• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Splash Mtn / Song of the South needed

RickNWendy

<font color=red>They'll fight for Disney whenever
Greetings!

Hoping someone can help me out here. I have never seen song of the south, but would like to up my understanding of the splash mountain storyline, so...

I have 2 requests.

First, since I know I am not the only one... can anyone who has the DVD please post some relative storylines? I mean, I know the generalities, but any specifics, etc

SECOND, and more important from my perspective, if anyone is near Destin, FL and has a copy I can borrow, or anyone would be comfortable letting me 'rent' it from them for a few days, please send me an email or a PM - I can work some sort of deposit or something out.

Thanks!

Song of the South is set in antebellum Georga, and is seen from the perspective of a young boy, Johnny, who moves to his Grandmother's plantation. When Johnny learns that his parents are seperating, he decides to run away from home. But before he gets off the plantation, he meets an elderly slave (?) named Uncle Remus. Uncle Remus is respected on the plantation for his gentle wisdom and his story telling abilities, and he persuades Johnny to return to his mother by telling him tales of Brair Rabbit, especially the time Brair Rabbit ran away from home.

Johnny makes friends with Toby, a black boy about his own age who lives on their plantation, and Ginny, a poor white neighbor. Ginny's two older brothers pick on her, and Johnny has to rescue a puppy that these brothers want to drown. Uncle Remus hides the puppy, and again smoooths things over by telling more Brair Rabbit stories, which have lessons about dealing with difficult people.

Uncle Remus gets in trouble with Johnny's mother for hiding the neighbor's puppy, and she tells him not to speak with Johnny anymore. However, after Ginny's older brothers attack Johnny and Ginny on the way to a party, ruining Ginny's dress, Uncle Remus finds the two crying children and cheers them up with more stories of Brair Rabbit.

Johnny's mother is furious that Uncle Remus disobeyed her, and after the confrontation, he decides to leave the plantation for Atlanta. Seeing him leaving, Johnny races across a fenced field to stop him, but is mauled by a bull in the field. His father returns to the plantation to be near the injured boy, and the father and mother are reconciled. But it is Uncle Remus, telling another story of Brair Rabbit, who brings the boy back to health.

The story is a bit like Mary Poppins- live action, but with the Brair Rabbit stories done in animation.

Regarding the second part or your question...I don't live anywhere near you, and my copy of SOS is not very good anyway. However, you may be interested in this post on the rumors board- it sounds like the film may finally be released on DVD in the U.S.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=748225

marypops! said:
also on that i've read on the website www.songofthesouth.net that there is only 5 mins of speaking in it
If you mean that the characters only speak 5 min that is really wrong. The whole video is pretty much speaking or singing. I went to see this movie the very last time it aired in the US. I was just a child. I loved it and never forgot it so I spent the next many years searching for it. I know have a copy that I treasure and will buy the new on when it comes out to put up as a collectable. Just a word of advise this movie tends to bore modern kids pretty fast. It starts out like an old black and white movie and only has cartoons during parts of the movie.

RickNWendy said:
Greetings!

Hoping someone can help me out here. I have never seen song of the south, but would like to up my understanding of the splash mountain storyline, so...

I have 2 requests.

First, since I know I am not the only one... can anyone who has the DVD please post some relative storylines? I mean, I know the generalities, but any specifics, etc

SECOND, and more important from my perspective, if anyone is near Destin, FL and has a copy I can borrow, or anyone would be comfortable letting me 'rent' it from them for a few days, please send me an email or a PM - I can work some sort of deposit or something out.

Thanks!

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers.

Has anyone heard that it will be re-released in the near future? A good friend has heard from, he thinks a fairly reliable source, that it will. Anyone else heard this?

wdwdawg

Oh I hope so! That was the last movie I saw with my father shortly before he died in 1972. Sam60, thank you for the recap! I was only 7 when I saw it and couldn't remember too much about it.

No official DVD's of Song of the South (and therefore no assuredly good DVD's of it) are available now.

The best VHS tape you can buy is the European (PAL) version, which appears often on eBay. You must then go to a video production facility in town and have it converted ot U.S. format (NTSC). Some wedding videographers may be able to do this conversion also. Song of the South laserdisks can also be found on eBay but laserdisk players are not all that easy to find.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Mahatma Gandhi, as some of us know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of callouses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis. (Max L. on Hometheaterforum.com)

shannon1219 said:
Just a word of advise this movie tends to bore modern kids pretty fast. It starts out like an old black and white movie and only has cartoons during parts of the movie.

I guess that this is sometimes so but DD (6) loves the movie :sunny:
I bought it off E Bay for some ridiculous amount of money a couple of years ago as it isn't available in the UK either at the moment :sad2:
Alison
:grouphug:

It might be worth noting that the Splash Mountain storyline is based on Uncle Remus' "Tar Baby" story, in which Brair Rabbit is captured by Brair Fox and Brair Bear. Brair Rabbit uses reverse psychology (whatever you do, pleeese don't throw me into the brair patch!) to help him escape.

Johnny later uses the same method to convince Ginny's bullying brothers to complain to their mother about not being able to drown the puppy (the mother promptly gives the two bullies a well deserved spanking). The "Tar Baby" scene has been a problematic story for Disney, in a problematic movie. It is too important to the overall story to remove, yet they have been afraid to release it in the U.S. out of concern for racial sensitivities.

Ironically, this is the very story (minus the tar baby itself) which is used in Splash Mountain. Go figure.

also on that i've read on the website www.songofthesouth.net that there is only 5 mins of speaking in it

Is it possible that they were talking about Bambi? That is the only Disney movie that comes to mind with so little dialogue.

I've seen recently that a new DVD titled The Adventures of Brair Rabbit is now available featuring a who's who of current black actors. I want to see it and have my family see it before we make our 1st :) trip to wdw and ride Splash Mtn. but 22 bucks is kinda steep for me. I remember the story and wish I could get SOTS, but this may be the only substitute available. Check IMDb.

By the way, folks, it's "Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Bear", etc. An abbreviation of "brother".

If you're familiar with torrents, there is a very good, crisp version available for download (for free) through www.mousebits.com - if you're not familiar, register at that site and click on "torrents" at the top. Scan down until you find Song of the South. You'll need a program such as Azureus to download though. Once you have that installed, click on the disc icon (or if you click on the title link and open up the page, click the title again) Choose open, not save. It will then open the download in Azureus. The file you get from Mousebits is basically the "path" that tells Azureus where to find the file. It isn't actually hosted on the site.

Sam60 said:
Song of the South is set in antebellum Georga, and is seen from the perspective of a young boy, Johnny, who moves to his Grandmother's plantation. When Johnny learns that his parents are seperating, he decides to run away from home. But before he gets off the plantation, he meets an elderly slave (?) named Uncle Remus. Uncle Remus is respected on the plantation for his gentle wisdom and his story telling abilities, and he persuades Johnny to return to his mother by telling him tales of Brair Rabbit, especially the time Brair Rabbit ran away from home.

Johnny makes friends with Toby, a black boy about his own age who lives on their plantation, and Ginny, a poor white neighbor. Ginny's two older brothers pick on her, and Johnny has to rescue a puppy that these brothers want to drown. Uncle Remus hides the puppy, and again smoooths things over by telling more Brair Rabbit stories, which have lessons about dealing with difficult people.

Uncle Remus gets in trouble with Johnny's mother for hiding the neighbor's puppy, and she tells him not to speak with Johnny anymore. However, after Ginny's older brothers attack Johnny and Ginny on the way to a party, ruining Ginny's dress, Uncle Remus finds the two crying children and cheers them up with more stories of Brair Rabbit.

Johnny's mother is furious that Uncle Remus disobeyed her, and after the confrontation, he decides to leave the plantation for Atlanta. Seeing him leaving, Johnny races across a fenced field to stop him, but is mauled by a bull in the field. His father returns to the plantation to be near the injured boy, and the father and mother are reconciled. But it is Uncle Remus, telling another story of Brair Rabbit, who brings the boy back to health.

The story is a bit like Mary Poppins- live action, but with the Brair Rabbit stories done in animation.

Regarding the second part or your question...I don't live anywhere near you, and my copy of SOS is not very good anyway. However, you may be interested in this post on the rumors board- it sounds like the film may finally be released on DVD in the U.S.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=748225
I thought it was after the war and Uncle Remus was a sharecropper (even when the movie was made, slavery was pretty un-PC)

Thank you soooo much. That was incredible! That was one of my favs as akid and is now also. I thought I'd never see it again. It took me an incredible amount of time to access it, but it was well worth it.

I don't think Disney wants to deal with the sort of backlash that a re-release of this movie would cause. I don't think it will ever come out of that Disney vault.

oldcrow said:
I don't think Disney wants to deal with the sort of backlash that a re-release of this movie would cause. I don't think it will ever come out of that Disney vault.
I don't think it will, either.

Last year, Turner Classic Films was slated to show Song of the South as a part of a series that dealt with race portrayal in film history. Disney agreed, then got cold feet and pulled the movie.

I agree that they will never let this one out of the Disney vault.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter