split stay and front loading DxDDP?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
has anyone ever done a split stay and front loaded their expensive dining on DxDDP while paying oop the second half?

I have about 3 ways I can look at my upcoming stay right now but this one is looking pretty appealing, being more regimented at the beginning of the stay with expensive meals and character buffets and then using the "bad value on the DDP" stuff toward the end of the stay, including Sci Fi Dine in, CP package at Coral Reef and Hoop De Doo (would not do this in other than tier 1), also allowing a lot more flexibility on the QS stuff. Planning 2-3 nights at one resort (hopefully Poly DVC) with 4-5 nights at BWV at the end. Was originally planning on doing regular dining plan with a few OOP things here and there but thinking I can get a few more high end meals in this way for not much more money.

Has anyone done a few days of sit down breakfasts and sit down dinners and then slacked off for the second half of the trip? How did that work out for you? Seems like it would work out great actually and the savings I'd see for Me + kid for 3 nights of DxDDP (making assumption that there will be a RoL dining package at Tiffin for 2TS each that will cost the same as the Fantasmic Package at brown derby) and $3.50 (VERY conservative) per yet to be determined snacks is about $120... not too shabby.

Right now I am looking at:
Arrival Saturday late afternoon
Ohana Dinner (2TS)
Sunday:Tusker House breakfast (2TS)
CA Grill Dinner (4TS)
Monday: CP Breakfast (2TS)
RoL Tiffin Dinner Package (4TS)
Tuesday: Ohana Breakfast (2TS)
Hollywood & Vine Holiday Dine in (2TS)

for a total of 18 dining credits. 2 people x 6 credits x 3 nights.

Tuesday morning we'd check out of the poly (hopefully!) and spend the morning/afternoon at downtown Disney before heading over to the boardwalk. If the room is not ready early we'll go straight to Hollywood Studios for our dinner and fantasmic. Then come back and basically use up any remaining snack credits at the boardwalk bakery for breakfast for the next several days. We'll have microwave, toaster and fridge. Plus our refillable mugs will be good for the rest of our stay, correct? seems like we could really stretch our credits and get more TS meals and flexibility this way.

What do you expert plan workers think?

I think you have a good plan. I would definitely say doing this at the beginning of the trip is better than the second half. It is usually by the end of the trip you are tired of big meals and are better off going OOP. I am in the same situation on using the deluxe plan for my son and I. I am not doing it for a split stay, so will have it the whole trip, but with the number of 2 credit meals we have planned it still will save money.

Yep! We are doing exactly this next week and in September as well. We have a three way split stay over nine days. We are using two nights' worth of credits to eat over the first three days like kings, then ordering in groceries for the next section of the trip, and finishing up with Concierge for the little foods and beverages that come with that. So, a wide variety of things including the deluxe dining plan to help us get all of the buffet and signature dining out of the way first.

I think your plan sounds solid. You can also store leftovers in your fridge seeing as the portions are so large and perhaps get an additional day out of your meal plan.

I just did this the day after Thanksgiving, but only did one day on the DlxDP. That way we did not even bother getting much out of our luggage :) We arrived Friday afternoon and had the F! dinner package at Minnie's Holiday Dine. Got our mug at breakfast the next morning before leaving that resort and moving on to the next, and then used our other 2 credits for the CP package at Chefs de France. Since we knew in advance those were 2 specific dining experiences we wanted, it made sense to get the Dlx plan for one day rather than pay OOP. And when you do it at the beginning of the trip, you have the mug to use the entire time :)

We are doing the same thing in May. One night at BWV with DlxDP so we can do SciFi dinner that night, then Garden Grill Breakfast and Chefs de France dinner the next day.

Thanks, I think I am going to go for it. I think a whole week of TS breakfast and dinner could get tiring but 3 days of it should be alright. My old plan had me cramming in CS I was not crazy about (it is a little hard to find places that have food that appeal to both of us) to fit them in and leaving out some things I really wanted to do for TS. This plan is about $115 (plus maybe a few more snacks or cs breakfast type items) more than DDP for 7 days + OOP coral reef CP package.... and I drop 5 counter service meals and end up with the addition of Calfornia Grill, HOPEFULLY the eventual Tiffin with dinner package (fingers crossed on that one) and Hoop Dee Doo, none of which would have made the initial cut. So worth it, I just hope it is not too much TS but probably around the time when I had enough I can slack off and order just what I want!

Thanks OP! I had a similar question. :) Sorry to jump in too but does this mean you can use your credits even if you have checked into the new resort for the 2nd half of your trip?

Thanks OP! I had a similar question. :) Sorry to jump in too but does this mean you can use your credits even if you have checked into the new resort for the 2nd half of your trip?

Your credits expire on midnight of the day you check out (I believe, maybe someone will confirm). They are still yours even if you check into the new resort, but the next day they are gone. The mug is good from 14 days from first use.

Thanks so much @Lisa F :) I like your plan and am thinking about doing the same thing. My family (DH, DS2.5 and I) is going in Dec as well and we're booked for AKL for 2 nights then CR for 6 nights! Maybe we'll see you there :)

We got the regular DP for the first half of our split stay last trip along with the full trip tickets. Then booked room only the 2nd place. It was great. Especially with the credits good that last day of check out till midnight. Plenty of time to use them up, and stock up on snacks for breakfast the next day, like muffins, if you have the credits left. I think I may have even had a quick service left and I grabbed a sandwich meal at the boardwalk and put it in the fridge for the next day. Loved it, loved making the reservations for the restaurants I wanted to try, and then having the freedom to sample whatever , since we were walk in to epcot , the next part of the trip. Have fun!

Thanks so much @Lisa F :) I like your plan and am thinking about doing the same thing. My family (DH, DS2.5 and I) is going in Dec as well and we're booked for AKL for 2 nights then CR for 6 nights! Maybe we'll see you there :)
Well if you see me and the kiddo be sure to say hi! you see what restaurants we will be at too, lol. I am so excited about my plan, using regular DDP entire visit I was saving more money but I also had to put some favorites on the chopping block. With this plan it is costing me about $100 more oop (but oddly enough it was the same total spending on meals all week) I think but for that $100 more I am swapping out 5QS meals for 2 signatures and Hoop Dee Doo. I think that is a good deal for me! Gladly willing to pay it!

We got the regular DP for the first half of our split stay last trip along with the full trip tickets. Then booked room only the 2nd place. It was great. Especially with the credits good that last day of check out till midnight. Plenty of time to use them up, and stock up on snacks for breakfast the next day, like muffins, if you have the credits left. I think I may have even had a quick service left and I grabbed a sandwich meal at the boardwalk and put it in the fridge for the next day. Loved it, loved making the reservations for the restaurants I wanted to try, and then having the freedom to sample whatever , since we were walk in to epcot , the next part of the trip. Have fun!

Yes, I just know I am going to have mega snack credits (esp with 2/day on the DxDDP) at the end and how much nicer when you are switching to the boardwalk and have fridge, microwave and toaster... can still use your refillable mug and are not scrambling for snacks you can take home with you. I am guessing we will get 1 if not 2 days of breakfasts out of the DDP.... just trying to figure out what will hold up best that count as snacks at the bakery. I don't want to sugar up too badly but will have to get a couple of sweet treats too. Maybe croissants.

Got a different split stay question, but figured this may be a decent thread to ask it.

We are staying our first night at All-Star Sports, no dining plan (Feb 24). The next day (Feb 25) we are staying at POR with dining plan.

The question I have is the morning of Feb 25th when we are checking out of the All-Star Sports can we get our refillable mug at that resort for breakfast drinks. I was wondering if this was possible since we have a dining plan that goes into effect that day at POR, or does the refillable mug have to come from the resort you are staying at?

Got a different split stay question, but figured this may be a decent thread to ask it.

We are staying our first night at All-Star Sports, no dining plan (Feb 24). The next day (Feb 25) we are staying at POR with dining plan.

The question I have is the morning of Feb 25th when we are checking out of the All-Star Sports can we get our refillable mug at that resort for breakfast drinks. I was wondering if this was possible since we have a dining plan that goes into effect that day at POR, or does the refillable mug have to come from the resort you are staying at?

The problem may be in that you have to check in at your resort. Do you have a car, where you could hop over and check in while everyone else is lol lying around?

Also did you see this new split stay thread
http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-ultimate-split-stay-thread.3322505/

I did a chat with Disney and someone here confirmed it. you need to physically check in at the resort in order to get your dining plan allotments available to you. It is possible to get a paid for OOP meal credited back to you but not sure if you can get drinks credited back to you.

I had no idea that existed. Cool! I will get very familiar with it! was only thinking in terms of dining but I should stop thinking with my belleh right now lol

Ha ha, just saw it today myself, didn't read it all but there is a lot of info there, just my brain couldn't handle it all yet, lol.

The problem may be in that you have to check in at your resort. Do you have a car, where you could hop over and check in while everyone else is lol lying around?

Also did you see this new split stay thread
http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-ultimate-split-stay-thread.3322505/

Thanks for all the info from both LisaF and DJFan. This above thread will definitely be helpful in the future!

We do have a car and could swing over to POR early, but too much hassle for some drinks. I was just trying to maximize the usage of them if possible. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for all the info from both LisaF and DJFan. This above thread will definitely be helpful in the future!

We do have a car and could swing over to POR early, but too much hassle for some drinks. I was just trying to maximize the usage of them if possible. Thanks again for the info.
yes sometimes some perspective is good. like is it really worth my time for that? lol. I'd first go to HOW DO I MAXIMIZE THIS but then need to back away slowly from my cheap side. :rotfl:

Ha ha, just saw it today myself, didn't read it all but there is a lot of info there, just my brain couldn't handle it all yet, lol.
You just need to read the first few posts. Most useful thing I read: pack your suitcases per stay rather than per person. So I think I will do that, unpack first suitcase and then pack clothing back into it as we take it off to minimize time packing and unpacking. Then do the same.

HONESTLY and you may think I'm nuts, I am considering moving one more time... 3 nights poly, 3 nights boardwalk, 1 night BLT. My tradition is last day at MK, if we stay at the boardwalk I will drive to TTC, go to MK, take the boat to HDDR then have to take the boat back to MK and get back to TTC. OR I can just call bell services to get the bags, drive over to BLT, check in, walk to the MK, take boat to HDDR, then take boat directly "home" without the travel hassle. Three added bonuses: 1) can watch fireworks from the top of the world lounge our last night if we are up to it. 2) can do laundry the last night in the room so can go home with all clean clothes 3) can get delicious room service breakfast at BLT - we did this 3 times last time... the sweet potato pancakes with chicken sausage from the wave are DIVINE and mickey waffles and bacon for the kid... the room service breakfast options at BWV are not as appealing for me and no mickey waffles for the kid (he vastly prefers waffles to pancakes, which is what they have at BWV). Room service breakfast for two of us with delivery charge and gratuity and tax would be about $30. It is a small luxury and maybe a great way to end the trip!

HONESTLY and you may think I'm nuts, I am considering moving one more time... 3 nights poly, 3 nights boardwalk, 1 night BLT.

Yes, maybe, but you seem to know what you can handle, and what may be fun for you. Staying different places can be part of the whole experience. We did a 2 place split stay last time, and are actually doing a 3 place, but that's because I was going to do 2, but my husband, bless his heart, said he wanted to add days to our vacation! He said he wanted down time in there and just relaxing. Plus, lucky us, our boys are teens now and can go off and do things while we relax or visit other lounges, etc., Actually, they want to, and I'm going to have to make them do things with us, lol.
But we are staying longer, so we are doing a 5-3-5 split, the last being the Dolphin, where I saved some money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter