Splash Mountain....how wet?

I've never gotten soaked, but I always end up in the back left for some reason. Every. Single. Time.

I have ridden in all seats on Splash and never gotten more than, well, splashed. :). Never soaked.

Small children if they sit in the front will be pretty soaked. I remember buying a new shirt for my sister (when she was younger) because otherwise she was shivering.

Truly a crap shoot. I have been soaked in February riding in the front with two small kids.

Depends on these variables:

Your seat - front gets a lot more wet than the back, right side front the worst

Weight of guests - a heavier boat will displace more water up onto the riders at the bottom of the drop than a lighter boat. Also, if the front is loaded much heavier than the back, watch out!

Rain - the water level makes a big difference, as we always got more soaked after a big rainstorm, or when it had rained all night, etc. You can tell when you go into the 'water splashing' room, so if water is sloshing way over the rails and into the attraction design, beware!

The only time that we ever get wet enough to even need a napkin anymore is if we are in the front two rows and there is no one else in the boat with us. I really miss the water cannons that used to drench us.

This was us on our last visit. Late night ride, front row, no one else in our log.wet enough to notice but not enough to need to change clothes. Definitely wetter than our rides in the middle and back rows earlier that day.

It depends on where you sit. If you're in the front row, you'll get a little wet, but not extremely wet, whereas back row, you'll barely get wet at all.
+1

Truly a crap shoot. I have been soaked in February riding in the front with two small kids.

We're going in December for our first winter visit and will use ponchos unless it's our last ride of the night.

Maybe it wasn't my day, but first thing, our log was stopped near the end by the waterfall as the boats were stacking up, I got completely soaked, dh not so much.
I had to leave and completely change clothes - no way can I go around soaked until I dry (this was in April). I 'was not' a happy camper! >:( I have not ridden it since. So, I can say with experience, you take your chances when you ride, so just be aware!!
This is what I mentioned in my post.. I just sit on the left side now because we have been stopped at that waterfall almost every time! Lol

I've come off this ride with barely 1 drop of water on me and completely drenched...and everything in-between!

They can vary the splash output, and I've heared there are three or four "levels" of splash they can vary... we rode it thirteen or fourteen times over the course of 5 days - Front row... middle... back... Front row more often than not, there were times we'd be completely dry... sometimes a little wet - But the one that stuck with me the most was one of our last rides of the trip where I swear the front of the log completely submerged itself in water and popped up again like a submarine - We were completely and absolutely soaked to the bone, head to toe; our shoes and socks were so wet we had to wring them out - Our clothes were like we'd been swimming in the ocean with them...!!

I've been completely soaked to the bone, as in, hair dripping, jeans completely soaking wet. This was in May 2011 during an odd cold snap. We had to leave the park because we were soaked and freezing. If you are in the front row the water has a tendency to wave over the top of the log and land in your lap. I was more wet from the bottom down than the top up after the drops, and then I got blasted with the water cannon. It was kind of a miserable experience.

I've also only been drenched in hot weather. When it's cooler, they seem to have the ability to "turn down" the amount of water.
This is correct. In cooler weather they turn off the water cannons that appear to be "splashes" from other boats throw that go down the main drop onto boats before the first lift. They also turn off the waterfall that splashes water into the boat on the rider's right that's after the big drop. But even in January you can still end up pretty wet from the main drop itself.

This is correct. In cooler weather they turn off the water cannons that throw water onto boats before the first lift as well as the waterfall that splashes water into the boat on the rider's right that's after the big drop. But even in January you can still end up pretty wet from the main drop itself.

That's a common myth, as well.
There is not really "big splash" at the bottom of the main drop.
During the big drop, the log is actually riding on a metal track, above the water.

The reason guests get wet from the bottom of the main drop is that there are powered water jets in the "cave" that spray guests faces.

That big "splash" that guests see outside the attraction when some logs go down the big drop comes from another electric water cannon firing AWAY from the guests in the logs.

That's a common myth, as well.
There is not really "big splash" at the bottom of the main drop.
During the big drop, the log is actually riding on a metal track, above the water.

The reason guests get wet from the bottom of the main drop is that there are powered water jets in the "cave" that spray guests faces.

That big "splash" that guests see outside the attraction when some logs go down the big drop comes from another electric water cannon firing AWAY from the guests in the logs.
I am aware of the water cannons at the base of the ride that fire at the walkway that goes past the attraction and the jets used to increase the wetness of the ride, as well the fact that the boat is on a track during the drop itself. But the fact remains that at the bottom, when the boat re-contacts with the water, there is action/reaction wave motion (as with traditional "flume rides") that can and does cause water to "splash" on passengers that can make people more than damp. It can be seen at the 8:28 mark of this video. Heck I've also gotten hit by secondary waves (8:32 mark) as we approached the bend after the drop. We've gotten plenty wet from such back-slash in colder times when all of the enhancements were turned off. This is what I was referring to.

Last edited:
I am aware of the water cannons at the base of the ride that fire at the walkway that goes past the attraction and the jets used to increase the wetness of the ride, as well the fact that the boat is on a track during the drop itself. But the fact remains that at the bottom, when the boat re-contacts with the water, there is action/reaction wave motion (as with traditional "flume rides") that can and does cause water to "splash" on passengers that can make people more than damp. It can be seen at the 8:28 mark of this video. Heck I've also gotten hit by secondary waves (8:32 mark) as we approached the bend after the drop. We've gotten plenty wet from such back-slash in colder times when all of the enhancements were turned off. This is what I was referring to.
You can say that again!!! Those slosh waves can be doosies sometimes.

You can say that again!!! Those slosh waves can be doosies sometimes.
Yeah, I love those! You think you're home-free and then a couple of seconds later one of those things comes up and over the side of the boat!

Just go with the attitude, I might not get wet..I might get damp..I might get very wet..just have fun... I've Ben dry getting off and I've been dripping wet get off, suspense..see what happens

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter