Spirit of Aloha vs Hoop De Doo?

mommytravels

Earning My Ears
I like the idea of the Luau but the general consensus seems to be Hoop De Doo. Does anyone like the Luau?

For a group I'd have to go with your majority and vote for The Hoop over the Luau.

I like the Luau, and I'm glad I have been to it. The show was better than the food which I thought was mediocre at best.

I really liked the hoop-de-do, and enjoyed the food as well. It was a much more fun-time show. I'd go back the next time we had a table full in the trip.

I enjoyed the Luau, but I loved Hoop Dee Doo! The luau is a great experience, the food is wonderful and the show is very good. Its been a few years since i did the luau, so I can't remember specifics, but it was lots of fun! The two things i remember the most are the chocolate mousse and the fire dancer. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if I would be more likely to spend money to see HDDR a second time than the Luau. Its just so...Disney! Corny jokes, talented performers and delicious food. Good luck with your decision!

We loved hoop Dee doo and walked out halfway thru the luau. The food was bad the show was boring and it was really hot. It's outside and we were there in august.

I agree. We dislike the luau and will not be returning. We LOVE the Hoop Dee Doo! We do it every other year!

We much prefer HDDR over SOA. Air conditioning will win out over "outside" any day in FL!
I wouldn't rave over the food at either place - tho we preferred HDDR's - SOA was just ok. (And I really like gourmet food, but the comfort food at HDDR was just that - basic, decent food.) Food at SOA was beautifully presented, but lackluster in taste, IMHO.
Loved the corny show at HDDR. 1st half of the show at SOA was pretty lame - 2nd half with the flame dancers, etc was spectacular!
Glad we had the opportunity to experience SOA - but it's not on our "to do" list again. HDDR is on our list each and every time we go!
Hope you enjoy it when you go!
Aloha!

The Laua was nice. The show was cute (little drawn out), with the highlight being the fire dancer. The food was mediocre at best, though the coconut head drink was awesome (though expensive)! The problem with the seating is on the dining plan you get stuck with seats that can be blocked by large poles.

Hoop Dee Doo is our favorite meal of the trip. We love the show, there really isn't a bad seat in the house, the food great, and you still get the added benefit of unlimited beer and sangria (our favorite feature). What is so nice is the show is good for kids and adults and it keeps you entertained through the whole meal. We didn't find that as much with the Luaua.

Glad we tried both, but HDDR will always be a part of our trips, unlike the Laua.

The luau is a massive waste of money in my experience. The food is like a cheaper version of Ohanas, not terrible, just not very good. But the show, which is what you're paying for, is a bit of a bore and drags on forever.

I wasn't excited to go to HDDR, but I LOVED it. The show was a ton of fun and everyone there seemed to have a good time. The food, although simpler, is a lot tastier, too. :thumbsup2

Agree with OP that Luau's food is a cheaper version of Ohana. We LOVE Ohana and much rather would have eaten there again then done the luau. The food was ok, the show was very drawn out and cheesy (and I usually can tolerate and enjoy anything cheesy!) The best part was the fire dancer. We won't be doing the luau again.

I think you will be more pleased with HDDR. Last year, DH and I went to Cali Grill and my parents took the kids to the Luau. While they enjoyed it, all of them said the HDDR was much better. My father said he wouldn't go back...ever. My mother said she would go back for the kids. We were staying at the Poly, too, so thought since we were there, might as well try it.

Never been to the Luau but LOVED Hoop Dee doo!
Food was good, show was great!

Mediocre is the best word for the luau. Its OK and maybe even good in parts (I like the fire dancer or whatever he's called). I also really liked spending the evening at the Poly - very nice atmosphere.

But the HDDR is entertaining, funny and the food is simple, but good for what it is.

HDDR by FAR. Luau was boring. We also froze our a**e* off in Nov since it was outside and on the lagoon.

We walked out thinking it was a waste of our dining plan.

Here's one more vote for the HDDR. We loved it and can not wait to return in May. Luau was nice but once is enough where as I could do the HDDR every trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter