Splash Mountain , a little TOO splashy??

We usually get pretty wet on Splash Mountain. It's all part of the fun. One should expect to get wet on a ride entitled SPLASH Mountain! :lmao:

I have got to agree with that! :goodvibes

I personally did not go on Splash (hubby and son rode it a lot) due to mobility issues (getting up and down). Hubby and son got a little wet, never soaked.

On KRR @ AK we all went together twice, as it is easier to board. I got so wet at one point that I could not have been any wetter if I had stepped into the shower fully clothed! :)

It (getting wet) is simply part of riding water rides. On a hot day it is great :thumbsup2, on a cooler day... not so much!

Splash we got Soaked.. During our MNSSHP we were in our log not bothering a soul and was watching another log go down the plunge. We were laughing and all of the sudden the water from the other log comes back up and soaks us:sad1: :hug:

Either they've made the ride splashier, or we were just lucky. (I always wear jeans, and I HATE having them wet.) We rode SM a few times in the mid 1990's and never got too wet. It was in January and March, with temps ranging from 65-80. I don't remember squirters being on.

They changed the water effects so that you get hit with a water cannon when you sit at the bottom of a lift hill directly next to people coming down the main drop. Stand and watch for a while outside at the front of the ride, and you'll see people get absolutely drenched log after log from that cannon. Sometimes it totally misses, though, it just depends on the timing of the logs coming down the drop.

This is something new, within the last year and a half. I sincerely hope they turn it off for the winter.

If not, it will sure cut down on lines!

We ride SM at least a few times every trip, and rarely do we get wet- an occasional sneaker might get filled up with water, but I expect to get wet. Unfortunately we don't. For those of you who think you "get soaked" on SM, take a ride on Popeye's Bil-barges at IOA.....not one person gets off that ride without having every spot on their clothes soaked to the gills! I don't think I've ever been on a wetter rider- except at a water park! :lmao:

Can't they leave well enough alone??

Now I don't even want to ride it! Nothing worse than heavy wet jeans and squishy socks and tennis shoes!

WHY do amusement parks assume people want to get SOAKED?? :sad2:

They changed the water effects so that you get hit with a water cannon when you sit at the bottom of a lift hill directly next to people coming down the main drop. Stand and watch for a while outside at the front of the ride, and you'll see people get absolutely drenched log after log from that cannon. Sometimes it totally misses, though, it just depends on the timing of the logs coming down the drop.

This is something new, within the last year and a half. I sincerely hope they turn it off for the winter.

If not, it will sure cut down on lines!

YES Thank you soo much for saying this! I wonder when that Water Cannon was added.

I LOVE Splash Mountain and my son and I would ride it non-stop at Disneyland. One time at DL, we rode until the park closed. We may get a little wet here and there, but not bad at all.

SO - last Nov. with our first visit to WDW, we rode it first. We rode down the big drop - a few sprinkles, great ride, it's pretty much over, right? Then, I got DRENCHED by that water cannon. I can take a little water - it is a water ride - but I must say this really bummed me out. I was soaked through, hair drenched - clothes - brrrr in Nov. Just didn't expect that.

YES Thank you soo much for saying this! I wonder when that Water Cannon was added.

I LOVE Splash Mountain and my son and I would ride it non-stop at Disneyland. One time at DL, we rode until the park closed. We may get a little wet here and there, but not bad at all.

SO - last Nov. with our first visit to WDW, we rode it first. We rode down the big drop - a few sprinkles, great ride, it's pretty much over, right? Then, I got DRENCHED by that water cannon. I can take a little water - it is a water ride - but I must say this really bummed me out. I was soaked through, hair drenched - clothes - brrrr in Nov. Just didn't expect that.

Wasnt the water cannon always there? I've been thinking and I cant remember a time the cannon wasnt there.

Wasnt the water cannon always there? I've been thinking and I cant remember a time the cannon wasnt there.

I thought the same thing- I always remember seeing some type of water cannon. The other thought I would like to add is that most all theme parks have some type of deal where people can put money in the gun or cannon and aim it to try and soak people. Six Flags (at least the one near me) does, I KNOW SW does, and well as I mentioned above, it doesn't matter at IOA on popeye's because you are guarenteed to get soaked.

I rode Splash Mountain two times last week. Before that, the last time I rode it was in 2005. I was drenched the first time last week, not much the second time last week and certainly not at all in 2005. Originally, I was working with the first and second flume loading idea as part of my drenching theory. When we first went last week, we were in the front flume, with a second flume behind us. When we went around the bend and just sat there, I knew when the flume came down the big drop were were doomed.:sad2:
And we got drenched!!

The second time we went on, we were in the rear flume when the two were loaded. We got wet, but not as bad as the first time. So maybe the flume timing also adds something to the cannon shooting theory? Who ever thought rides could be so scientific? :confused3

Nikita

Wow people. The ride is called Splash Mountain, and you don't like it because you get wet? :confused3 They have how many signs up telling you you will get soaked? And if that isn't a big enough tip off, all you have to do is look at the log before you get in. Water inside the log? Guess what! You will get wet!:goodvibes

I rode Splash with my dad last month. We sat in the second row, and we got soaked! The guy in front of us told us that it could have been worse, he blocked most of the water with his face!:rotfl2: By that point, we were already so wet from the water cannons that it didn't really matter. But we loved every second of it!:thumbsup2

I'm sorry that some of you don't like to get wet, but it IS a water ride! Don't forget, you can always put on a poncho so that you don't get too horribly wet.

Yes, we know it is a water ride. It is just a curiousity if it has gotten "wetter" - that's all. Also, I KNOW that Splash Mountain at Disneyland does not get you as wet. Honestly, in the winter months, it just means I won't go on it which is a bummer for me because it is one of my favorite rides. We will be there on the 15th - so I'll either bring a poncho, or not go at all.

We have never experienced Splash Mountain because I don't want to get drenched! I really want to ride it, but the thought of walking around soaked has stopped me every time! :eek:
I had almost talked myself into giving it a try this trip...now, I'm not so sure...:scared:

We rode it for the first time in August. I hate, hate, hate to be splashed with water. Absolutely detest it. But there was no line so we decided to ride. It was early in the day - probably not even 10 AM. I got SOAKED. I was in the 2nd row (not sure if there was a log in front of us or not), DS was beside me and DH was in front of DS. I was on the right side of the log, and what drenched me was water coming from above my right shoulder. My butt was soaked, the entire right side of my shirt (from shoulder to waist) was soaked. Then when we went down the big drop I got a full-on splash in the face. I don't think the frontal splash was as bad as the one from the side, though. I was wet until 4 PM. And it was AUGUST! There isn't enough money in the world to get me on that ride in cold weather.

The SM in Tokyo Disneyland also doesn't get you very wet, but then again, WDW is the hottest of all the parks that currently have a SM ride, so it makes sense that the WDW SM is the wettest--it cools guests off!

Personally, I don't think that SM is wet ENOUGH! I have long noticed that the funny plow shapes of the boats tend to push water away. They have clearly be engineered not to be TOO drenching.

Now, go on Ripsaw Falls at Islands of Adventure. That's a wet ride--you literally can't get off that thing without a guaranteed drenching. SeaWorld's Journey to Atlantis is downright diabolical; it seems designed purely to soak, with several places where the rippling water is intentionally forced back on you. (Disney's rides tend to divert most rippling water away from the boats.) And the wettest ride I've ever been on is Valhalla at Pleasure Beach in Blackpool, England. That boat ride literally cruises beneath a curtain of cold water--you can't help but come away soaked. I've always thought it was strange that the wettest ride I've been on is in one of the chilliest countries, yet many of the rides in Central Florida, a hot place, pull their punches quite a bit.

Compared to all these flume rides, SM is tame, tame, tame. SM's drenchings seem more like the luck of the draw.
pirate:

The one in Florida is a lot wetter than the cali version. I like it being so wet! Makes it more thrilling.

We rode it for the first time in August. I hate, hate, hate to be splashed with water. Absolutely detest it. But there was no line so we decided to ride. It was early in the day - probably not even 10 AM. I got SOAKED. I was in the 2nd row (not sure if there was a log in front of us or not), DS was beside me and DH was in front of DS. I was on the right side of the log, and what drenched me was water coming from above my right shoulder. My butt was soaked, the entire right side of my shirt (from shoulder to waist) was soaked. Then when we went down the big drop I got a full-on splash in the face. I don't think the frontal splash was as bad as the one from the side, though. I was wet until 4 PM. And it was AUGUST! There isn't enough money in the world to get me on that ride in cold weather.

You do get much wetter when you are sitting on the right side of the log. You catch all of the extras. The water cannon, the little waterfall after the big drop.

In my experience, Disney does turn the water effects down when it is cold. We went on Splash last year during a Mnsshp, when it was freezing cold. We did not get a drop of water on us. That is one time I was grateful not to get wet. If you think you might want to ride, just watch some of the people getting off. That is how you can tell how on the water features are. Dry people, water features off, and you can ride!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter