Spirit of Aloha Show or Ohana

Lisa P00

Can't wait to be in my Happy Place
Hi! I'm new to this site, but definitely not to Disney. I've stayed many times, however I've never had the opportunity to visit the Poly. My husband and I are planning to go in January for 4 nights and will be staying at Shades of Green. Our first night I thought it would be nice to walk over to the Poly and have dinner. I would love to try the Spirit of Aloha show, but my husband is a combat veteran with PTSD and has a really rough time with crowds, especially in restaurants. If he can have his back to the wall, he's fine, but otherwise its not enjoyable for him. He actually doesn't like Disney at all because of the crowds, but wants to go because he knows how much I love it. Does anyone know if its possible to get a table next to the wall at the show? And if not, does Ohana have tables for 2, where he can have no one at his back? I looked at the pictures, and it looked like long bench tables. I know its asking a lot, but I think he'd really enjoy either one. Thanks for the help!

I don't have an answer for you, but I sympathize as my husband is in a similar boat. He is very uncomfortable with having his back exposed since coming back from Iraq several years ago. We are trying Ohana, as I have been told it is easier to get a more secluded spot if needed. Hopefully, some others who have been can give some feedback!

I would say Ohana as I think this would be much easier to arrange. I've only done SOA once but as I recall most of the seating is not near a wall. Someone who's been more recently though can probably correct me if that's not the case.

Hi! I'm new to this site, but definitely not to Disney. I've stayed many times, however I've never had the opportunity to visit the Poly. My husband and I are planning to go in January for 4 nights and will be staying at Shades of Green. Our first night I thought it would be nice to walk over to the Poly and have dinner. I would love to try the Spirit of Aloha show, but my husband is a combat veteran with PTSD and has a really rough time with crowds, especially in restaurants. If he can have his back to the wall, he's fine, but otherwise its not enjoyable for him. He actually doesn't like Disney at all because of the crowds, but wants to go because he knows how much I love it. Does anyone know if its possible to get a table next to the wall at the show? And if not, does Ohana have tables for 2, where he can have no one at his back? I looked at the pictures, and it looked like long bench tables. I know its asking a lot, but I think he'd really enjoy either one. Thanks for the help!
I agree that trying to arrange more secluded seating should be easier at 'Ohana. Don't worry about the long tables you are seeing. There is seating of all types for all group sizes. While it is a busy restaurant, and if you're in the center you will be seated with guests all around you, it is not communal seating. You will be seated at your own table and hopefully you will be able to request/arrange for a table towards the back/windows to help your husband feel more comfortable.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm going to book Ohana's today for our first night. Now to countdown the days until we leave.

Ohana has tables on the back of the meat cooking area that would be perfect.

does Ohana have tables for 2, where he can have no one at his back

1) No.
2) And, why does he need no one at his back?
3) Dinner shows are a "mass" program, with little romantic/secluded seating.
4) Sure, there are tables in which he could have no one behind him, but YOU would.

1) No.
2) And, why does he need no one at his back?
3) Dinner shows are a "mass" program, with little romantic/secluded seating.
4) Sure, there are tables in which he could have no one behind him, but YOU would.

this is a common PTSD trigger for someone who has been in war. My father is a vietnam vet and he always has to know that no one can be sneaking up behind him and also to be able to see the whole room. He has mellowed out in the 45 years since returning so we just have to make sure that he has whatever seat does not have its back to the door so he can see who is coming or going. It doesn't matter if his wife has her back to the door because he can see the room and protect her. It is not about romance, it is about being conditioned to be in a state when your body is pumped full of stress hormones trying to keep yourself from getting shot in the back in war and the effect that has on the body long after the war is over.

That said I would call the disabilities line and explain the situation. PTSD is a diagnosed disability. I would just request that they put you in touch with the manager of the restaurant so they can make sure you get an appropriate table with no fuss.

Please thank him for his service, and hope you have a great time.

That said I would call the disabilities line and explain the situation. PTSD is a diagnosed disability. I would just request that they put you in touch with the manager of the restaurant so they can make sure you get an appropriate table with no fuss.

Please thank him for his service, and hope you have a great time.

THIS. I was going to suggest that this is a valid, serious matter to call and ask for accommodations, notes on the reservation, etc. I have a feeling they will work to make sure you two have a suitable table. GL!

THIS. I was going to suggest that this is a valid, serious matter to call and ask for accommodations, notes on the reservation, etc. I have a feeling they will work to make sure you two have a suitable table. GL!
I just suggested talking to the manager because I'd worry that the CM doing the seating would not understand from the note what the real issue was and talking to a manager you could make sure they understand in advance and not in public and just have them hold a good table for you.

I just suggested talking to the manager because I'd worry that the CM doing the seating would not understand from the note what the real issue was and talking to a manager you could make sure they understand in advance and not in public and just have them hold a good table for you.
1) Let's be sure we know how seats are assigned.
2) You can't ask for a specific table.
. . . Tables are assigned in each category based upon when (date & time) you make your reservation.
. . . I frequently assign tables at HDDR.
. . . Luau is the same procedure.
. . . The assignment is made 8-days prior to your show date.
3) Someone else might already have the table (or be assigned the table) you would like, if they reserved before your ressie call.
4) You can't toss them out because you would prefer another location.
. . . it which would be unfair to them
. . . seating is first-reserved-first-assigned
. . . they could have picked up their actual tickets 7-days ahead of show date
. . . then, they would have to move because of your desires
. . . this can create an issue
5) Unless you are sitting sideways against the wall, there are walkways behind you.
. . I would think people/CMs constantly walking behind would be more of a problem than people sitting behind.

NOTE: Not wanting to belittle his condition, but how would he handle all the other crowds at WDW when simply walking around . . . with all the people behind him?

Spirit-of-Aloha-seatingchar.gif

spirit_of_aloha_4.jpg

Last edited:
1) Let's be sure we know how seats are assigned.
2) You can't ask for a specific table.
. . . Tables are assigned in each category based upon when (date & time) you make your reservation.
. . . I frequently assign tables at HDDR.
. . . Luau is the same procedure.
. . . The assignment is made 8-days prior to your show date.
3) Someone else might already have the table (or be assigned the table) you would like, if they reserved before your ressie call.
4) You can't toss them out because you would prefer another location.
. . . it which would be unfair to them
. . . seating is first-reserved-first-assigned
. . . they could have picked up their actual tickets 7-days ahead of show date
. . . then, they would have to move because of your desires
. . . this can create an issue
5) Unless you are sitting sideways against the wall, there are walkways behind you.
. . I would think people/CMs constantly walking behind would be more of a problem than people sitting behind.

NOTE: Not wanting to belittle his condition, but how would he handle all the other crowds at WDW when simply walking around . . . with all the people behind him?

View attachment 197459

View attachment 197461
I think the OP had concluded that 'Ohana was going to be a better bet than the show and everyone was answering based on that :) it's just a regular restaurant not a show with assigned seating. I don't believe the OP is planning to ask for extraordinary accommodations at a venue that is not laid out to meet her request.

Thank you to everyone who responded. It is very difficult to understand these issues unless you live them. I do live them all the time with my husband and because of that we rarely go out to eat or to a movie theater. The parks on the other hand, he is free to move around and not tied to one spot. I've also made concessions of having him go at the rope drop and once it begins to get too crowded leave, and come back later in the evening. Thank you all so much for the suggestion of calling the disabilities hotline. He does have a VA disability card if they need it. My thought is that we may eat mostly at Shades of Green and do counter service at the parks now. It may be less problematic for our trip. And thank you so much Lisa F for explaining the situation so well.

we have been to both severeal times....I think that Ohana is more like a quiet place...we were next to a wall overlooking the Polynesian swimming pools...very nice and the food ..we absolutely love it... The Luau is also a favorite of ours...but I agree..get the top tier..you can still see the show and you can be next to the back wall...Hope you enjoy your time ..and thank your husband for us...hugs

Thank you to everyone who responded. It is very difficult to understand these issues unless you live them. I do live them all the time with my husband and because of that we rarely go out to eat or to a movie theater. The parks on the other hand, he is free to move around and not tied to one spot. I've also made concessions of having him go at the rope drop and once it begins to get too crowded leave, and come back later in the evening. Thank you all so much for the suggestion of calling the disabilities hotline. He does have a VA disability card if they need it. My thought is that we may eat mostly at Shades of Green and do counter service at the parks now. It may be less problematic for our trip. And thank you so much Lisa F for explaining the situation so well.

I have some experience with this with a loved one. I was there in January, so let me see what I can remember about restaurants in case any of them appeal...

Shows:
SoA would have made him uncomfortable.
Hoop Dee Doo. No. Open, cramped, LOUD. It would have sent my buddy into a tailspin.

Resorts:
Ohana could have managed.
Cape May was pretty exposed but it was also pretty quiet for a character breakfast and it was light and soothing and less stress-inducing
Sanaa has some good options.
Boatwrights was probably not a good fit.
Captain's Grille- I don't remember.

Epcot:
Garden Grill might be a good bet- the booths were nice and high.
We had a secluded corner at Rose and Crown.
Marrakesh would have been problematic.
Chef's de France... maybe? I don't remember much about the layout.

Magic Kingdom:
We had good wall-at-your-back seating twice at Liberty Tree.
CRT also had potentially suitable tables.
I'd probably give BoG a pass.

AK:
Tusker might have an ok table, I was busy being overwhelmed by the noise and underwhelmed by the food.
Yak and Yeti we were in a corner that would work.

DHS:
Mama Melrose I don't really remember.
Sci-Fi wouldn't have worked.
Hollywood and Vine was noisy but we had our backs to a wall.

If any of that is at all interesting to you, feel free to drop me a line and I'll pick my brain for specifics.

Also, please consider a DAS pass. My own anxiety is increased by being stuck in queues (particularly at DLR where they are tight switchbacks) without an exit strategy. The decrease in that kind of tension might prolong his comfort in the parks.

My family thanks your husband for his service to our country. I hope you guys have a great vacation!

'Ohana is probably safer and I trust Disney will accommodate you as best they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter