• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Split Stay.. three different resorts ... Crazy??

panfan2507

Earning My Ears
Who has done it ?? How did it go?? I am seriously considering doing a three part split for our upcoming trip in August !! Am I crazy? I really , really , really want to stay at POLY but it is only available in the middle of our stay .. been checking for months!

For us it would depend on how long you are staying at each resort. We won't do a split stay if any of the resorts would be for less than 3 nights. We did a 3 resort split stay once but our entire trip was 11 nights and it was awesome!

I wouldn't do it ever. Once I get in and settled, I hate to move. I've stayed two times split; once it was 4 nights at Marriott's Grande Vista then 11 nights over at their Sabal Palms (we did Interval International "getaways" so it was super cheap - whole trip for 3 of us cost less than $2,000). Other time was a year and a half ago - one night at the Swan then walked over with our luggage to the BWV for 6 nights (early in the morning, so we were in Epcot before lunch).

I dislike moving. It's a pain. You lose precious vacation time. You can't unpack well. I like to unpack and be settled in! The Poly is just okay in my opinion - not worth moving twice for!

we just did it- for the same reason. We were booked at BLT and then moving to AKV mostly because we wanted to try both places out now that we are DVC members- then when the poly studios opened for booking I added two days there. Splitting between three places was a bit hectic with two kids- but I would do it again! We were at BLT for three nights, Poly for two and AKV for three. Poly was amazing and WELL worth it.

I'm another that doesn't want to waste the time and effort to move. It's not worth it, to me. There are five of us and unpacking and re packing is no small feet.

We are doing again this September, first three nights at the CR, one night at the WL and 7 nights maybe 9 nights at the BWI. We are driving and just the two of us. It is complicated but we make it works. I will say DH is not a big fan. He is ok with two but not three lol.

Thank you for the replies so far. We just love the poly and like being on the monorail line for part of the trip . We actually PREFER split stays! A monorail resort for the beginning and then an Epcot resort for the second half. Its just literally nothing is avail at all on monorail for the beginning or end of the trip... at this late in the game we can not change dates. My family is split on doing this with my husband not on board ! I would probably love it as I am up for adventure. :)

We just did a split starting at BC ending at Poly. While I loved not having to take a bus because of the locations, my family didn't like not getting completely unpacked and just wanted to just settle in. We probably wouldn't do it again. I know three resorts would not go over well at all for us. I do have to say that the transition was very easy from one resort to the other.

I did a 3 split stay in May, not on purpose mind you. We did two nights at AKV and 3 nights at BWV and another night at BWV in a different room. The trip started out as a solo trip but DS and DIL were able to join me at last minute. After we got settled into BWV we decided we needed one more night and couldn't stay in the same room since I booked it through Orbitz and had to book the last night through DW. I really like split stays, I just pack two different bags, but I drive down so it's a little easier to do that. I'm thinking if it's your only alternative, go for it, you only live once.

if you just really want to experience the poly, then it might be worth it. you also might be able to find additional availability at the poly at the beginning or end of your trip in the coming weeks, as people cancel. that would make it only a two way split.

with all that said i would NEVER again do a 3 way split intentionally. a two-way, yes. but we unintentionally ended up with a 3 way split between gf, then 2 nights in a regular room at poly, then another 4 or so CL at the poly (something like that; it was like 5 years ago). it was horrible. you have to remember that not only do you waste all that time packing and unpacking, but that most importantly, you are potentially without a room (and to en extent, your belongings because dealing with rifling through your bags in bell services is a pain) for a good chunk of your day on the change days. so, we had two nights at GF- the second night we had to get ready to switch the next day, which sort of killed that evening. the next morning we transferred to poly but our room was not ready until like 3 or 4 pm. we came back from the MK in the afternoon and sat around so hot and sweaty at the pool for what seemed like forever, waiting for our room. then two nights later we had to do the whole thing over again. we never felt settled until it was practically time to leave.

Some people love split stays to see the different resorts - I hate them. We did one in 2011 only because it was a spur of the minute trip and Contemporary was booked for the second half of the week, so we went to Wilderness Lodge. We had issues with our tickets (we were assured by the Contemporary staff that we didn't need to go to WL right away, our luggage would be moved and we could go on to the parks) - walked to MK, denied access. Stood in line for Guest Services for nearly 45 minutes, only to discover there was nothing they could do - we had to go to Wilderness Lodge and physically check-in before entering any parks. By the time we got through that process, it was nearly lunchtime and our in-laws were arriving after lunch and meeting us at WL. We grabbed a quick lunch, met the in-laws, squeezed in a quick two hours at MK, and went out to dinner with the in-laws that night, losing the majority of an entire park day. And it was our anniversary. Never again.

How long of a stay? How long has each part been in your past split stays?

We had a 4-resort stay once. The only reason it got awful was because I got sick a couple days into it and I was the only adult. Then after that 4 resort WDW stay we moved to Daytona Beach (where we were sick and sat around the room taking two long COLD sick walks on the beach and going to the store every so often) then we picked up DH at the airport and had a Universal trip (more hotel rooms!) and...then a cruise.

Yeah, that was a long trip.

A 3 resort stay is nothin'. ;)

But if you haven't experienced the above, a 3 resort stay can feel like something.

In a perfect world I have things packed really well so I don't have to unpack *everything*. I can unpack the stuff for that part, so I feel settled and happy, but a lot of stuff stays in the bags. On moving day those unpacked things get tossed into one bag and we move! Great moving days are pool days; hang out at the pool at resort 1 then later move to the pool at resort 2. Maybe a park that later afternoon. (this is *perfect world* stuff, not what I've necessarily been able to accomplish, especially not during the Sick Trip) And we always have a car for splits so bags aren't stuck moving from place to place. I move them, I know where they are. Stuff for moving day is in carryons and is basically available.

We usually do a split-stay, but only 2 resorts. We did a 3 resort split one time (BC/AKL/GF) and it was really nice, but it also felt a little rushed. I think it was a 9 or 10 night stay. I think it really, really depends on you. We love to split, and other hate it. We travel lightly, so that really helps, too. The plus side is that we were able to enjoy 3 different resorts and almost didn't need to use the buses at all. How many days do you have? I think that would make a big difference. I would do a 3 resort split again, but I think that 2 resorts work better for my family. :)

I have done a split stay with 5 resorts in the past and loved it, but I have commitment issues so staying anywhere too long makes me panic.

We always do a 2 resort split stay. Mainly as we fly in from overseas and do a bit of shopping before hand at the outlets.. We usually do RO and package.. but have learned that package is better first as you can extend park days and have use them for RO only. I dont mind the packing etc.. We are VERY disorganized so it's nice to HAVE to pack up again to get re-organized. A long trip in one room without packing things up would be chaos. We "close up " our suitcases that the shopping / stuff we collect goes in and doesnt get open again until we get home.. Plus we launder at least once and so then we put the clean clother back in suitcase for resort move..

split stays allow us to stay at different resorts and try deluxes ( one year we did first 2 nights at AKL and then a week at POR). AKL would have been too much for the whole trip. For the AKL part, we packed clothes for that part in our carry-on.. We always pack swimwear and clothers for 2 days anyways in carry-on, just in case suitcases get lost or delayed.

I would NEVER do that, but I am a "nester". Packing and unpacking would make me miserable. I like to arrive, and unpack and settle in. I do this everywhere, not just at WDW. I don't feel like I have started vacation until everything is neatly put away for the week.
To each their own :-)

I did a split stay a few years ago when we added an extra day to our trip. We moved from BC villas to AKL for a night. It worked well because we just used that last day and a half to visit AK and explore the AK resort and pool.

If you're a light, organized packer and everyone else is onboard too, then yes. We've done it a couple times and it was 'fun' but the moving aspect outweighed the fun for us so we no longer do it.

I would suggest if you do decide to do it, to get up early and go ahead to your next resort and actually check in at the front desk. As others have mentioned, there can be problems with magic bands. I've never had to actually check out of resort #1 because I do the express check out thing, but I always go to resort #2 very early and check in. I'm an early riser so it is no problem for me, I do normally do the on line check in and say I'm getting there early, I've found when I do that there is a better chance a room will be ready. I still go to the front desk, just to check my magic band and because it makes me feel better. Because I drive it's easier to go ahead and move my car to the resort #2 early in the morning as well, that way I don't feel like a little lost orphan. Also, if you don't want to use different bags, you can either use packing cubes or good ole fashioned big ole zip lock bags, pack your outfits for separate days in each bag, roll that puppy getting all the air out and zip it, then all you have to do is rotate out the bags and they pack a whole lot easier since they are smaller. If you don't want to do each days outfit that way, possibly all the shorts for one part of the trip in one bag, all the shirts for one part in another, etc. Again then you just have to pull that trips bags out of the big bag and when you are done with them, those dirty clothes go back into the zip lock and get rotated to the bottom of the bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter