Splash Mountain had no water running down the drop Wed

shinysparklybubbles

DIS Veteran
I will post pics in a bit but on Wednesday Splash was closed, boats were still running but there was no water coming down the drop. It was very odd to see!

Splash was down multiple times today, but was still running normally when it was running.

Yesterday was our last day but we spend the portion of the day we had at the MK and the first time we went to redeem our fast passes it was down, but we went back about 30 minutes later and it was running again and we rode. DD is finally not scared of it anymore!

It was too cold to ride Splash last Tuesday! Once the sun went down it was pretty chilly. But overall they have been shutting down Splash during evening EmH so it makes sense that it's closed for the parties unless for some reason it was still really warm!

Splash was down multiple times today, but was still running normally when it was running.

I walked by many times yesterday, and in the morning it had water running down, but yesterday around 5, the boats were running but no water coming down. And yeah I remember it went down many times yesterday. I guess it can still run without the water on the drop.

And Splash Mountain was "dry" and not operating at least one day the week of Oct.15th. I wonder what the problem is:confused3. It was warm and perfect weather when it was closed down then.

Splash Mountain is not scheduled for refurb until Jan - Mar. During our trip. :sad1:

saturn5 said:
I walked by many times yesterday, and in the morning it had water running down, but yesterday around 5, the boats were running but no water coming down. And yeah I remember it went down many times yesterday. I guess it can still run without the water on the drop.

I saw this too! That cant make for a fun landing.

The water running down the drop is for aesthetics only, and has no impact on the actual functioning of the ride itself. The water on the drop is run by what's called a show pump. The boat itself runs down the drop on wheels. The run out (where the boat hits the water) water is provided by a different pumping system.

As a full disclosure, this information is based off of my experience with Arrow flume rides. (having worked on one for two full seasons) I have never operated a ride at Magic Kingdom, but as many MANY mechanical aspects of the rides at Disney were originally built by Arrow (Pirates, small world, dumbo, big thunder, etc), I am assuming the technology is very similar. Most amusement park rides are.

Its odd that they would have the show pump off at Disney World though. As for me Disney goes to the next level about the average amusement park and cares about the SHOW aspect, instead of just making sure the mechanical rides work.

Jennifer

Its odd that they would have the show pump off at Disney World though. As for me Disney goes to the next level about the average amusement park and cares about the SHOW aspect, instead of just making sure the mechanical rides work.

Jennifer

If the water is off, they aren't letting guests ride. They may have had to drain the water to repair something. Safety comes before show.

Splash has been having a lot of issues because it didn't get its refurbishment this year. Hopefully it can make it to January.

HallGirl said:
If the water is off, they aren't letting guests ride. They may have had to drain the water to repair something. Safety comes before show.

Splash has been having a lot of issues because it didn't get its refurbishment this year. Hopefully it can make it to January.

Not true regarding the first part for water on the drop. We saw this occur in September. The ride was down for a brief period. During the hour after it reopened it ran sans water on the drop.

We just got back 10/29 - 11/2 and it seemed like Splash Mountain was shut down most of those days. All day on Tues 10/30, and multiple times on 10/31, 11/1, and 11/2.
Love the ride, but it's showing it's age.

All that I can add if it hasn't been stated already, is that Splash Mountain will be closed for refurbishment within the next few months...

Meriweather said:
It was down Tuesday for MNSSHP :(

We rode splash at the party on Tuesday, so maybe it was down just when u walked by it?

I will say tho, the water was not running down the drop when we went down or for anyone else when we were near it. And let me tell you, when there is no water.... That log flies down fast!!!!

We rode splash at the party on Tuesday, so maybe it was down just when u walked by it?

I will say tho, the water was not running down the drop when we went down or for anyone else when we were near it. And let me tell you, when there is no water.... That log flies down fast!!!!

Interesting, we were specifically told by the CM at Splash that it wouldn't be working at nights for the parties. I never saw it running Tuesday or Wednesday nights this past week.

Interesting, we were specifically told by the CM at Splash that it wouldn't be working at nights for the parties. I never saw it running Tuesday or Wednesday nights this past week.

We always ride splash during the parties. It's one of our favorite times to ride! Hope it is open for MVMCP!

wasn't there a thread a month-ish ago that said it they would stop running Splash for parties in certain months? I want to say it was in December.

wasn't there a thread a month-ish ago that said it they would stop running Splash for parties in certain months? I want to say it was in December.

That's very possible, though I don't recall reading that specific thread. When we walked up to Frontierland one of the CMs was telling everyone that both Splash and Big Thunder were down. I actually thought I misheard them, so I went back to ask again and was told, "Big Thunder is currently having mechanical issues and Splash isn't operating at night." Of course we all know some CMs get info confused at times, so perhaps that was off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter