Spirit Airlines Refund

Mike&AllisMom

DIS Veteran
Hello, I have a flight in September booked with Spirit. I'm concerned now with their recent cancellations. I want to cancel my flights and book with Southwest (I know, they cancel too) but I want a refund from Spirit, not credit. I can't really tell from their website if I will get a refund or credit. Has anyone been successful getting a refund?

Hello, I have a flight in September booked with Spirit. I'm concerned now with their recent cancellations. I want to cancel my flights and book with Southwest (I know, they cancel too) but I want a refund from Spirit, not credit. I can't really tell from their website if I will get a refund or credit. Has anyone been successful getting a refund?
Here is Spirit’s official policy when cancelling or changing a flight. Reference is made to flight credits. A refund to original form of payment is made if cancelled within 24 hours of booking for a flight at least 7 days away.

Unfortunately, I am almost 100% sure it would be a voucher for future travel and a fee to reschedule. UNLESS you booked it when they had their covid protocol in place in which case they won't charge the fee just give you a voucher.

I posted on Facebook too and by the responses I think I should just keep this and book a backup airline too 😜 Apparently there are a lot of airlines with delays and cancelled flights.

Even when other airlines were being a little more flexible last year, Spirit was still only offering flight credits if you cancelled - no refunds likely unless they're the ones who cancel the flight or you booked a refundable rate (not sure if Spirit even has that option when you book). You also then have a certain timeframe you need to use the flight credit within.

With the caveat that this was a flight booked to occur during the early days of the pandemic (April of 2020), I originally accepted a credit, which was the explicit policy at the time. Maybe a week or two later I called them and requested a full refund which they did no problem. If you really want a full refund, I don’t think it would hurt to ask, right? The worst thing that could happen is they don’t allow it and you’re back to the credit.

I had to cancel a flight due to a family illness...
They gave me a credit... it was a pain they gave me 60 days to use them and I had to put in my resavations number on the credit line. I have a few dollars left and no one but the original traveler can use them even though I paid with my CC.

I personally would just stay with what you have. Yes they have had issues the past two days but it will pass. I have been flying once a month with spirit for the last year and had minimal issues.

Today, it was reported that Spirit Airlines canceled 22 outgoing flights from Orlando International Airport out of their 73 flights. The cancellations are due to “system-wide disruptions that began during the weekend.” Southwest, American, Frontier, and other airlines have already seen similar issues this summer, so it seems that the problem is widespread and not airline specific.

This is really stressing me out. Scheduled to fly out of Newark NJ on Friday at 5:30am.

They cancelled all of today's flights out of Newark -and- tomorrow's 5:30am (the rest are still showing "On Time". Not sure if I should just get a "back up" now and if they cancel get a refund and fly out. However if they don't cancel then the back-up $ would be lost theoretically...ugh.

This trip is really testing my blood pressure.

This is really stressing me out. Scheduled to fly out of Newark NJ on Friday at 5:30am.

They cancelled all of today's flights out of Newark -and- tomorrow's 5:30am (the rest are still showing "On Time". Not sure if I should just get a "back up" now and if they cancel get a refund and fly out. However if they don't cancel then the back-up $ would be lost theoretically...ugh.

I understand your stress! I'm considering purchasing Southwest points and booking a "backup" flight for my trip. At least if I have to cancel I will get the points back for future use.

Im In the same boat. My anxiety is through the roof. I booked jet blue out of Newark as a backup at triple the price I paid for Spirit ( I paid extra for refundable tickets). I’m thinking of calling it a loss and just going with jet blue. I don’t want to get stranded in MCO. Part of me is hoping they cancel AC flight on Saturday. Hopefully, if they do cancel, I can get a refund. FYI Jet
Blue flights are filling up.

Im In the same boat. My anxiety is through the roof. I booked jet blue out of Newark as a backup at triple the price I paid for Spirit ( I paid extra for refundable tickets). I’m thinking of calling it a loss and just going with jet blue. I don’t want to get stranded in MCO. Part of me is hoping they cancel AC flight on Saturday. Hopefully, if they do cancel, I can get a refund. FYI Jet
Blue flights are filling up.
Yeah I see a good deal for Frontier out of Newark but hate just calling something a loss when it is $1k.

Reading the tea leaves and taking a calculated risk that my friday flight will be cancelled.

Booked another flight that cost double but I feel I can rely on...United. takes off 2.5 hours later but the impending doom was gnawing at me.

Its usually a voucher unless you have someone not feeling well or a medical emergency. And, they likely won’t require proof of said emergency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter