Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let’s say there was no petition and no nationwide movement right now and disney announced this. Would it still be an agenda? This change really isn’t that much different from Maelstrom becoming Frozen. Epcot purists didn’t like that one.

Well, come on, rteetz, there's a bit of a difference in Maelstrom and Splash Mountain. One is a bona-fide classic, the other a footnote. At least Frozen makes sense where they put it.

I'm having a hilarious time getting drenched in some of these tears.

Anyway, I'll be first in line in my NOLA shirt.

ETA: I'm especially excited that Charita Carter is heading this project. Her enthusiasm for Imagineering shines through even in the little promo bits I've seen with her.

Tiana deserves a ride and a restaurant in the MK. I wish she had gotten a brand new one, but I think this will be spectacular once it's complete. I said in the other thread (I think) that they need to kill Diamond Horseshoe and make it a French Quarter themed restaurant. And get rid of the dumb shooting game thing, too.

Thank you! The incredible outrage over this particular attraction has not gone unnoticed.

It's sad really. I like thee ride and wish it wouldn't change but I totally undderstand why some people have issues with it and its roots and why it needs to change.

And also sad this thread is likely going to have to be locked soon. I wasn't a fan of some of the other changes like maelstrom to frozen but never seen a response like this.

They changed ONE scene in Pirates...they didn't redo the entire ride...and yes as a matter of fact i thought that was ridiculous too....so go ahead and call me some kind of derogatory name because I disagree with you...par for the course

I don't call people names.

So let’s say there was no petition and no nationwide movement right now and disney announced this. Would it still be an agenda? This change really isn’t that much different from Maelstrom becoming Frozen. Epcot purists didn’t like that one.
Oh yeah! I remember that! It seems like the good old days now. There was certainly a lot less rage among posters back then.

That’s belittling the legitimate concerns with Splash (and PP for that matter).

I hadn't seen PP in years and was appalled at it when my 8-year-old finally watched it.

Oh. Then you missed it.

The outrage over Pirates change was spectacular!!! I permanently ignored people from that one! People were videoing themselves booing (among other things) during the new scene...
:D

That was amazing, wasn't it. Like people were going to cancel their APs and sell their DVC points over Redd the lady pirate.

I definitely have that sentiment and I own it. The point is that this ride is a favorite theme park ride to many and a symbol of our racist past to many. If your argument against changing it is Disney history, or a favorite ride, that is such an insignificant thing. But a symbol of racism is not. To use an analogy, if someone was drawing a Nazi symbol all over because they like the design, then it would be just a design to them, but a painful and threatening reminder to others. The two sides are not in equipoise. One is clearly more important.

To be fair, I can understanding changing it - but it's what htey are changing it to that is a problem, at least in MK. I still prefer the idea of reclaiming the folktales and making them something new and palatable to today's audience. It could have been done, but instead they are taking a very easy and lazy route and I am afraid that the final product will reflect that. In the end I just want it to be GOOD.

But don't a lot of kids also love Br'er Rabbit solely because of the ride. It's been mentioned on this thread. Any way you slice it, someone's favorite is getting the short end of the stick.

On my last trip a young boy with mental disabilities had a Br'er Rabbit doll and when he saw the characters come out, he shook with excitement, ran past the handlers and hugged them. He was the first person I thought of when I heard this news.

Tiana deserves a ride and a restaurant in the MK. I wish she had gotten a brand new one, but I think this will be spectacular once it's complete. I said in the other thread (I think) that they need to kill Diamond Horseshoe and make it a French Quarter themed restaurant. And get rid of the dumb shooting game thing, too.

I want a full blown Tiana’s place at Reflections (if it ever gets built). I love the premise of the original idea, but it could be much, much better

I wonder if she does get a restaurant, depending on the future of Reflections. Wasn’t there supposed to be one in there?

Gotta disagree here, my man.

Splash is an undisputed classic. Considered maybe the most beloved attraction on property.

Maelstrom (which I loved) was a fairly forgotten walk-on every time. People only start professing their undying love for it after the change was announced.

I hadn't seen PP in years and was appalled at it when my 8-year-old finally watched it.

That was amazing, wasn't it. Like people were going to cancel their APs and sell their DVC points over Redd the lady pirate.

I remember reading the comments to my boyfriend...:crazy2:

I agree 100%. I wish she could have gotten a new ride but this sounds like it'll be awesome. And Diamond Horseshoe is hot garbage anyway, it would be great to give her a restaurant there (Reflections was dumb and weird and I'm glad that got axed). With those Mickey beignets from POFQ!

Oh. Then you missed it.

The outrage over Pirates change was spectacular!!! I permanently ignored people from that one! People were videoing themselves booing (among other things) during the new scene...
:D
Yes! There was a ton of outrage over the Pirates change and lots of discussion and arguments for and against.

🤔It won the Academy Award for best original song in 1947, had 4 different top 20 renditions of it on the Billboard charts and was part of the opening music for the Wonderful World of Disney tv show for years...

Right. But its origin is in minstrelsy and the original language of the song it's a derivative of is horrible.

Edited to remove the direct link to the tweet, since the way the thread shows on the board led to confusion and distraction from the tweet I was referencing. You can find the tweet on @shawngorlando's account, though, and dive into the thread if you'd like.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 2.21.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 1.58.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Well, come on, rteetz, there's a bit of a difference in Maelstrom and Splash Mountain. One is a bona-fide classic, the other a footnote. At least Frozen makes sense where they put it.
I know that but at the same time you will never make everyone happy. I absolutely love Splash Mountain but I’m also not going on a tirade because it’s changing. I’ve been going to WDW since I’ve been 8 months old.

Gotta disagree here, my man.

Splash is an undisputed classic. Considered maybe the most beloved attraction on property.

Maelstrom (which I loved) was a fairly forgotten walk-on every time. People only start professing their undying love for it after the change was announced.
I don't know about this... I agree it was loved but I was always able to get a same-day fastpass and the lines were never as long as the other E-tickets. I never really saw lines over an hour even when the park was busy, even on hot days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter