Spirit airlines to tampa?

ocspartan

DIS Veteran
Looking at flights for the next cruise and came across an unbelievable fare with spirit that even with fees was much lower than others, but despite being a frequent flier with the major brands I've never experienced spirit... Any thoughts on those who have tried them for a cruise? I've read online about horror stories of day long delays and poor service, am I overly concerned? Also flight gets into Tampa, for any who's flown in the night before to tpa wanted to see if you found it easier to stay in Tampa over night or just head straight to port

Being a regular flier I would steer clear of spirit!! I flew them for one trip and swore never again....duct taped arm rest, NO legroom (worse than all others I've flown), rude employees and delays (without updates/information).

When talking into account fees make sure to include the one to get a seat assignment, the one to print a boarding pass at the airport if needed and the fees for carry-on (yes, carry-on) luggage.

Also, make sure to have backup plans. If they can't get you there they will not even consider putting you on another carrier---which some of the major carriers will do when there are maintenance delays and they have very limited schedules.

I would make the drive at night if you can or at least go as far as Orlando. There is a lot of construction & traffic closer to the Tampa airport which seems to be much worse during the day. Without major traffic the trip to the port would probably take 2 1/2 hours, but there are several spots along the route that can be problematic with traffic.

Looking at flights for the next cruise and came across an unbelievable fare with spirit that even with fees was much lower than others, but despite being a frequent flier with the major brands I've never experienced spirit... Any thoughts on those who have tried them for a cruise? I've read online about horror stories of day long delays and poor service, am I overly concerned? Also flight gets into Tampa, for any who's flown in the night before to tpa wanted to see if you found it easier to stay in Tampa over night or just head straight to port

All I know about them is that they charge for everything - baggage fees (checked), carry on bags, snacks, drinks (including water).

And the seats are quite uncomfortable, from what I've read - formed plastic and many don't recline.

I found this site with reviews:
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/spirit.htm

Just say no to Spirit!

IF I were to fly Spirit, it would be for a short flight, weekend trip where I wouldn't have luggage and wouldn't care about delays. I definitely wouldnt try them for a cruise.

I can't help with the airline, but its just over a 2 hour drive from Tampa to Port Canaveral, so I guess it would depend on what time you get in as to whether its worth driving to the port that night.

HTH

-Kay

I will be flying Spirit into Orlando for my Cruise on February 7th.

I have only had one minor issue in the 7 times I have flown Spirit.

I will recommend.. But the statement that they charge for everything is right on....

We flew spirit once. We never will again. I'd rather spend more than ever do that again. Horrible...horrible...horrible...
I have no idea how they are in business.

This has me rethinking my flight plans. I've already booked us on spirit. I am a fearful flyer already and these posts scare me. The reason we booked with them was because it was a non stop flight and even with the extra fees it was the best price. Now I'm seriously considering canceling because I found another carrier that recently has put a flight up for around the same time and price. What are my chances of getting any of my money back?

Worst airline on record! Is NOT worth the so called 'lower fare'. They don't tell you until you get to the airport that they CHARGE for carry on luggage! I had a backpack my husband had a small overnite bag and we were on a 50 min flight to Orlando from Ft Lauderdale. We were charged $50 PER BAG (total $100) for the 2 carryons! so much for the lower fare!!!

Spirit is a very bare bones airline. If you go into your flight understanding this and have researched their fees, it isn't bad. I know what I am and am not getting from them and prepared for that. We have flown Spirit multiple times and while they charge for everything, they are very up front about that. They list their baggage charges on their website and even email you about 5 days before your flight to remind you to pay for your luggage before you get to the airport. Charges for luggage is less expensive if you purchase it online before your flight. If you are looking for cheap transportation and can deal with the fees, you can still come out way ahead. We leave tonight and are using Spirit Airlines flying into Tampa. We are a family of 4. Even with paying for our luggage, it was only $452 round trip for all of us from Minneapolis. I don't require much more than a seat when flying, so I consider this to be just fine. It all depends on what you are comfortable with and your expectations.

we booked our flight with Orbitz and baggage fees were not collectible thru them, hence we were obligated to pay for the carryons at the airport. Between than and other instances, I STILL will not fly Spirit again if i don't have to!!! Oh and we sat on the tarmac for 45 minutes waiting for 'another passenger' said the pilot. well the 'other passenger' never showed up so we were nearly an hour late leaving FLL!! Not a friendly airline at all.

ocspartan, are you flying out of DTW? (I'm guessing you are an MSU fan) We've done it many times, as Spirit seems to always be the best deal. In years past, we've flown for as little as $10 round trip, although those deals are no more!

You will not have any luck getting your money back with Spirit. They do charge for everything, but my friends I cruise with (family of 4) are able to put everything in 4 backpacks and pay for one suitcase. It is less expensive to stow a suitcase than it is a carryon.

For cruising, what my family has been doing is flying from Flint to Tampa on SWA. I love flying out of Bishop AP as opposed to Metro. If I have to cancel the flight, at least I will have that money in credit for a future flight. With Spirit, you have to be prepared to lose it. Also if you change your flight, Spirit charges $75 to do that. SWA also gives us plenty of options for luggage as we can take 2 suitcases each with no charge. We fly in the night before to Tampa, rent a car for around $13 on hotwire.com, and drive in the morning of the cruise. We are so much more relaxed this way!

My vote is to keep your tickets and hope for the best!

I don't find the flying worse that anything else really, I don't find any carrier comfortable or the service particularly great on any airline anymore.

I would say keep the flight and just hope for the best! We really have had very little issue with the flights themselves.

Just say no to Spirit!

IF I were to fly Spirit, it would be for a short flight, weekend trip where I wouldn't have luggage and wouldn't care about delays. I definitely wouldnt try them for a cruise.

ITA. We got a "great fare" to Las Vegas and then our return flight got cancelled coming home and they wanted to put us on a flight 72 hours later...um, no. There was no other option. I had to pay oop for flights home on Southwest that cost a fortune.

This has me rethinking my flight plans. I've already booked us on spirit. I am a fearful flyer already and these posts scare me. The reason we booked with them was because it was a non stop flight and even with the extra fees it was the best price. Now I'm seriously considering canceling because I found another carrier that recently has put a flight up for around the same time and price. What are my chances of getting any of my money back?

If you booked a nonrefundable fare, you will not be getting your money back.

Spirit is no frills all the way as others have stated. Buy a drink at the airport before you board and after security. You can bring snacks with you in your carry on.
Spirit can have delays. Not sure when you are arriving but I live about 20 miles west of Tampa Int'l. You are going to get out of the airport and drive I-275 north to I-4 East and then to the turnpike near WDW to get to the port.
I've driven from where I am and it takes me 3 hours to the port. I am about a 15-25 min drive to the airport.
As other posters have stated, there is major construction on I-275. It is worse coming south then going north so keep that in mind if you are driving back for a flight.
I would allow at least 3-4 hours from Tampa driving. If you are driving during the week and near rush hour, add an extra 30 min. On the weekends or off times this should be accurate. Once you are out the Tampa area your drive shouldn't be too bad. Some congestion around WDW with minor construction here and there on I-4.
Just know what you are getting into on Spirit. The flights I've taken with them are under 3 hours and they are fine. Not cushy but fine. They get me from point A to point B for a lot less than most other carriers. They give you nothing more and nothing less than that.

I'd walk before I'd fly Spirit, because there's a chance you're going to be walking anyway.

Spirit is the Megabus of airlines. We flew them in November because I got an insanely cheap fare out of Chicago to Orlando for a quick Universal trip. Besides all of the fees for everything, no leg room and the most uncomfortable seats, the service was pretty sucky too. Never again. I think the staff must dislike Spirit too. LOL

I've cancelled my flight and am going with a better carrier. I can't handle that kind of stress. I'd rather pay now than wait until the last minute and deal with trying to find another airline last minute.

First off..let me say. i am a regular sprit flyer. I've flown over 200,000 miles over the past 16 years. New york, Detroit, Los Angeles, Vegas, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando.

I've never just been cancelled. i"ve had a flight change beyond 4 hours and they let me switch flights once and another time full refund.

Baggage...yes they charge for baggage. But so does Delta? and swest is free 2 bags..but for me..it's usually a connection and the time to connect is not worth it ..i'd rather pay direct/and bag fees to fly straight through. Delta is only free if you are a Delta AMEX member..and american too i believe.

Carry on - i have never paid $100 fora carry on. i don't have the wheeled kind. What i ALWAYS fly with is a FAA approved backpack that is smaller than a hiking backpack but larger than a normal backpack. It fits under my seat...albeit i lose some leg room...but with my kids..it fits under their seat and doesnt' affect their room at all. i like that they charge for the larger items..because for a while it was nuts the amount of stuff people carried on...overfiling overheads and slowing the boarding and the getting off process. They do make you pay if it is the wheeled kind or large suit garment bag. I have put my backpack in the overhead once on the plane..after folks who paid put their stuff away and never had a problem.

seats: yes you pay for seats or run the risk of random assignment. So figure seat select in the cost. But with me family of four i want to sit in a cerain way on a plane..2/2 or 3/1...if i fly southwest ..that's not gauranteed based when i board..or pay $12.50 a person for priority boarding....that's like buying a seat.

I have never been treated rudely on the plane. Yes. .SWEST folks are super fun and nice adn give great announcements....but just because the Spirit folks are dry..do their job and that's it.who cares. doesn't affect me if they aren't fun on the plane. I'm reading...or watching a movie. And if i need something..they help me.

Spirit does charge for anything on board..pop/chips..etc....but do you rally need a half a can of coke? i carry water on and am fine. And we bring our own snacks for the kids...

The one thing i don't like is spirit does not participate in the TSA precheck..so i hope one day the will.

So don't be afraid. i actaully did the Tampa return flight last year..it was $221 cheaper per person to fly out of tampa. Worth a one day rental car for $60 to drive 1 hour 15 min to tampa..no problem at all.
Relax....enjoy your trip.

We had no issues on our flight with Spirit. Know going in that there isn't an abudance of leg room. DH is 6'1" and at the time was over 300lbs. He said it wasn't unbearable. But he didn't think he would do a flight longer than the 2 hour flight we did. But for $800 in savings he thought he could "suck it up".

Be an educated consumer. It really irritates me when people say "they don't tell you till you get to the airport" when it's on their website. It isn't hidden. This is the link from their home page: http://marketing.spirit.com/how-to-fly-spirit-airlines/en/ And their fees are on their website under "Optional Services."

If you need to check a bag, pay for that in advance. Not when you get to the airport. Know that there is a 40lb limit. I packed a luggage scale so I would know when packing on the return trip if we were overweight on the luggage. If you need a carryon bag larger than the "personal bag" that is free - pay in advance. It is considerably more expensive to pay for it at the airport. Each of us (me, DH and 2 kids) each took a backpack for free. From their website:
Personal item (e.g., purse, small backpack, etc.): Dimensions must not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30 cm) including handles and wheels

Remember: You can bring one personal item and bring items like an umbrella, camera, infant diaper bag, assistive devices, outer garments (e.g., coats, hats and wraps), reading material and food for the flight for no additional charge.​

Print out your boarding pass at home or at the kiosk at the airport. Don't go to the counter to print it. There really is no reason too.

If you live close to an airport, purchase the tickets at the airport. It is cheaper as there is no "passenger usage fee". When we went to the airport the lady at the counter said "so you know the secret!"

They charge for drinks. If you don't want to pay their prices, you can buy food/drink at the airport after security and bring it onboard. The aisle in front of us last time had a whole meal from Wendy's. Smelled like french fries for 2 hours.

The seat assignment thing is up to you. Last time we purchased it at $12 per person per flight. This time the lady at the counter when we bought our tickets told us we would be seated together since it was purchased together. My coworker didn't purchase in advance and they were seated all together. As long as we are together, I'm good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter