Spirit of Aloha dinner/show

You probably would get more feedback on the restaurant boards.

We did SOA last summer in July. It was hot and chaotic, the service was terrible, and we had a horrible view, despite paying for the higher end seating. The food was not that great and they could not keep up with the drink orders.

Personally, we will never do this dinner show again -- ever.

We did SOA in December. I found the set up to be disorganized. We were told to be there well before the start, which we were. First, we had to wait for them to start checking people in, then we had to wait for photos, then we had to wait to get into the bar area, then we had to wait for them to open the restaurant area and begin seating. We did not enjoy the food at all. The show was okay. The "story" was a little boring, but there were some really entertaining and even amazing parts. I'm not disappointed we did it, but I wouldn't do it again.

Dawn

We went last year. Before that, the last time we went was in 1998. Nothing has changed since then. All the line-up, wait, and check in issues stated above existed in the 1990s and still exist now. The seating can be anything from fine to view is blocked too much. We thought the food was OK (same food they had in the 1990s). The show is pretty good and still the same one they had back then. Maybe we will do it again in 15 years.

If you are looking for a night time dinner show, you might try it but I would opt for Hoop Dee Doo.

We are also looking at booking this but very hesitant. We want to do it the night of my daughters 14th bday since it will be something to remember and different. We would be a family of 4A,2C

Do you recommend the Spirit of Aloha dinner/show? Why or why not? Thanks!!

Your question is a loaded one, but I will try to answer it as honestly as possible.

I would say that the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show is worth it only if you haven't already been to Hawaii and seen a Luau and if you like that sort of thing(dinner shows). I just saw the show in 2013 after having wanted to for several years. Unfortunately, I went to the Polynesian Cultural Center(PCC) in Hawaii in 2012 and, while I didn't do a luau, saw the dance presentations from the different Polynesian islands. Although Disney bases their dinner show on a birthday party(if I remember correctly), the part where the cast members are doing native dances was very similar to what I had already seen. While it was cute, I was actually kind of bored--but only because I had seen the original in Hawaii.

Check in for the dinner show is hectic. Everyone is basically in the lobby of the Polynesian and you can have your picture taken while you wait to be walked to the venue and then seated. There are three levels of seating and I think you are either seated based on when you checked in or when you made your reservation (don't quote me on that, but I think that's what a CM told me when I made my reservation--I was there very early with some other folks to check-in). I believe I used the deluxe dining plan when I made my reservation(if it wasn't that it was TIW) and was seated in the front maybe two tables back(I believe I was in category 1 or 2 on the main floor). I was to the right of the stage and had a perfect view.

A lot of people don't like luau food, so don't go to the show for the food. I thought it was ok. Everything is served family style and a waiter brings your platters to the table. When you are seated, you already have one platter there. This is what the WDW website says for the food: "Settle in for platters of authentic dishes, like Island pulled pork, BBQ ribs, roasted chicken and Polynesian rice. You can also savor fresh salad with honey lime vinaigrette, seasonal vegetables and pineapple-coconut bread. Then, polish the meal off by indulging in some warm pineapple bread pudding with caramel sauce!"
I really liked the chicken, salad, bread, and the dessert.

If this is an experience you want to have, I say go for it. You can read reviews of the show on Allears.net under dining reviews.

I wouldnt do it. I wouldnt recommend it. Everything posted above was our experience exactly. For the price, there are a lot of other choices. We didnt feel relaxed, we couldnt hear the dialogue, it was a total downer for us. I actually left and went back to the room to watch tv. Nothing at Disney had ever made we want to go back to the room. Most things, I would do over and again.
Not this. It was TERRIBLE.

We have been twice but the last time was 10+ years ago. Then we did not wait in the lobby but went directly to the entrance to the Luau and waited. As others have stated the wait/checkin can be long. I remember the food being OK and the show was fine also. We were thinking of trying it again when we go next year because it has been so long since we last went. We have been doing the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review the last few times and it is very good but corny(we like corny) but just want to try something different this next time. If you have never been it might be worth a try....smjj

I would not do the SOA again. One the other hand, the ohauna (sp?) buffet I will do every trip!

Haven't been in years - the program has changed a few times - but it's a good one time experience.

If you go, make seat request. Some people prefer up close we like to be towards the back middle stage.

We didn't care for the food but there's enough variety to find something you'll eat.

IMO the last show is the best and not so 'hot' or crowded as most seem to prefer the earlier seating.

:flower3:

I agree with the above experiences. For our group of 4 adults 15 years ago, the consensus was "is this show ever going to end".

If you want to experience it once just to say you have been, then go ahead and go.

That being said, I went once in the Summer of 1979 as a teen and remembered that it was hot, boring, and the food was not very good. The highlight was when my mom let me drink half or her Sangria.

Thirty years later I took my own family because I thought is couldn't have been as bad as I remembered as a teen. It was boring, expensive and the food was not very good. Even the Sangria had lost its novelty.

I recommend just going to Ohana's or we have always enjoyed the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review.

I've never done SOA, but Disney Hipsters just reviewed it on their podcast. It may be worth a listen to get a good perspective of a very recent visit. But in case you're not familiar with Disney Hipsters, be warned that their podcast contains adult humor. You wouldn't want to listen while children can hear.

I have enjoyed the SOA show.. as long as you keep your expectations reasonable...

It is fun show and worth doing once. Not awesome, but you don't have to go to Hawaii, so pretty good for not long air flight ;)

If it was during the summer, I would probably not do it. We have gone to the last show and weather has been nice during Christmas, so not bad at all. The first part of the show you're thinking what did I pay for, but the end is good when they twirl fire etc. I ate more of the salad, bread, and rice if I remember right. Husband enjoyed the pork. Everything seemed to contain nuts, and I'm not a big nut fan.

I went to it a few years ago. My dds were 10 & 8, and we all had a great time. We had category 1 seats and were right in the middle in the front row for thr first showing. Amazing seats. I had never seen a hula show, and am sure the ones in Hawaii an Tahiti are more authentic, but I'll never see that. The food was decent. We had great service. The fire dancing was really cool.

We've also been to the Hoop dee do Review. I thought the food was better at SOA. But, I'm from KY and fried chicken and BBQ are way better here than I'm going to find in WDW. I enjoyed the HDDR show - a lot of humor and great performance - but I liked the SOA show as they had a hula lesson for all the children up on stage, and then a dance off for married couples. (sit down by #years of marriage).

Overall, I liked them both, but preferred SOA to HDDR. Keep in mind that SOA is outdoors and subject to weather. Finally, while the family and I enjoyed both shows, we don't plan to return to either. We will go with a late ADR at Kona and watch Wishes afterwards.

My husband and I went late March. Checkin was like cattle herding. We got there an hour before the show, little did we know that wouldn't matter. We paid for tier one seats and had a lovely view of a pole directly in front of our table, which was actually set back in line with tier two seats. Food was ok. Fire dancing was amazing. It was definitely a one time been there, won't go again kind of show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter