Splash has lap bars now, yes or no? Other thread has conflicting reports...

Mugglemama

DIS Veteran
I haven't been to DLR since Summer of 2010, but am going in 2 weeks.

In another thread, one person mentioned that the logs *do* have lapbars (as a result of that last major refurb, I'm guessing), and even mentioned that they make it more difficult to get into the ride....but then another person said there were NO lapbars at all. :confused3

So, does Splash now have lapbars? Or does it not?

If so, does anyone have photos of the ride with the lapbars?

TIA!! :goodvibes

No lap bars when I rode it this past summer! :thumbsup2

WDW has lap bars, maybe that is why people are confused?

No lap bars. Just the same "hold on for dear life" bars that have always been there on the inside sides of your log.

We rode it in December in Disneyland and it was a single rider log with no lapbars.

We rode Splash at WDW in October and it was double rider logs with lapbars you pulldown after you sitdown.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm glad to hear it. I'm not sure how I'd feel about being "locked in" on a water ride. It makes me uneasy now, just thinking about it. :guilty:

Thanks again for the clarification!

Yes, new in WDW only.

Have you ridden the WDW version since the lapbars were installed?

We're planning to stop at WDW for a day during a cross-country road trip next year...and one of the things I was looking forward to most is Splash Mountain (call me silly, but the side-by-side seating just makes it look more fun :) ).

But now I'm kind of weirding-out about it :eek: . I think it might be kind of scary to be "locked in" on a water ride. If you've ridden it...did you feel like you could "escape" from it if you had to? Like, in an emergency?

We're planning to stop at WDW for a day during a cross-country road trip next year...and one of the things I was looking forward to most is Splash Mountain (call me silly, but the side-by-side seating just makes it look more fun :) ).

But now I'm kind of weirding-out about it :eek: . I think it might be kind of scary to be "locked in" on a water ride. If you've ridden it...did you feel like you could "escape" from it if you had to? Like, in an emergency?

WOW!! I never thought of it like that!!!!:scared1: NOw I'm a little scared too! I have a worst case scenario thing. Where I over analyze the worst case scenario until I can figure out how I can fix it. Now tonight I will be trying to figure out how I would be able to get it out of it!!!:rotfl:

WOW!! I never thought of it like that!!!!:scared1: NOw I'm a little scared too! I have a worst case scenario thing. Where I over analyze the worst case scenario until I can figure out how I can fix it. Now tonight I will be trying to figure out how I would be able to get it out of it!!!:rotfl:

What is the worst case senario?

Jack

Again, I want to reiterate that there are NOT lap bars at the Splash Mountain here in California. WDW in Florida has them, Disneyland does NOT.

I have actually been evacuated from Splash here in Disneyland when the ride stalled. The logs are secure in the flume. There are only a few inches on each side between the vehicle and the wall. It's not like you could ever "roll" a log over or anything like that, and the water is very shallow. When we were stalled, a CM came by one by one and helped us step out of the logs and then we walked along the flume and out of the emergency exits.

For those of you that are freaking yourselves out about this, I encourage you to do a Google image search or watch a ride video on YouTube. Maybe seeing the layout of the ride and ride vehicle will help calm you!

I have actually been evacuated from Splash here in Disneyland when the ride stalled. The logs are secure in the flume. There are only a few inches on each side between the vehicle and the wall. It's not like you could ever "roll" a log over or anything like that, and the water is very shallow. When we were stalled, a CM came by one by one and helped us step out of the logs and then we walked along the flume and out of the emergency exits.

My family has been evacuated from Splash, too. No big deal. I wasn't worried a log would "roll" (I've been riding the thing for 20 years...), but I'm still not in love with the idea of being locked in. I'll go to the WDW board and ask my last question about the ride...don't want there being any more confusion over which park has them.

For those of you that are freaking yourselves out about this, I encourage you to do a Google image search or watch a ride video on YouTube. Maybe seeing the layout of the ride and ride vehicle will help calm you!

I'm not sure who it is you're addressing here :confused3. I've ridden the ride many, many times....so watching a video isn't really going to make any difference. I'm not "freaked out", I simply asked a question since I am accustomed to the unrestricted seating arrangement at DLR. Again, somebody mentioned the lapbars at WDW, so I just thought I'd ask a question about it. Like I said, I'll go re-ask it on the WDW board.

There's no need to be scared. The Disneyland logs are fine (I've never been to WDW, but my guess is that their logs are fine, too)...we've been on the ones at DLR dozens and dozens of times, and I've never ONCE felt like there was the slightest danger. I actually liked them better when they weren't separate seats and the logs were a lot more "open" (although I *didn't* love getting stuck in the same log with a gross couple who acted like they needed to conceive a child on the ride..:rolleyes1) Don't stress....it is such a fun ride!!

It's this thing my Dh says I do. For instance when we go to DL the first thing I do is show the girls what a cast member looks like and what to do if they get lost. Plan A and Plan B of our safety plans. I couldn't imagine traveling some where I had never seen before with the kids. When we went to DL for the first time I google street viewed Harbor and BWPPI so I knew where we going and about how far away things were from each other. What the crosswalks look like that we'll be crossing. But it's all set up very easy for families, I thought. As a Mommy you always worry about your kids. :confused3
I understand that SM doesn't have the bars. I wouldn't really worry about that one not as much as the girls getting lost or separated from us in the park. OP's depiction of being stuck with the bar was a little scary! LOL! I'll be the Mommy whose kids are in matching colored shirts so that I can count them quickly. :thumbsup2

It's this thing my Dh says I do. For instance when we go to DL the first thing I do is show the girls what a cast member looks like and what to do if they get lost. Plan A and Plan B of our safety plans. I couldn't imagine traveling some where I had never seen before with the kids. When we went to DL for the first time I google street viewed Harbor and BWPPI so I knew where we going and about how far away things were from each other. What the crosswalks look like that we'll be crossing. But it's all set up very easy for families, I thought. As a Mommy you always worry about your kids. :confused3
I understand that SM doesn't have the bars. I wouldn't really worry about that one not as much as the girls getting lost or separated from us in the park. OP's depiction of being stuck with the bar was a little scary! LOL! I'll be the Mommy whose kids are in matching colored shirts so that I can count them quickly. :thumbsup2

I totally relate to your methodology, lol. We are planning a HUGE cross-country trip next year...HUGE. And I am also studying Google street views for places like NYC, etc. where we will be navigating a giant city that we've never been to...and I am going to do our exact planned routes through Manhattan in street view with my kids multiple times, too, so that we *all* have a very solid understanding of the ground we'll be covering.

As to the depiction of being stuck on Splash Mtn.....you know, I never once thought about it until I read a post here on THIS board, by somebody else who was voicing an unsettled feeling over the idea. I'm still going to ride the lapbar version at WDW when we go next Summer...I just like to know what to expect.

And don't stress about the kids getting lost....you would not believe how many parents in the parks are seriously not paying attention to where their tiny kids are running off to...evidently it always turns out ok, or it would be on the news, lol. Having been born and raised not far from DLR, I've never seen a news report of such an incident. If you're paying attention, they won't get separated from you. Last time we went we had our nieces with us as well...6 kids altogether and 4 of them were under 10 (and hubby couldn't help me manage them because he was pushing his mom in a wheelchair..). It was the middle of Summer and super crowded...and nobody got separated from the group. Don't get me wrong...it was an effort in certain areas (like Adventureland), but we never came close to losing anybody.

I hope you have a great time! :)

Disneyland does NOT have lap bars.
Disneyworld DOES have lap bars.

OK, whew! Sorry about that. I read nearly everything, and I guess I got confused and thought that DL had done it at the same time that MK had done it.

And then people were talking about holding on to some sort of handle, and I've never noticed a handle, or don't remember noticing one, so there ya go.

No I haven't been to WDW since they added them. Though I have been there a lot. I'm not sure why they felt need to add them to that ride. It worked fine for 2 decades without lap bars. I personally probably went on it 15 times and didn't fall out and neither did my friends, family members or anyone else in my log.

The main thing to remember is labars are not in DL, and there is no reason to thing they could come. In the ride vehicle sense they are totally different attractions.

I totally relate to your methodology, lol. We are planning a HUGE cross-country trip next year...HUGE. And I am also studying Google street views for places like NYC, etc. where we will be navigating a giant city that we've never been to...and I am going to do our exact planned routes through Manhattan in street view with my kids multiple times, too, so that we *all* have a very solid understanding of the ground we'll be covering.

I know it's just LA but when you have never been on vacation with your children you just want to cover all you bases! I can't imagine NY! That would be so much fun!

As to the depiction of being stuck on Splash Mtn.....you know, I never once thought about it until I read a post here on THIS board, by somebody else who was voicing an unsettled feeling over the idea. I'm still going to ride the lapbar version at WDW when we go next Summer...I just like to know what to expect.

Not too worried about it. I need to brave and just ride the ride! Maybe this year! ;)

And don't stress about the kids getting lost....you would not believe how many parents in the parks are seriously not paying attention to where their tiny kids are running off to...evidently it always turns out ok, or it would be on the news, lol. Having been born and raised not far from DLR, I've never seen a news report of such an incident. If you're paying attention, they won't get separated from you. Last time we went we had our nieces with us as well...6 kids altogether and 4 of them were under 10 (and hubby couldn't help me manage them because he was pushing his mom in a wheelchair..). It was the middle of Summer and super crowded...and nobody got separated from the group. Don't get me wrong...it was an effort in certain areas (like Adventureland), but we never came close to losing anybody.

Adventureland is always where I am the most aware of our surroundings! It's more narrow there. I always tell our girls look out for the big people because they aren't looking for you. :laughing:

I hope you have a great time! :)
Tanks! You too!:goodvibes

I have been on Splash Mtn in WDW since they added the lap bars (Sept 2011). I felt more secure with the lap bars, but not having them in DL won't stop me from riding it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter