Spirit

So we usually fly Spirit every year from DTW to MCO. We've never had an issue and their customer service has been fine. This past January we flew Frontier for the first time on our way home from MCO and I would say the two airlines are very similar. The main difference for me was Spirit has a 40 lb. weight limit on their checked bags (Frontier and most other airlines are 50 lbs.) and Frontier only had 1 flight per day from MCO-DTW where SPirit had several, so I was a bit nervous about having issues if there were any flight cancellations. But everything went fine on both flights. Most people who complain about Spirit have never used them, or heard horror stories second, third hand, etc. I don't care if I'm being nickel and dimed - even with checking 2 bags we usually pay about $500 less for our family of 4 to fly to Florida vs. a legacy carrier so I'm happy to bring on my own water bottle to save $500. You can have issues with ANY airline if flights are cancelled and you need to get rebooked on another flight but they're all full. Your odds of issues with rebooking with increase if the airline has limited flights between the 2 cities that you need to fly. We've had issues with United when our flight was cancelled, we didn't end up getting another flight for 24 hours and we had to stay an extra night. It's just the way it is with traveling, you need to take the good with the bad sometimes! If you're used to Frontier, I wouldn't worry about Spirit at all!
Our experience with Frontier has been pretty positive as well. I think St Louis might have been one of the places to get some of the new planes though-I swear the plane we flew on Oct '17 had just been put in service.
OTOH - the last 4 times I've flown United it has been delayed-sometimes so long we missed connecting flights: coming home from las vegas in January our flight from Las vegas to denver delayed so long we missed connecting flight home, then rebooked flight was also very delayed. Last time we flew southwest also delayed. So the legacy carriers-while seeming to have great rep in peoples minds-have NOT been as good as on time flights as our experience with Frontier...

So we usually fly Spirit every year from DTW to MCO. We've never had an issue and their customer service has been fine. This past January we flew Frontier for the first time on our way home from MCO and I would say the two airlines are very similar. The main difference for me was Spirit has a 40 lb. weight limit on their checked bags (Frontier and most other airlines are 50 lbs.) and Frontier only had 1 flight per day from MCO-DTW where SPirit had several, so I was a bit nervous about having issues if there were any flight cancellations. But everything went fine on both flights. Most people who complain about Spirit have never used them, or heard horror stories second, third hand, etc. I don't care if I'm being nickel and dimed - even with checking 2 bags we usually pay about $500 less for our family of 4 to fly to Florida vs. a legacy carrier so I'm happy to bring on my own water bottle to save $500. You can have issues with ANY airline if flights are cancelled and you need to get rebooked on another flight but they're all full. Your odds of issues with rebooking with increase if the airline has limited flights between the 2 cities that you need to fly. We've had issues with United when our flight was cancelled, we didn't end up getting another flight for 24 hours and we had to stay an extra night. It's just the way it is with traveling, you need to take the good with the bad sometimes! If you're used to Frontier, I wouldn't worry about Spirit at all!

Having that 2nd flight of the day to try to hop onto is wonderful, we don’t have it here.

The few times I took a voluntary bump on SWA, they were very inventive getting us to MCO same day via connecting fights if the next NS was sold out.

Spirit and Frontier wouldn't still be in business if all, or even the majority, of their flights have significant issues. The limited anecdotal experience of recent posters is of limited value. Of course most people won't have major issues.
The issue is what happens during irregular operations. A legacy airline can accommodate you by booking you on another airline. Jet Blue and Southwest typically have multiple daily flights. They can typically accommodate passengers, it may take a day.

Some routes Frontier doesn't even have daily service. Some posters have been told it would take at least a week before Frontier could find them a flight. Accept a refund and drive or book a last minute fare.

Frontier and Spirit works when nothing goes wrong.

I am so glad I asked about this! I will not be using them. We have had OK experiences with Frontier and they are usually pretty cheap. So I will stick with them and Southwest.

Where do you fly from?

At my local airport (RDU), there is an abundance of nonstop flights to MCO via Delta, Southwest and Frontier (plus the twice weekly Orlando-Sanford Allegiant flight). Spirit is entering our market next month with a daily nonstop to MCO as well.

It pays its pilots the lowest of all major airlines....Frontier even pays more. so there is our reason for avoiding it. Southwest, Delta, American and United are top payers..We only fly Southwest though. Just love SW

Honestly, I would never give Spirit another penny of my hard earned money. Long story, less long last year My SO was booked on a Friday evening flight to MCO (the rest of the family flew in the previous Wednesday) which was delayed six times then finally cancelled at 1am. Spirit graciously o_O offered to put him on a flight the next Tuesday. We were lucky enough to find a JetBlue flight that flew out the next morning. Never EVER again!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter