• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spirit Airlines ... Question on liklihood of USA lowering or go Spirit?

SouthJersey

DIS Veteran
I know Spirit's seats don't recline and are smaller.
I also know Spirit gets ripped on because, "They sound real cheap and then add-on costs for everything!"

So, I went and booked the entire flight and all the fee's/add-on's.
US Airways For (2) in December as of today:
- Coach
- Three Checked Bags Total
- Free Personal Bag Each
- Arrive 9:15 AM (Disney)
- Depart 7:40 PM (Home)

Total: $1,320
Total: $1,145 to arrive at 10:05AM

Spirit Airlines for same dates:
- Coach
- Three Checked Bags Total
- Free Personal Bag Each
- Arrive 8:20 AM (Disney)
- Depart 9:35 PM (Home)

Total: $775
Total: $935 for front row, largest seats + legroom

I'm not the most familiar with airfare, but I've been reading prices will drop as the dates get closer since we're farther out right now. Would I likely be seeing US Airways come down even close to the $775? If US Air comes down, would Spirit go lower as closer?

There is no way to reliably predict it. Price is dependent on demand and airlines have software that adjusts pricing almost continuously.

I agree...unpredictable.

Also, by your name it sounds like you might be coming from southern NJ, so I would be inclined to wait at least until Southwest opens up their December schedule. Give US Airways some competition. Also, you may want to give Frontier a look from Trenton.

I agree...unpredictable.

Also, by your name it sounds like you might be coming from southern NJ, so I would be inclined to wait at least until Southwest opens up their December schedule. Give US Airways some competition. Also, you may want to give Frontier a look from Trenton.

I checked into Frontier, they barely have any days and mostly weekdays :(

Thanks for the help guys.

To me the savings aren't worth the risk.... But your risk tolerance may be higher then mine LOL!

As for Spirit and US matching or monitoring for price drops IMHO it's unlikely. Spirit is always dramatically cheaper out of my airport and the other airlines don't even bother to acknowledge those fares. I think they know there are enough flyers like me to allow them to ignore Spirit.

Here in NJ/PA, Spirit flies out of Atlantic City, not Philadelphia...so I doubt US Airways pays much attention to them. However, US and Southwest compete on the non-stop PHL-MCO market and they've been known to have some fare skirmishes. Since Southwest doesn't go out to December yet, US is the only game in town at the moment. I was suggesting waiting at least until Southwest opens up their schedule more...even if the OP doesn't like Southwest. Of course, one big advantage with SW is the ability to rebook if the prices go down...assuming you fly again within a year to use the credit.

Of course, there's no set rule, but airfares seem to hit their low around the two month out mark...but I always hate that waiting game. Plus I see in OP's signature that the December trip is a Christmas trip, so that can change everything. Hard to put "low fares" and Christmas in the same sentence.

I'm a little confused by the OP's question, as he/she says the flight has been booked. To me, that means the tickets are already purchased.

Have you ever flown on Spirit? If not, I suggest reviewing the complaints filed against them with the FAA/Trip Advisor, or simply Google complaints. I am a bargain hunter, also, but there are some things even I won't do to save a buck. Their poor reputation is well earned.

I have a couple times, but its been a few years. I haven't had any problems with them myself, but they certainly aren't listed as one of the better airlines. My main issues with them are the add-on fees and there isn't much backup if your flight happens to be cancelled. Out of ACY, there's usually just two flights a day to MCO...

I'm a little confused by the OP's question, as he/she says the flight has been booked. To me, that means the tickets are already purchased.

I think they meant they went all the way right before booking, to get ALL prices. They did it for both, so one hopes they didn't book it. :)

We have flown Spirit multiple times and have had poor service only once. Yes there are add on's but all we really pay for are the checked bags. You don't have to pay for seats together or printing the tickets, if you do a little planning. When we fly Spirit we usually save 1/2 over other airlines.

We always fly spirit, get the front seats and pay for checked bags. We also usually buy a snack. They are no worse imo than any other airline and their prices are great. We fly out of AC and it is so easy.

We always fly spirit, get the front seats and pay for checked bags. We also usually buy a snack. They are no worse imo than any other airline and their prices are great. We fly out of AC and it is so easy.

It's great you like them, but they are far inferior to most other airlines.

the only good thing about Spirit is that they are about 10 min. from my house and the airport is small so just park and get on plane pretty much. However, my husband hates Spirit so much that he wants to fly out of Philly for our next Disney trip which would add on a few hours counting parking and getting to whatever terminal we need to. I would just use Spirit myself and just be uncomfortable for however long the flight is (can't remember). A couple of trips ago, we were checking in our luggage and they said our bags were overweight. Apparently they had changed the weight limit but had not updated it on their website. We ended up taking stuff out of the checked luggage and stuffing in all into our personal backpacks,dh even got on the plane with a pair of sneakers in his coat pockets. We were almost having to drag our backpacks (they were so heavy with adding so much stuff to them). I did tell the airline it was stupid cause the exact same weight was going on the flight, just in our personal bags rather than checked bags.

They changed the weight limit several years ago. And since Spirit's CEO has made it very clear that he doesn't care what you think I doubt your announcement that it was "stupid" really mattered LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter