Split Stay - Best Resort First?????

MystikaFaith

Mouseketeer
I am contemplating a split stay for our upcoming trip. Am I crazy for thinking of going to the nicest resort first (Animal Kingdom Villa with savannah view) for two nights and then downgrading to the Wilderness cabins for the remainder of our stay?

Has anyone else ever downgraded and been happy with the decision?

My rationale is that we will be driving down which equates to about 27 hours on the road. We'll be doing it over two days just as we did last time and though the drive itself was a fun adventure, it was admittedly kind of tiring. To me it seems like an absolutely fabulous idea to first go to the AKL and lounge at the resort for a day to recuperate before we hit the parks.

Last time we arrived at Disney World around 5PM and had our first meal at Boma. After the long drive we feasted and it was fabulous. Then we headed back to the All Stars Movies where we were staying. Regardless of where we go next, we'll definitely be having a Disney arrival Boma feast again. If we spend that night at the AKL we'd save the hassle of further travel that day.

Plus, after such a long journey it would be nice to finish the evening off in a whirlpool bath or maybe just chill in one of the hot tubs.

Opinions??

Sounds good to me. I think you have it all figured out nicely, actually. The only reason it seems better to do the nicer one second is so you don't feel disappointed by the lack of luxury you just had. But if you're going to commit those days to running around in the parks then I don't see why you should first have your relax days.

~Cari~ pluto:

I plan my split stays as to what I want to do on each day. For example: I'm going down May 10-15, solo trip, for F&G. I'm doing a split stay 2 nights at AKL (First) and 3 nights at BWV. It actually just worked out cheaper to do it this way and I've always wanted to stay at AKL and wanted an Epcot resort to enjoy the most time at F&G. I hate riding the buses so the first full day I'll do AK since you have to ride a bus there no matter where you stay. My second day I'll do MK since I usually ride the bus there anyway even when I'm staying at an Epcot resort. Then it's Epcot and HS the last 3 days. Since both my resorts are deluxe it really doesn't matter and since AK isn't usually an all day thing for me I'll have the afternoon to wander around the resort. If I do split value/Deluxe or moderate/deluxe, I always save the deluxe for last and use the value or moderate for staying at the parks most days.

When I saw your title question, I was going to suggest the opposite....until I read your post. I like the way you're thinking, and since you have your first night dinner at Boma, it does make sense to just stay at AKL. Maybe even go to AK the next day since you're over there. I wouldn't consider the Cabins a total downgrade, though. You'll have the boat to MK and be close to the monorail resorts for meals.

I think your plan sounds great - it's not any fun to hit the parks when you're exhausted!

I'm actually doing the same thing in May/June - we're starting off a single night at Pop (to take advantage of the Magical Express and luggage delivery), followed by a deluxe resort at Universal, two nights at the Grand Floridian, and then the remainder of our trip at Port Orleans Riverside. I also debated doing the Grand Floridian last, but decided it might be a nice mid-vacation break after several go-go-go days at Universal. I'm really looking forward to it!

Have a wonderful trip! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter