Split Stay: On-Site & Off-Site

iheartwalt

Mouseketeer
Has anyone done a split stay with an off-site hotel and an on-site hotel? Thoughts?
We are planning on doing 4 nights at the Park Vue and then 3 or 4 nights on DVC points at the Grand Californian. We can't afford to do the whole trip at a Disney hotel but we will have a couple of rest days or half days and thought the GC looks way better for hanging out at.
I know we will have to move our own luggage, so hoping the cab ride won't be too pricey.

so the earlier in the day you transfer using the taxi, the less the taxi ride will cost. Waiting at crosswalks that are not being used properly by pedestrians can increase the meter as well as traffic leading into the GCH. And what do you think the fare would be ???

I have not, but I am going to on our next visit. I have stayed at the GC, and it is really nice. We are staying there for part of our trip then moving to the Howard Johnson:-)

A few times, I've stayed a night or so at an offsite and then switched to on-site. I made it a point not to completely unpack, but you don't really have that luxury as you'll be offsite for 4 nights. It's a pain, but you'll be happy to move to the GCH for those last days. I would just suggest completely packing the night before and doing it early. If you're on harbor, I doubt the cab fees would be too high for moving the luggage.

I've done it once and I didn't like having to spend time packing and moving. I prefer to stay at one place.

We have split between Park Vue and DLH many times. We don't unpack at the first hotel so it doesn't take any time to pack up. Of course, we drive so we can load all our suitcases in it in the morning and then move to the DLH mid day when it is busy and we are ready for a break. We don't like missing the early hours in the park.

I have done this once. We stayed our first 2 nights at the hojo and then our last 5 nights at the DLH. The taxi ride early in the morning cost around $10. It's annoying to have to do the transfer, but if it is the only way you can afford it then i would do it. It sounds like you will be ending your stay at the GC which is the right way to do it so that you end your trip on a high note. The only way you will truly feel it is worth it to stay onsite is to utilize all that the GC has to offer. Enjoy the pools, take the free activities, and definitely use EMH. If you are organized enough to check in very early on your first day, they will let you get into the parks early on your check in day.

So back in 2012 I won a Disneyland vacation from a local radio station (I was so excited and we had a blast!). Basically I won park tickets for the family and 2 nights at GCH. We went with friends and they wanted to stay longer so we paid the difference and added more park days. But for the hotel we ended up staying at GCH the first couple nights and then moved to the hotel our friends were at (the old Jolly Roger Inn). I suggest staying off site first and then ending your trip at GCH. The GCH is such a nice hotel and to go from that to a less luxurious hotel is kind of a bummer (although I've never stayed at Park Vue Inn). I much rather had ended the trip at the nicer hotel. I tell people this all the time when we talk about that vacation. Just something to think about.

We drove so didn't have to deal with taxis. Can't chime in much there.

Also, I don't quite remember the details but I think we mostly lived out of the suitcase the first couple nights so we didn't have to pack as much to move. My daughter was just 4 months old then so we ended up with more than we wanted just because of that but I remember leaving as much as we could in the vehicle...and doing that at the GCH was kind of a pain since parking was so far away (for those couple times we needed something that we left in the vehicle).

Have a great time. GCH is gorgeous. We're going in April (staying at Hojo this time) and I'm more excited than the 2 kids :)

We have done split stays twice. Once we stayed 4 nights at BWPPI and 4 nights at the Disneyland Hotel and once 5 nights at BWPPI and 4 nights at Paradise Pier. We usually call for a taxi really early in the morning and get to the Disney hotel to do early check in. We leave our luggage with bell services and make it in time for early admission into the parks. We like to end our stay at a Disney hotel (when we can afford it). We won't be doing this for our upcoming July trip due to the high summer prices! But it's always a treat when we can stay at a Disney hotel. :)

ive split a couple times. its not a bad idea as long as you stay offsite first and dont unpack too much. i like to visit the parks as much as possible on the offsite days and then take advantage of the on site hotel areas(because i just spent so much money on it lol) concierge lounge/pool/steakhouse 55/ trader sams. For my GF and I we just like being in the Disney atmosphere more than being in the actual parks.

i also recommend Uber for the area. pick ups are quick and wind up being cheaper than shuttles because its only one fare rather than 5/head for some hotel shuttles. also its about 5-7 dollars to go anywhere in the area so its cheaper than a taxi most of the time. fare and tip are prepaid so its super convenient as well - just get in and get out of the car.

HAVE FUN!

Thanks everyone for all the great info and tips!
-we will for sure do the GCH at the end :) we have split stayed at WDW and ending on a deluxe is the way to go.
- I didn't even think about the packing and our last split stay was sans kids. Thinking I will pack my suitcase with the Park Vue clothes, DH's with the GCH clothes, and DS's with our toiletries,park stuff, and just stuff needed at both places.
-I will definitely check into Uber, great idea!
Thanks again! Looking forward to my first real DLR trip but a little overwhelmed as my vast WDW knowledge is kind of useless :)

i think if your a WDW vet you should get by just fine. ive never been and am already intimidated by there shear size of the place. all the different parks and whatnot. also make extra sure you want to stay at the GCH. As beautiful and "grand" as it is - to me and my GF its just not disney enough for us. DLH is just so magical. with the fiber optic light up head board and the interwoven "hidden" mickey carpet. the mickey and minnie shaped pool area and the tea cup waiting area at check in. it just accomplishes the "Disney Bubble" effect a whole lot better. the GCH is just a ritsy log cabin. DLH is cheaper as well. the walk is a bit longer from door to gate but with cutting through GCH for DCA and monorail for disneyland its not bad at all. also if you wanted to go to main gates DTD makes the walk go by quicker when u stop to look at things.

We usually call for a taxi really early in the morning and get to the Disney hotel to do early check in. We leave our luggage with bell services and make it in time for early admission into the parks.

This is what we have done and I highly recommend it! Be at the hotel an hour before early hour opening and you will be all set. It's a perk of the hotel so you might as well take advantage of it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter