Split stay advice

I personally wouldn’t stay in Waianae! It is a pretty poor neighbourhood with a very large homeless population sleeping along the roads, parks and beaches. Add into that it is located in an area where there is 1 road in and out. The traffic is horrific early morning and late afternoon with locals going to and from work.

As I stated in an earlier post, have you also been given a NUC to ensure legality of the rental?
Thanks for the info!

I personally wouldn’t stay in Waianae! It is a pretty poor neighbourhood with a very large homeless population sleeping along the roads, parks and beaches. Add into that it is located in an area where there is 1 road in and out. The traffic is horrific early morning and late afternoon with locals going to and from work.

As I stated in an earlier post, have you also been given a NUC to ensure legality of the rental?
Thanks for the info!
Strongly second this. Lots of chronics, crazies, and crime. There are a lot of VERY GOOD, hard working people who live there as well. I lived on the west side of Oahu (Makakilo) for decades and there are pockets of Waianae that I would not visit during the day, much less at night.
Thanks for the info!

Just my opinion of course, but my wife and I walked through the Hilton Hawaiian Village just to check the place out on our Waikiki day a few weeks ago during our Aulani trip. For us, it seemed enormous, as well as confusing to navigate. The beach didn’t seem all that great either.

The Courtyard Oahu North Shore is kind of on its own. I think there are a few stores and a grocery store but it is kind of in a weird, off the beaten path location. It is near the Polynesian Cultural Center and in kind of a small residential pocket. There is a McDonalds and a Foodland but otherwise you will be out driving to find places to eat etc.

If you wanted to split it up with the North Shore maybe consider Turtle Bay Resort. There are condos for rent there and of course, the hotel itself.
I know that the beach that the hotel is on is a sheltered bay so I think they would be swimmable in April (Kuilima Bay)
At any time there is high surf I swim with caution or not at all
1612178993600.png

One major reason I do not like staying in Waikiki for a home base is that the traffic into and out of Honolulu can be pretty heavy. If we stay in Waikiki it is only for a few nights and to experience Honolulu city stuff or maybe heading out to the east side beaches and Hanauma Bay. I don't know if maybe the traffic is less these days because of restrictions.

Don't rent a car to stay at Waikiki! It is very expensive to park ($35/day!) and the traffic is terrible!

Ride the local bus to Perl Harbor or even to the Polynesian Cultural Center. You could also book a tour which provides transportation.

-Paul

Waikiki is reasonable these days because of COVID, but normally there is almost zero space. The beaches by the Courtyard Oahu North Shore will be swimmable in April, it's the pipeline area beaches that you need to worry about. But even those won't be too bad, December and January is high surf season.

If you can swing the cost, then Turtle Bay is in a great location. Right near spectacular beaches, and a short drive to Haleiwa. I also loved the Kailua area.

I personally just don't like Waikiki. It's nothing like the rest of Hawaii. But millions of people stay there in a normal year and enjoy it.

Just an update. We stayed in Waianae and LOVED it & had zero issues with the condo. Yes there were plenty of homeless folks but we had no issues at all. Can’t wait to stay there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter