• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Split party between Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific and FOTL pass....

edk35

DIS Veteran
Okay I wanted to know if I could do this. My son has a high school trip (from Maryland) to Universal in April. His school is staying at Cabana Bay. Myself and my daughter are going to stay at Royal Pacific. I was planning on getting him the express pass for the two days they are in the parks. My daughter and I will get the FOTL pass for staying at RP. If I add my son to the reservation at RP can he too get the FOTL even if he is staying at CB? I know it's probably unethical :rolleyes1 but it just dawned on me this morning that this might be an option. IS this a wrist band or a card or what?? TIA.

I wouldn't consider it as an option
one of the dis rules states no postings on ways to circumvent the system

If you are on a budget, tweak it to come up with ways to buy son the ep for the two days

Or if it is possible, extend his vacation from the school trip and have him stay with you instead of leaving with the others

The photo is ep card is made from your hotel key
Only rpr, pbr, and hrh allow the perk of free unlimited usage of the express pass

Op it's a card. You take your room keys that you get at checkin over to the ep kiosk, take your own picture, and the card is printed for you. You show that card at each ep line.

I don't know how it works for purchasing the ep.

Will your son be hanging out with you and your DD, or with his high school friends? If he's going to be with his friends, there is no advantage to the EP. His friends staying with him at Cabana Bay won't have it.
My DD is in high school, and she'd be with her friends every second if on a school trip.

Will your son be hanging out with you and your DD, or with his high school friends? If he's going to be with his friends, there is no advantage to the EP. His friends staying with him at Cabana Bay won't have it.
My DD is in high school, and she'd be with her friends every second if on a school trip.
Well our plan was to buy the express for him and I am pretty sure others will be doing the same.

Well our plan was to buy the express for him and I am pretty sure others will be doing the same.

It was a good point, so definitely make sure the others will have EP before you buy it. (though I'd still add him to the room, personally)

I was at Disneyland for a night on the way to a big family reunion that coincided when my much younger sister had a cheer thing there. Although she was staying with her squad (albeit in the same hotel), she visited the room regularly. So I'd want to make that easy on him, in case he wants to visit.

Gotcha!! You did not specify in your original post that the students staying at CB would be purchasing the EP.

Also, since your son may be visiting your room and using amenities there, I think putting him on the reservation is a good idea anyways.

Haven't we talked about throwaway rooms and adding offsite people to a reservation as long as room capacity is ok? I'm confused how those are ok but this isn't?

I'd do it. Add him on there so he has easy access to your room etc.

I was thinking the same thing.

They are technically paying for a room at both UO resorts and it is her son, I don't see a problem with this.

It would be different if they wanted to add a friend that was staying off-site.

I don't see a problem with this either and I'm not generally one to support bending the rules. I don't think it's any different than a throw away room where everyone is actually sleeping offsite or a son who is booked in your room but stays out partying all night and never sleeps in the room. If you have the occupancy in your room I would do it. He will need to meet you in the hotel lobby to have his express pass made.

Do you really think the other students will buy EP? I kind of doubt it. That's a big expense. I wouldn't pay for it for my child going on a trip like this and I don't think my child could afford to do so themselves.

In any case, I'd still add my child to my room since it won't cost you anything if he's under 18 and if he can take advantage of EP, then great.

Last edited:
I agree with PP in that I would not pay for it, because likely his friends won't pay for it either. Even if you put him on your room at RPR and he gets EP from that, won't he be odd man out if none of his friends get EP?

Regardless, I don't see any problem with adding him to your room at RPR for this purpose. One thing to consider, however, is if DD and DS are both age 17 or older, adding him to your room will add a $25 per night fee.

When I booked this reservation I booked it for 2 people so I would have to add him.

Your kid, you can put him on your reservation. If he is a legal adult there will be an Extra Adult charge when more than two adults occupy the same room. The hotel EP is 'unlimited'; the purchased one is generally for one time through. I WOULD put my kid on my reservation in case something went awry with the group trip, especially since I'm going to be there too.

It would be different if they wanted to add a friend that was staying off-site.

I wouldn't mind it in that situation, either.

When we stay at WDW, we'll get a big DVC villa for extended family and move to a smaller place, but even after they go home we keep my aunt on our room reservation, just in case she wants to come back and stay. I would do the exact same thing for Universal. As long as I'm still legally inside the room occupancy, I see zero problem with it.

The hotel EP is 'unlimited'; the purchased one is generally for one time through.

You can buy the unlimited EP, too, now.

I also don't see any rule bending or any issue at all.

- When you book a room, there is no requirement regarding who stays in the room.
* as long as the lead guest meets the check in age requirement
* as long as the number of guests do not exceed room occupancy
* as long as each guest pays the price/fee associated with their being booked in the room.

You do not need to be family, you do not need to be related.
For what it's worth you could even pick a homeless on Sand Lake Road on your way to the hotel, and invite them to spend the night with you, as long as you pay the $25 for them.

The only rule bending or issue would be if you invited someone and ask them to pay more that the $25 associated with their presence in the room. If you did ask for more money, then you'd be basically reselling the EPs and that would be forbidden by law.

- Being booked at 2 hotels at the same time is a non issue. Because if you're booked at 2 hotels, it means that you have paid to stay at both hotels. How is it rule bending to benefit from perks you have paid for.

Wait, I know, kids stay for free at universal so they don't really pay for their second night, do they ?
Well, the very reason why they get to stay for free is that they're staying with a paying adult

there is absolutely no circumventing the system here.
As long as room occupancy is respected, as long as associated fees are paid for, and as long as guests do not make money by reselling the onsite perks to "strangers", it's perfectly fine, either morally or legally.

Now, regarding OP and the EP for their son. It's irrelevant wether his friends get EP or not.
He has the opportunity to get them, because his parents paid for a room where he's got all the rights to stay at (he could indeed stay there, his share of the room price would still be paid at CBBR where he wouldn't stay, so no issue there)
If he doesn't use the EPs, then so be it. If his friends get EPs, then at least he won't be left at the entrance of the ride

it's a win-win situation. It doesn't bend rules, even as far as universal is concerned, because universal will receive 2 payments for one guest's night.

WOW thanks for the breakdown. :) That pretty much explains it. :) Thanks again.

I also don't see any rule bending or any issue at all.

- When you book a room, there is no requirement regarding who stays in the room.
* as long as the lead guest meets the check in age requirement
* as long as the number of guests do not exceed room occupancy
* as long as each guest pays the price/fee associated with their being booked in the room.

You do not need to be family, you do not need to be related.
For what it's worth you could even pick a homeless on Sand Lake Road on your way to the hotel, and invite them to spend the night with you, as long as you pay the $25 for them.

The only rule bending or issue would be if you invited someone and ask them to pay more that the $25 associated with their presence in the room. If you did ask for more money, then you'd be basically reselling the EPs and that would be forbidden by law.

- Being booked at 2 hotels at the same time is a non issue. Because if you're booked at 2 hotels, it means that you have paid to stay at both hotels. How is it rule bending to benefit from perks you have paid for.

Wait, I know, kids stay for free at universal so they don't really pay for their second night, do they ?
Well, the very reason why they get to stay for free is that they're staying with a paying adult

there is absolutely no circumventing the system here.
As long as room occupancy is respected, as long as associated fees are paid for, and as long as guests do not make money by reselling the onsite perks to "strangers", it's perfectly fine, either morally or legally.

Now, regarding OP and the EP for their son. It's irrelevant wether his friends get EP or not.
He has the opportunity to get them, because his parents paid for a room where he's got all the rights to stay at (he could indeed stay there, his share of the room price would still be paid at CBBR where he wouldn't stay, so no issue there)
If he doesn't use the EPs, then so be it. If his friends get EPs, then at least he won't be left at the entrance of the ride

it's a win-win situation. It doesn't bend rules, even as far as universal is concerned, because universal will receive 2 payments for one guest's night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter