disney's services but we not informed our stuff wouldn't be delivered until after 3pm. It's not good to be stranded roomless and bagless for the day, epically in the hot Florida sun. If we ever do it again, hope not but you never know, we'll use a taxi, easily worth the 15-20 bucks, sometimes you get lucky and your next resort room is ready in the am and you'll have your bags, groceries and libations right with you to continue on having fun. Nothing worse going to a park, sweating like a pig only to return to a not ready room, no clothes or food or drink, not my idea of a pleasant switch on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter