• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spirit of Aloha early show 01/19/08

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
4 adults -- :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

DH and I attended a Polynesian Luau approx 1.5 years ago.
The other couple had not attended in decades, despite being annual visitors for also decades.
And keep in mind three of us are relatively picky eaters. Me, somewhat. The other couple not adventurous and generally like plain, down home cooking.

I had been watching the weather all week and hoping the show would not be cancelled. It kept looking iffy, due to cold. And I was wondering what it would be like attending the luau in January.

We lucked out as the weather was perfect. There was suppose to be a cold front coming in, and a hard rain did cut the show off a little early.

We had category three, the Cinderella section. Now why would a princess be seated in the back!? :snooty: :rotfl: (The first time DH and I attended we were much closer in the front and center. Last night's seats were in the back, and off to the further end.)
I would not say there is a bad seat in the house. But of course the further back, the more other guests are in your view. Actually it did not bother me because I figured if it stormed we were in a good spot. ;)

We were seated right on time and very efficiently. The person seating us even made sure to mention the chef had just rec'd an award for the cleanest kitchen in central FL, which apparently is a very prestigious award. I almost recall him saying this was the second year in a row. But don't recall that for certain. DH did think it was odd to be mentioned. But I guess they are just proud of that.

The salad and bread tray was already on the table as we were seated. (Tropical Mixed Greens with Mango Poppy Seed Dressing, Pineapple-coconut Bread and Sweet Golden Pineapple.)
Very good. I really like the dressing. Fresh bread. Great start. (And we were offered more on everything we had.)

Right away a server appeared and took our drink order. (Cokes and lemonades.) And promptly brought them to us in nice bamboo style glasses. He was so efficient he even brought me a refill without me seeing him. We had a johnny on the spot server.

After some entertainment, then the next course:
Island Barbecued Pork Ribs
Lanai Roasted Chicken
Polynesian Rice
Fresh Seasonal Vegetables

Even the veggies were very good: flavorful and fresh. My least favorite was the rice. But that was not to say it was bad. It was just a rice with some fresh veggies here and there.

Everyone really liked the ribs and chicken. The meat was hot, moist and tender. :lovestruc We got seconds. :goodvibes

Oh -- and the dessert --- Dessert - Kilauea Volcano Delight. The best around. I liked it even better than Zebra Domes -- and that says a lot! :cheer2: A little bit of heaven on a silver platter.

Now the entertainment -- as always first class and full of energy and talent. It was cut off early due to the storm that hit at the end. But had DH and I not been there before we never would have known. The fire dancer was literally in the pouring rain and still giving a great performance.

I thought they seemed to have cut back on the cornball story line. It was still there, but just as a backdrop to the entertainment everyone really wants. It was a better balance than our first luau.

It was a great time. I have to say I would maybe rethink a cat 3 again. But would not feel bad if I had it. Just figure you are not going to want to take photos or videos from the cat 3 section.

The other couple was very impressed and just loved it. Glad to have made a few converts! :laughing:

We skipped the photo session when we first arrived, as we did the last visit. Both times I noticed they bring the photos around to the guests during the main (and sticky) food course. :confused3

And the second show did get cancelled due to weather. I do not know what is offered when a show is cancelled.

Questions?

Wow, great timing on the review. I have been really thinking about cancelling this reservation and have come just short of doing so a couple times. Maybe we will keep it. We have cat 1 seating. and I really want to take a lot of photos.

Thank you for the review.

Glad you had a great trip!!

Heather

Thanks for the review, glad to hear your enjoyed the dinner and show. I've always wanted to go to this luau, thanks for your advice on the seating tiers too. :goodvibes

We went to the Luau in Sept. 07' and my five year old was spellbound. My hubby tried some new foods and loved them. The entertainment was TOP NOTCh and the wait staff was quick, efficent and very friendly! We are preparing our choices for our ADRs for Sept. 08'. I am making TWO ADRs for our two week trip just incase of bad weather :rolleyes1 .....and if the weather is good :yay: ....yep we will go twice!!! :woohoo:

Thank you so much for the great review. I have a friend from Hawaii that kind of turned me off from going, but I know I won't be making it to the "real thing" anytime soon.

Thanks for the review. My wife and I have been going back and forth on whether or not to book the luau for our October trip. I think we may just give it a shot.

We have it on our list of eats for this coming Oct. We have never been, we did HDDR last Oct and wanted to try a different dinner show, we are definately looking forward to it.

Thanks for the review :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter