Splash Mountain Will Change to Princess and the Frog--WILL OPEN 7/11 as Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no ride in all of Disney that I am so attached to that I would protest its replacement if a group who has historically been oppressed and is currently underrepresented in all facets of society expresses that it is a painful reminder of past suffering and symbol of ongoing discrimination. None.

What you call politically correct, I call compassionate, empathetic, and humane.
Like times one million.

There is no ride in all of Disney that I am so attached to that I would protest its replacement if a group who has historically been oppressed and is currently underrepresented in all facets of society expresses that it is a painful reminder of past suffering and symbol of ongoing discrimination. None.

What you call politically correct, I call compassionate, empathetic, and humane.
Bravo.

I guess I’m in the minority here because I’m not attached to the current theming of Splash. I enjoy the ride, but always felt like I couldn’t make sense of the story and felt the ride was really long. I’m quite excited about the new theming..the songs in Princess and the Frog are amazing. Tiana deserves more representation anyway.

I think this is great news and I'm looking forward to seeing the new theme. I'm in my 40's and I've never seen Song of the South, I have no familiarity with the storyline and I always viewed it as "meh" theming on an otherwise fun flume ride. When we rode it last year with an 8 and 9 year old, the kids had no clue what it was supposed to be about.

The Princess and the Frog theming, with the New Orleans aesthetic, jazz music and Mardi Gras vibe could be a lot of fun. My only hope is that they don't try to make it too dark or scary, since lots of kids like the drops and heights but are sensitive to spooky vibes.

Other than that, though, I'm all for the change.

I'm all for this idea! The only thing I'm peeved about is, they're keeping Frontierland. I would like to see a full New Orleans Square renovation in this area. I've always wished Frontierland could be New Orleans Square.

I'm feeling sad about this news today. It sounds silly but I got a little duck spit in my eyes earlier today over it. Splash Mountain is THE first thrill ride at a Disney park that my kids went on and really enjoyed.

Disney Imagineering does amazing work and I'm sure that the rethemed attraction will be wonderful. Princess & The Frog is one of my favorite movies. I love the music. I love Mama Odie, her snake, Dr. Facilier, the Cajun fireflies, etc., etc. There was a big uproar and outcry at DL when they announced that they were retheming Tower of Terror into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride (which has turned into a big hit at DCA).

I also felt sad when DCA got rid of Bugsland...mostly because I remember how adorable & little & full of wonder my children were when we first took them through Bugsland. I remember us going on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train before the land closed and we started calling it "Slow Choo Choo" (because BTMRR we refer to as "Fast Choo Choo").

I'll get over it. I just have a mild case of the sads over it today. It also makes me think of all the times when my sister & I were little that my mom would get out her Disney song book and play Zipadee Doo Dah on the piano while we danced around the living room.

I'm feeling sad about this news today. It sounds silly but I got a little duck spit in my eyes earlier today over it. Splash Mountain is THE first thrill ride at a Disney park that my kids went on and really enjoyed.

Disney Imagineering does amazing work and I'm sure that the rethemed attraction will be wonderful. Princess & The Frog is one of my favorite movies. I love the music. I love Mama Odie, her snake, Dr. Facilier, the Cajun fireflies, etc., etc. There was a big uproar and outcry at DL when they announced that they were retheming Tower of Terror into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride (which has turned into a big hit at DCA).

I also felt sad when DCA got rid of Bugsland...mostly because I remember how adorable & little & full of wonder my children were when we first took them through Bugsland. I remember us going on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train before the land closed and we started calling it "Slow Choo Choo" (because BTMRR we refer to as "Fast Choo Choo").

I'll get over it. I just have a mild case of the sads over it today. It also makes me think of all the times when my sister & I were little that my mom would get out her Disney song book and play Zipadee Doo Dah on the piano while we danced around the living room.
Tony Baxter is heading the project, same Imagineer that dis Splash and also BTMR, it's in good hands

We're not here to discuss issues of race. This is a discussion thread on the attraction and it's change. Points are being given to repeat offenders and people who cannot stay on topic. Review the DIS guidelines please

Here are my thoughts after thinking about it for a few hours:

I have my doubts about Disney giving this reimagined attraction the budget it deserves, but we can at least be aware that the current version is offensive to some. If the Princess and the Frog version keeps the bones of the attraction intact but improves upon the AAs and projection technology, then everybody wins.

As I said earlier, I’m not holding my breath that Disney allocates a big enough budget to do this one right. But if they do, then we’re all in for a treat.

I am so thrilled with this! I LOVE Princess and the Frog and I think most everyone has been thinking it would be the perfect match for Splash Mountain. I'm not worried about the New Orleans theming out of place since the Brer Rabbit story takes place in Georgia. I doubt they'll even need to change the track or structure at all. The animatronics were mostly cast offs from America Sings anyway so now we'll have newer, modern animatronics. Imagine the indoor area with Ray and all his family of fireflies, The music, Mama Odie...oooh, maybe we'll even get a beignet cart outside! Now we need a Tangled ride somewhere!

I hope you all got your Splash Gear.... being erased off Disney store, and YourWDWstore and MagicalEarCollectibles have all been swiped nearly clean... eBay has limited selection of price gouged items though..

I think this was a long time coming. Disney will do their best to keep everyone happy with the necessary changes, have faith and trust in the pixie dust.

Here are my thoughts after thinking about it for a few hours:

I have my doubts about Disney giving this reimagined attraction the budget it deserves, but we can at least be aware that the current version is offensive to some. If the Princess and the Frog version keeps the bones of the attraction intact but improves upon the AAs and projection technology, then everybody wins.

As I said earlier, I’m not holding my breath that Disney allocates a big enough budget to do this one right. But if they do, then we’re all in for a treat.
This is probably going to be a sequel to Journey into Imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter