Split stay between WDW and The Dark Side

phillymummer

DIS Veteran
I originally posted this over on the Disney Tips forum, but didn't get any responses, so I will try here. I guess they didn't like answering questions involving The Dark Side. ;) j/k!

On my next trip- aiming for 2105- probably November, either part of Jersey week (1st Choice) or over thanksgiving (last choice!). We plan on splitting our stay between WDW and Universal. I would *love* to take an entire day to check out of our Disney Resort (probbaly Aoa) and check into the Universal Resort (no parks at all that day) , but unless my school district changes the calendar or loosens up the personal day restrictions, I just won't have the time to do that.

SO..... should I......

Option #1- check out of our Disney resort early in the morning, go to a Disney Park, go back to resort and catch some sort of transportation over to our Universal Resort, then check in (I would end up checking in pretty late, after a day at the parks).

OR

Option #2- Check out of our Disney Resort early, catch some transportation over to the Universal Resort, check in, and then head to one of the Universal Parks.

Or...... does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, DISers!

Universal is always better after Disney...once you get used to Express, you won't want to stand in the FP lines.

Thank you, I have read that before, so that is why I am planning on going to Universal after Disney, It's just I am not sure when I want to make the transfer over to Universal (after doing a Disney park all day or in the morning before going to Universal).

I am thinking Option #1 would be the better choice so I can take advantage of the extra early hour that I would get by staying on Universal Property.

I am also wondering if there are any ideas I am not thinking of.

I should say that I will not go to a park on the day I arrive ever again, and not sure if I could convince the hubby to take an extra late flight home in order to go to the park on our arrival day, which is why I need to consider the other options.

(Summer is also not an option)

How early can you check into Universal? I don't stay onsite, but isn't check in normally later in the day?

That's a good question! I just assumed it would be like Disney- I could "check-in" to get my tickets (even if the room isn't ready), drop off my luggage with the bell hop and go off to the park. After the park, I would get my luggage and go to my room.

Do the Universal Hotels work like that? Option #1 is looking more like the definitive option!

That's a good question! I just assumed it would be like Disney- I could "check-in" to get my tickets (even if the room isn't ready), drop off my luggage with the bell hop and go off to the park. After the park, I would get my luggage and go to my room.

Do the Universal Hotels work like that? Option #1 is looking more like the definitive option!

I haven't done it... Yet... But have read on these boards that indeed, it is like disney... You can check in as early as you want, drop your bags with the bell staff, and I think they text you when your room is ready.

I originally posted this over on the Disney Tips forum, but didn't get any responses, so I will try here. I guess they didn't like answering questions involving The Dark Side. ;) j/k!

On my next trip- aiming for 2105- probably November, either part of Jersey week (1st Choice) or over thanksgiving (last choice!). We plan on splitting our stay between WDW and Universal. I would *love* to take an entire day to check out of our Disney Resort (probbaly Aoa) and check into the Universal Resort (no parks at all that day) , but unless my school district changes the calendar or loosens up the personal day restrictions, I just won't have the time to do that.

SO..... should I......

Option #1- check out of our Disney resort early in the morning, go to a Disney Park, go back to resort and catch some sort of transportation over to our Universal Resort, then check in (I would end up checking in pretty late, after a day at the parks).

OR

Option #2- Check out of our Disney Resort early, catch some transportation over to the Universal Resort, check in, and then head to one of the Universal Parks.

Or...... does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, DISers!

i know it was an error.
no one plans that far out......2105....:laughing:

i would not go during the Tday period.
Tday will be crowded so will that weekend.

go during the earlier part of november.
jersey week doesn't interfer with the darkside crowds.
prior to Tday, november has light crowds.
early thru the week of Tday has been a great time in the parks.

how many nights do you plan to stay onsite?
if it's 3, then take your time at the motherland and arrive in the afternoon to the darkside hotel.
you'll have 2 more nights and 3 more early entry dates you can use.

hotel perks are for the day you check in and the day you check out until park closing time.

use car service or a taxi to transfer from the motherland resort to the darkside resort.
spend the late afternoon checking out the hotel, eateries, pool, city walk, etc.
do the next 3 days with early entry and express lines for rides/shows.

btw, if you can not spend more than 2 nights onsite, then go with the other option.
arrive early in the morning to check in and hit the parks for EE.

How early can you check into Universal? I don't stay onsite, but isn't check in normally later in the day?

i have checked in at 6:20 am before.
store my luggage with valet, get my express pass made.

then i hit rph for the orchid court lounge for breakfast as it opens at 6:00 am.

walk to the park around 7:30 and get in before 8:00 for early entry.

you can check in and get your room/express keys made.

rooms are not necessarily available at check in unless the room was not occupied the night prior.

you can get a text or phone call when your room is available.
you can also request your stored belongings at valet be brought to your room before you return.

you are given the room number when you check in or when you are contacted the room is ready.

and, you can call the front desk anytime to see if your room is ready instead of waiting to hear from them.

2015 is the next trip- that was not a typo. I have been reading these boards for almost a year- you can't tell me no one plans that early!!! :rotfl:

If I go during Jersey week, it would be from Late Tues to Sunday (2 days at Disney and 2 days at Universal). Due to certain circumstances surrounding Hurricane Sandy, this may not even be possible.

If I go during T'giving it would be from late Wednesday to either Sunday or Monday (not sure if I could get Monday off from work). So again, two days at Disney and 2 days at Universal.

If I go during Thanksgiving, I would definitely find a way to stay on-site for the express pass, even if it is only 2 nights. If I go during Jersey week, I will consider staying at one of the partner hotels. I will be flying so transportation is an issue.

2015 is the next trip- that was not a typo. I have been reading these boards for almost a year- you can't tell me no one plans that early!!! :rotfl:
Re-read your first post - you posted 2105. No one DOES plan that early! Planning 2 years in advance is normal; planning 92 years in advance is not! :goodvibes

Re-read your first post - you posted 2105. No one DOES plan that early! Planning 2 years in advance is normal; planning 92 years in advance is not! :goodvibes

tanx, i was about to reply and tell op i copied her post.

i even put my glasses on to reread her original post.....:laughing:
i have made errors before...

OOPS!! I reread my post several times. I read your post. I saw the part you highlighted. And my brain still saw 2015!!

:eek:
:blush:

You're right...... no one plans THAT early!! :lmao:

If I go during Jersey week, it would be from Late Tues to Sunday (2 days at Disney and 2 days at Universal). Due to certain circumstances surrounding Hurricane Sandy, this may not even be possible.

If I go during T'giving it would be from late Wednesday to either Sunday or Monday (not sure if I could get Monday off from work). So again, two days at Disney and 2 days at Universal.

If I go during Thanksgiving, I would definitely find a way to stay on-site for the express pass, even if it is only 2 nights. If I go during Jersey week, I will consider staying at one of the partner hotels. I will be flying so transportation is an issue.

going to the darkside during thanksgiving weekend, is like going to the motherland during christmas.

best to stay on site at the darkside if you go then.

the darkside is not crowded like the motherland during jersey week.

going to the darkside during thanksgiving weekend, is like going to the motherland during christmas.

best to stay on site at the darkside if you go then.

the darkside is not crowded like the motherland during jersey week.

Humm.....

So would you say Universal is more crowded at Thanksgiving than Disney? I looked at crowd calendars for Disney during Thanksgiving and the days are 9's. Also, people have said it is less crowded than Christmas time and Easter.... more like peak summer season.

Universal during the same time is 10+? :scared1:

Oh crap...... this is why I plan early. Plus, since I don't work during the summer I have plenty of time to stalk the Dis and get ideas.

I may have to skip a combo trip and just go for Universal. I'm not sure my family will go for that..... :headache:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3133004&highlight=going+thanksgiving+time

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110819&highlight=going+thanksgiving+time

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3125852&highlight=going+thanksgiving+time

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3022939&highlight=going+thanksgiving+time

some threads and discussion on Tday weekend.

since you aren't going until 2015, i have no idea how the crowd pattern will be in over 2 years.
if it holds like it has been, more peeps will post about it over the next few years.

Thank you Macraven for doing that search for me. If I did T'giving, I would be there during the "crushingly packed" days of Saturday and Sunday. Unless, I did Universal First and Disey Second, which I really don't want to do. Looks like I am going to be hoping and praying my Jersey Week plan doesn't get messed up.
:littleangel:

be sure to check the forums when Tday period comes (and passes) this year and next.

it might give you a better idea of the crowd levels and that would help you make your final decision of jersey week or Tday week/end period for 2015.

with summer 2014 and the opening of hp2, touring styles will change.
don't know at this point how that will carry over to the rest of the year.

When did planning two years ahead become "normal"? I've obviously never been near normal in my entire 58 years!

The Disney vs. Universal discussion is humorous though and I applaud the OP's open mind.

So many DIS'ers see "magic" and "pixie dust" at Disney but absolutely refuse to acknowledge that anyone could possibly feel these emotions at Universal. So strange ... And small minded.

if you only have 4 days I would just do universal with maybe a day at Seaworld.
We did that a couple of years ago, it was a great trip. My son did not want to go to seaworld but he ended up loving it! Onsite is awesome, way better then WDW. There are great deals too. We got 40% off. We are paying the same price for HRH as POFQ.

When did planning two years ahead become "normal"? I've obviously never been near normal in my entire 58 years!

The Disney vs. Universal discussion is humorous though and I applaud the OP's open mind.

So many DIS'ers see "magic" and "pixie dust" at Disney but absolutely refuse to acknowledge that anyone could possibly feel these emotions at Universal. So strange ... And small minded.

I have been to Universal before- IoA in 2010, but it was only one day and we traveled over from Disney property. I loved it. Dare I say I almost loved it more than Disney! :eek: :stir: But I know what you mean..... I first posted this question over on the Disney Tips board and there were over 70 views but no responses!! I guess they didn't want to help me with my visit to "The Dark Side!" ;)

I only plan this far ahead for Disney trips. I started out by trying to price out various trip dates so I know how much money I need to save. Also, I know I want to wait until 2015 bc I will turn 40 and my daughter will turn 10. Birthday Trip!! :cake:

I have added another option:

Opyion #3- I just may take an entire day to check-out of Disney and check-in to whichever Universal Hotel I stay at, then I will get a very late flight home and go to a park on my departure day (I have never done that before!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter